HELP! Caloric intake with Insanity workout...

Options
I am beginning my second week of Insanity, and I'm really having a hard time wrapping my head around eating 1689 calories per day! I have been using My Fitness Pal to record my calories, and the more calories I enter in as my goal, the LESS it tells me I'll likely lose weekly, even though I enter that I'll be burning about 400 calories per day doing an intense work out. It's so frustrating to see that, and then read everywhere else that I should stick to the calories the Benedict Harris Formula tells me to consume while doing Insanity. I'm female, 41 years old, 5'8" and weigh 145lbs...but I weighed 140lbs when I started a week ago, and I'm afraid that my increased calories are the culprit.

I know not to utilize the scales to see my results, and to rely on measurements...and I know how to eat 5-6 small clean meals per day and have been doing so...but 5lbs in one week has me concerned! I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance that if I stick to this caloric guide, I will see some results after I've been doing this for a while longer. Is there anyone out there with similar build/age/weight to mine that can give me some help or reassurance? The BH formula tells me to eat 2189 calories to maintain my weight, and 1689 to lose it. Any input?

Replies

• elimage
    elimage Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm just a person trying to lose weight just like you. There a couple of factors I want to ask, (my daugher is 5'8 and big boned) so I can
    relate to you. 1. What is your frame? small, medium or large
    From what you wrote, for 140 pounds, is actually the correct weight for a medium body type. So if you are trying to lose weight
    you must be a small body frame and your goal would be about 126 give or take.

The gaining of 5 pounds doing the intense w/o that is normal, because you are also using either weights or body weight. You have to keep at it. You will actually see inches lost before you see weight loss on the scale. If you keep at it your everything will balance. You just have to be consistent. Now that being said my age is 49 and the older we get the slower we lose the weight. Believe me, you do not want to lose weight quickly at your age. The drawbacks are far worse.

I hope this helps.
    elimage
  • ItalianViolinist
    ItalianViolinist Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I just started Insanity about 2 weeks ago, and I have also gained weight, 5 lbs, while consistently staying under my calorie intake goal on MFP. I keep reading that it is a result of your muscles retaining water. This is due to 2 things, usually. First, your muscles are trying to get used to the intense workouts, and secondly, it's possible that you aren't drinking enough water. Don't despair! Keep going! :)
  • CrazyBeautifulCurves
    Options
    I'm only on my second day and I too am VERY wary as it tells me I should be eating 3220.11 calories a day and that is AFTER subtracting the 500 calories to lose weight !!! I'm 26, 5'7" 252 pounds... I've lost approx 150 pounds now but have NEVER eaten that many calories while trying to lose weight.... I only ate about 1200-1600 calories before but I did not exercise regularly and am now trying to incorporate that in but I can't wrap my head around eating this many calories. Maybe I did the calculations wrong but this just seems very wrong... I ordered a HRM which should get here some time next week so at least then I can see how many calories I'm actually burning during the Insanity work outs for now I've upped my calories to 2000 but that still seems like a lot if I want to lose weight.
    Sorry I didn't answer your question but hopefully someone can help us both!
  • JulieisaC
    JulieisaC Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm on my 7th week of Insanity, which I'm supplementing with 30-40 minute jogs and cycle eating from 1,300 to 1,800 calories a day of high-raw vegan meals. My energy levels are fine and I've maintained an average consistant weight loss of 2lbs per week. Listen to your body, not the nutrition manual, have a meal of 4:1 carb/protein ratio after intense workouts, eat clean and whole foods, and you'll be fine.
  • TLBrasier
    TLBrasier Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your responses! I do have a small frame, so my goal is to weight 125-130...and I guess I just need to be consistent with clean calories and the insanity workouts...and lots of water! That may be my downfall also...I'm not a water person and only drink straight water when I'm working out. I'll have to work on that! I'm going to follow advice here and utilize the calorie profile, but also listen to my body and do what feels best/healthy for me!

Good on all of us for setting some fitness and health goals, and going after them! Maybe together we can all get there! :)

CrazyBeautiful...your weight loss is awesome...congratulations! I wanted to tell you though, that when I did your caloric intake calculation, I got a different number than you did. This is what I got:

655 + 1096.2 (252lbs x 4.35) = 1751.20
    314.9 (67inches x 4.7) - 122.2 (26yrs x 4.7) = 192.7

1751.20 + 192.7 = 1943.9

1943.9 x 1.55 for moderately active = 3013 calories needed - 500 for weight loss = 2513 calories needed
    OR
    1943.9 x 1.7 for very active = 3304 calories needed - 500 for weight loss = 2804 calories needed

Good luck!!!! :)
  • bridies01
    bridies01 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I haven't done Insanity, but whenever I start an intense workout program, I tend to gain 2-3 lbs the first couple weeks. I think it has to do with water retention when your body is breaking down and rebuilding muscle. It happened when I started both P90X and TRX. Hopefully after a few weeks it will level out. There is no way you ate the additional 15,000+ cals that you would have needed to actually put on 5 lbs of fat (or muscle)
  • bbaker172
    bbaker172 Posts: 93
    Options
    Do any of you take supplements while doing insanity?

Magnesium can help keep muscles relaxed, notes MedlinePlus. Having too little magnesium in your body can cause muscle cramping. Magnesium is also essential for increasing muscle tone and improving the nervous system. This mineral will help your muscles receive signals from the brain to repair and contract faster.

Calcium should be taken alongside magnesium to promote muscle relaxation and repair of damaged tissues. After you exercise, microscopic tears are formed in the muscle tissue, and added calcium can help to repair the tissue

According to Life Clinic, vitamin A deficiency has been linked to deterioration of the joints, which is a leading factor in muscle aches. Vitamin A can help to repair muscle tissue and make muscles stronger.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/245364-vitamins-for-muscle-aches/#ixzz20ydviC9t

You have to remember how much damage you are doing to your body by doing these intense workouts, and you have to make sure you are taking the right supplements to help repair it.