How do you stay motivated?

Options
I have been on MFP for over 7 months, and for the last 3 - 4 months I have been going up and down the same 3 lbs. I'm not entirely unhappy with that, I'm at a healthy weight, but I'm mainly concerned that I just don't have the motivation to get up and work out anymore. I also start off the day eating well and tracking but I just give up by the end of the day.

I think a lot of it is to do with my work. I'm terribly terribly stressed, so is my whole team, and morale is really low. We all feel like we are working and working and getting nowhere, the work just keeps piling up, clients are complaining and putting us under pressure, and we don't want to let them down. I am an incredibly optimistic person and I just feel defeated every day when I go to work.

We/ve talked to the head of our department, and hopefully it will get better. However, I know that I feel worse because I'm too stressed to sleep well (after working 12 - 15 hour days), then I'm too tired to work out, so then I'm more stressed, so then I eat crap, and it's a cycle.

Any thoughts on how I can turn the cycle around? Have you been in a similar position? Any help welcome!

Replies

• LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I'm wiped out just reading about your day : ( I'm sure it's hard to stay motivated under those conditions....honestly, I would look for a new job. Unless this is just a busy time at work, that is no way to live - 12-15 hour days and even still clients are happy. That's a tough one!

If another job isn't an option, make time for yourself by scheduling it, like an appointment and keep it. Make yourself a priority.

As far as finding motivation to keep at it, I usually set new goals for myself. It might be a faster time, a further distance for running or it might be to have a certain old favorite pair of jeans to fit again.

Good luck sweetie!
  • mmlyn
    mmlyn Posts: 8
    Options
    Yup, this is your life your talking about here. Unless you are a Buddhist Monk, you only get one shot at it! :-)

You need more staff and you need to stop taking the whole load on yourself. Changing jobs is not easy, and financial stability is obviously important.... keep the pressure up on management - they need to come up with a solution.

Sleep, exercise and eating right will help you live longer and healthier, which *should* be the motivation that you are looking for.

Good luck,
    M
  • brookef81
    brookef81 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I think that you have the motivation...you have found a workout that you love, that is not the issue. Your job is consuming you :( I hope that some of what you are experiencing at work will ease up a little bit. What is sad is that everyone I am talking to in all different fields of work is experiencing what you are, overworking-stress, etc.

I hope that things get better for you, I am here for you :)
  • Sweeterescape
    Options
    Thanks all, I think what I needed is a bit of perspective!

You are all absolutely right, this is my life and that is most important. Got up this morning and did my workout, yes I will have a little less time at work but that's worth it!

We definitely need more staff and I think that will be the solution in the long run. It's just hanging in there while they're recruiting for support staff! Our paralegal left and they thought it would save money not to replace her...big mistake! I have looked other places but the specific work I do is very rare...there are only a handful of firms in the country that do it (one of the reasons why I'm so busy) so I feel very lucky to be where I am. Hopefully they will sort out the support issues and we'll get there.

In the meantime, I need to focus on my health and put it first. I can do this! Thank you all for your support!
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    you-can-do-it.jpg
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    you-can-do-it.jpg

best advice ever!!
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    The bicycle!
  • vger11
    vger11 Posts: 248
    Options
    hope you can get some yoga in...sometimes, for me, it's better than cardio.
  • glow7
    glow7 Posts: 8
    Options
    I really relate to to what you are dealing with. If a couple of the statements were changed, we would have the same story.
    As far as what keeps me motivated...now...cuz i was alot like you. Ive been on this program for a long time but didnt use it consistently. On July 4th, I got on this site and decided to try to make friends and read the posts. In doing so, I met Charity, she and I became friends and we started messaging back and forth. Her advice really helped me and motivated me.

One thing I decided was that there is one thing in this life that I can control...what goes in my mouth. I, like you, eat my stress. That was my downfall. I am at a "healthy" weight but I didn't feel good. I wanted to be in control of myself and knew I couldn't continue to yo yo.

I started making myself log on the site and am trying to keep my calories in range. Last night when I wanted to eat an entire pie and container of ice cream...I went for a walk with a friend, then came home and had a very small slice and not even a whole scoop of ice cream.

I also decided to weigh weekly and measure my waist. I did that this am and had lost 3 # and 1/2"!!!
  • Sweeterescape
    Options
    you-can-do-it.jpg

This completely made my day. Thanks for that!
  • Sweeterescape
    Options
    Thanks all! Day 1 was a success (okay, so I ate fairly crap food, but it was within cals at least - baby steps) and I WILL keep on going tomorrow! Your support has really helped!