12 hr shift nurse

Options
Working 12hr days can be so tiring and eating the right foods can be a challenge at time. Any suggestions for being successful when u work long shifts?

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Prep foods on your day off and package them so you have snacks and meals ready to go every day. Then, all you have to do is grab your containers before you leave & you're set! Get yourself a cute lunchbox to carry it all in. Take snacks, meals, and drinks with you so you have everything you need for the day.

I know 12hr shifts can be stressful (I've done them, my husband does them, several family members do them) but you just need to have a plan and be prepared.
  • klinkow
    klinkow Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    im a bartender and pulling long shifts are hard. i try to bring vegetable and some meat enough for 2 meals and space them apart by 5 or 6 hours so i dont get really hungry and eat vending machine foods.
  • sheneema
    sheneema Posts: 15
    Options
    Thanks, sounds like being prepared would be best to be successful. I try to cook enough to last for the long shifts. I just have to remember to make my meals in advance so I dont make bad food choices.
  • alexandrahusk
    alexandrahusk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I work 12 hour shifts as well and I totally understand where you are coming from! I plan the day ahead. I make a larger dinner so I can take a portion with me. Take fresh fruits and veggies to snack on and then a couple of other snack foods like greek yogurt or hummus and pretzel chips. I like canned tuna or small salads as well. I usually try to eat right before my shift so I am good to go for a couple of hours!
  • mistifiedrt
    mistifiedrt Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I also work 12 hour shifts during the day (7a-7p) I pack a bag every shift containing about 1000 cal of food including such things as from snack size cottage cheese, vegetables, yogurt, nuts, a microwavable lean cuisine meal, a piece of chocolate, slimfast and a protein bar. This gives me a variety of things to snack on and eat throughout the day to keep me satisfied and leaves me enough calories to still have a 300-500 cal dinner when I get home if I'm still hungry.