Heart Rate Monitors and Calorie question

Options
Hey guys!
So my two questions are this... Does anyone have a suggestion for a heart rate monitor? Im trying to find one that is good for showing me how many calories I'm burning at the gym. Also, when I put in my activity for the day I get more calories to eat, such as 800 more... should i actually be eating those to lose or should i just stick to eating 1200? Let me know your opinions! :-) Thanks everyone

Replies

• Dhemeyer
    Dhemeyer Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hello! Great questions :)
    I use the Polar FT 4. It's pretty basic, but it gives my cals burned, HR, time spent in my suggested HR zone, and functions as a regular watch. Additionally, it had a cest strap, therefor it's completely hands free; you won't have to fuss with pressing any buttons to get the info you desire.

I would recommend not eating back your exercise cals if you're still looking to lose weight and you're not struggling with your energy. If you suggested cal range is 1200 be sure your net cals are around there and forget about the cals you burned.

Best wishes!
  • JelaineO
    JelaineO Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    :happy: Awesome! Thank you so much for your advice! I have hit a horrible plateau and even have gained 10 back. ugh!
    As far as your monitor.. If you wear the chest strap do you have to wear the watch as well? I feel like if I wear the chest strap I'll ruin it with the amount of sweat that I produce! haha! If only wearing the watch does the job, I think I would rather stick with that. :bigsmile:
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I have the polar ft4, it's simple and nothing more than what you need! For the calories, that's hard because everyone has different views.
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    :happy: Awesome! Thank you so much for your advice! I have hit a horrible plateau and even have gained 10 back. ugh!
    As far as your monitor.. If you wear the chest strap do you have to wear the watch as well? I feel like if I wear the chest strap I'll ruin it with the amount of sweat that I produce! haha! If only wearing the watch does the job, I think I would rather stick with that. :bigsmile:

Yes, the chest strap is more accurate but the watch has to be close to the strap. And the strap is waterproof so your sweat won't ruin it, personal experience hahahah
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I also have the Polar FT4 and I love it! I push so much harder when I have it and it is super easy to use! And yes, I sweat a lot too and the strap is just fine. Just rinse it off and wash it every 5 or so workouts.
  • amclaws25
    amclaws25 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back my calories burned from my workouts in general. If I do, it's usually only 100-200 of them. I try to listen to my body. If I still feel very hungry after all is said and done and I worked out hard, I will have something small but high in protein. I lift hard and heavy weights, as well as my cardio so if I need it..... I eat it. :)

As far as the HRM goes, I wear the Reebok 1200 just because I got a smoking deal on it because the battery was dead. ($10.00) It has a chest strap and I SWEAT A LOT!! My shirt is drenched, especially under my boobs when I'm done. I have a large chest so the cleavage makes for a sweat magnet. LOL. It is designed to be used with sweat. The instructions tell you to wet the sensor pads before putting it on. I wouldn't worry about it getting ruined, :)
  • JelaineO
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input! I'm going to check out the monitors and will let you know what I pick ;-) Do you guys understand how to get the net calories you should be taking in?
  • wifeygrooms
    Options
    I got the polar FT4 as well and love it...Best $60 I could have spent!!! Water will not hurt it...You have to wet it anyway before putting it on...Watch and chest trap has to be on....As for calories I don't eat them back!!! And I got my HRM of bodytronics.com
  • JelaineO
    Options
    awesome!! Thanks! :-)
  • JelaineO
    Options
    I see them for 180.00 on polars website! holy moly!