Birthday Cake Help!!!

Options
faithchange
faithchange Posts: 311 Member
Saturday is my son's 4th birthday. Its not a huge deal that I get a piece of cake, but it would be nice to get a little since I'll be experimenting with a healthier version of it. Just wanted to ask a few questions here.

He wants a spice cake. I thought about either doing a soda pop addition in place of the eggs and oil it would only add 10 calories to the cake as a whole. Or, I thought of the yogurt thing or applesauce. Not sure what is the best...any ideas for healthy and still a good taste?

He wants Sponge Bob Square Pants so I was thinking about making marshmallow fondant....but not sure if that is the best idea. There is of course no fat, but tons of sugar with there being powder sugar in the recipe. Fondant probably makes the best look though compared to icing.???

Oh, I might mention that HE is also having normal cupcakes with frosting earlier in the day with his friends.

His character birthday cake for him and family will be after dinner Saturday. We always have leftovers and hubby is also doing MFP, so I was trying to cut back on calories and make as healthy as I could possibly do.

Thanks for the help!

Michelle

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    huh? it's a birthday cake. don't try to make a "healthy" version. for chrissakes.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Please don't bastardize the cake. It will be so much easier to make a standard, delicious cake, with tasty frosting... and you can still have a small piece and ENJOY it. (walk an extra 15 minutes that day, or spend a little more time on the elliptical, whatever you do).
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I agree with Taso. (always)

Once a year, indulge. Have a birthday cake that is delightful and decadent. Then get your butt back into the gym the next day.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    What Kort said...
  • WABeachWalker
    WABeachWalker Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    It isn't the little bit I have at the party that bother's me. It's the gigantic chunk of leftover cake that would get me. Now I encourage people to take home any leftovers. I have been known to throw away perfectly good leftover cake, but that has been on rare occasions! :)
  • faithchange
    faithchange Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    OK. You are all right! Yah, we will probably be throwing a way most of it. No one ever takes left overs. Thanks again...
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Although I hate wasting food, I will occasionally toss out leftover desserts. If I can't get people to take leftovers, and it's not something that freezes well, it's going in the trash, unfortunately.

But you know what??? It's worth it to have a piece of amazing birthday cake.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I take my leftovers to work
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I always do applesauce instead of oil, because it makes for such a wonderfully moist cake. And I use eggs because, really... they're about the only thing in the whole cake that has any nutritional value at all.

I did try diet soda cake once. It just turned out flat. And if it's for a party, some people have sensitivities to artificial sweeteners.

I use store bought fondant when I make fancy cakes. Over regular frosting. I don't look at the nutritional information on it, though. I don't log food on days I go to or throw a party.
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    fondant looks great and will make a beautiful cake and the character will look really good. it tastes like crap though. it is easy to Peel off though. if he likes fondant it is worth it. otherwise I would do fondant sponge Bob but a base of yummy icing.

I do bake routinely with yogurt and applesauce. I find it requires some optimization for each item because it does affect the texture.

I would just make the regular cake unless you are comfortable experiment with his cake.
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your cake. It's a once in awhile thing. If you really want to make it healthy, do applesauce instead of oil. Make your own cake and frosting. Most of the calories are in canned frosting.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    It is the 4 yr olds bday. Ask him what he wants. Make it, enjoy.
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I always use the applesauce instead of oil, just because I think it makes a better, moister cake. But I think you do need the eggs. (or at least the whites).

Good luck!
  • historygirldd
    historygirldd Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Could you take left overs to a soup kitchen?
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Pineapple Bliss Cupcakes/Cake

1 - box yellow cake mix
    1 - 20 oz can of crushed pineapple

Mix together. Pour into lined cupcake pan or buttered and floured cake pan. Bake as directed on the box.

This recipe has become a favorite of my husband. He loves pineapple. There are other good recipes on skinnytaste.com or skinnykitchen.com

that's where I found this recipe. Good luck
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Instead of throwing away what you don't eat, you could:
    1. take it to work tomorrow
    2. if you have a local Children's hospital, see if they have a Ronald McDonald type house and donate it - this would be a nice lesson for your son, too.
    3. My area has a domestic violence hotline center that's 24/7. My church often takes them leftovers after pot lucks
    4. Got a local fire station? I bet they'd love it.

I'm all about sharing the calories.
  • KaidaKantri
    KaidaKantri Posts: 401
    Options
    It's your 4yr old b'day. He should be allowed something special on his b-day. It's only once a year he get's a birthday, and he should enjoy it to it's fullest. Eat a slice, it wont hurt you, and do some extra exercise that day. As for the leftover cake if no one takes leftovers, take it to work. Your co-workers will love you for it.
  • DianneBoo
    DianneBoo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    If you want, make it with applesauce. But, let the Cupcakes be! It is great that u and hubby are working together on this, but unless ur son has a weight issue, he should be able to enjoy a regular cake. Allow urself to enjoy his day. A small piece should not derail you, especially if you take an extra 15-30 minutes that day to walk or workout. Just allow yourself to have fun...just like a 4 year old! :)
  • fit4change
    fit4change Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of fat ladden frosting... I just don't care for the taste and texture. I frost my yellow/white cakes with lite Cool-Whip. It tastes great and has so much less fat and calories. I made a soda cake the other day as well. My daughter's friend has an egg allergy. You just add a can of any flavor diet soda/seltezer and omit the eggs and oil. I have to say, I thought it had a nice flavor and texture. Much lighter than a typical cake. I think a spice cake with a diet orange or diet cream soda would be yummy... Not your typical birthday cake, but a healthier alternative you could still enjoy...and eat a bigger piece! ;-)
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    wasn't there a recipe posted on mfp that only had 2 ingredients, spiced cake and can of pumpkin. maybe you can have the best of both worlds. i agree with others though, make the cake yummy and enjoy a piece.