So discouraging!

Options
Why have I gained 2 pounds in the last few days and the scale continues to go up? I am still working out 6 x per week (3 cardio and 3 weight training, but on the weight training days I add in HIIT workouts from Turbofire which are 15 to 20 minutes of interval training). I am also following my calorie intake strictly (1200 to 1300 calories). I was eating back my workout calories and not losing weight, then started sticking to 1200 calories per day and dropped 4 pounds in 5 days and now I am creeping back up.

What is going on? I don't think I am doing anything wrong. I did just add the weights in last week, does that have anything to do with it? Before that, I was doing cardio 6 days per week. I am not doing wimpy resisitance training - I am doing P90X legs & back, chest & back, shoulders & arms.

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    What is your BMR?

What is your TDEE?

Eat MORE than your BMR. Eat LESS than your TDEE. Only eat back enough calories from exercise to keep your deficit between 500 and 1000 calories.
  • wcaamyg
    wcaamyg Posts: 8
    Options
    What is TDEE?
    My BMR is supposedly 1436 per MFP and 1541 per some other calculators. I have 45 pounds to lose.
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Since you just added on a new exercise routine, your muscles may be retaining water. Keep at it for a few weeks and then weigh/measure your inches.
  • wcaamyg
    Options
    The calculator that I found said that TDEE is between 2400 and 2600. So, if BMR is 1436 and TDEE is 2400 to 2600, how much should I eat?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Simple, your workout are causing your body to store water and glycogen. No biggie.You certainly didn't eat an extra 7000 calories over the last couple of days. Or did you??? Relax and stay the course and ignore the scale for a while.
  • wcaamyg
    Options
    You certainly didn't eat an extra 7000 calories over the last couple of days. Or did you???

Lol, no I most certainly did not! That makes me feel better when you put it into perspective like that. I am just in such a hurry to drop this weight that any backslide on the scale is discouraging.
  • mmlyn
    mmlyn Posts: 8
    Options
    This is really hard to do, but you need to stop chasing the scale. How is your body doing? Are you getting stronger? Looking better?

Muscle weighs more than fat. Body builders call this "recomposition".

Also, remember that you don't grow muscle in the gym...make sure you are getting enough rest so cortisol does not build up. If you are really concerned, start getting regular body fat measurements.

M
  • mmapags
    Options
    You certainly didn't eat an extra 7000 calories over the last couple of days. Or did you???

Lol, no I most certainly did not! That makes me feel better when you put it into perspective like that. I am just in such a hurry to drop this weight that any backslide on the scale is discouraging.

My apologies of I come across as a wise *kitten*. That is not my intent and I certainly understand the commitment to change and the desire to see results. But, tell me, when you started gaining weight, did you just start eating more and the weight just started going on?? We expect weight that took months and sometimes years to go on, to come off just because we decided it should.

It may take awhile. It may go up and down for awhile. You will gain and lose water weight. There are so many better things to measure your progress on than the scale. It is 3rd or 4th on the scale of importance. Are you getting fitter? Are you eating in a deficit? Are you dropping inches? The scale is the least reliable and most unkind measure of progress.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    The calculator that I found said that TDEE is between 2400 and 2600. So, if BMR is 1436 and TDEE is 2400 to 2600, how much should I eat?

Eat roughly 2000 calories a day, you should lose about a pound a week. If you want, throw in an hour long jog to speed up the loss. Try not to spend more than 1000 calories over what you've eaten in a day (so if you ate 1800, don't spend more than 2800).
  • wcaamyg
    Options

My apologies of I come across as a wise *kitten*. That is not my intent and I certainly understand the commitment to change and the desire to see results. But, tell me, when you started gaining weight, did you just start eating more and the weight just started going on?? We expect weight that took months and sometimes years to go on, to come off just because we decided it should.

It may take awhile. It may go up and down for awhile. You will gain and lose water weight. There are so many better things to measure your progress on than the scale. It is 3rd or 4th on the scale of importance. Are you getting fitter? Are you eating in a deficit? Are you dropping inches? The scale is the least reliable and most unkind measure of progress.

No, I totally didn't get upset by your comment. I thought it was funny! :) To answer your question, no I didn't start eating more at all. I have lost a couple inches off of my waist and my hips. I am definitnely eating at a deficit. Guess I have to just keep plugging away...

I am actually wondering if I may need to "up" my calories a little since I am staying at 1200 to 1300 regardless of my calories burned when working out. I have heard that sometimes not eating enough calories can stall weight loss.
  • mmapags
    Options

No, I totally didn't get upset by your comment. I thought it was funny! :) To answer your question, no I didn't start eating more at all. I have lost a couple inches off of my waist and my hips. I am definitnely eating at a deficit. Guess I have to just keep plugging away...

I am actually wondering if I may need to "up" my calories a little since I am staying at 1200 to 1300 regardless of my calories burned when working out. I have heard that sometimes not eating enough calories can stall weight loss.

If your goal is as low as 1200 or 1300, definitly eat back exercise cals! If not your netting to low and could stall or cause metabolic and hormonal issues that could be counter productive. Sounds like you are making great progress and I'm rooting for you for that to continue.