Going on a trip, what should I do?

Options
For my birthday I've decided semi-last minute that I wanted to go with a dear friend to disneyland. What I'm concerned about is that they apparently do not allow outside food... and from my previous experiences the food that they DO have isn't exactly the healthiest of options.

I also know that I'm not going to be able to log any exercise that day because we're leaving at god-awful-o'clock in the morning and I won't have enough time to squeeze in anything substantial. I know there's tons of walking to do there but I feel like that's cheating to put that down as exercise because it's a slow pace, constant stops, and I'm not entirely sure HOW I would log it.

I know I could just go "Oh well it's a binge day" but I feel like I've already had one this month and I don't wanna mess up any more than I have to.. Especially so since I felt so absolutely terrible after going out on that binge night, I just can't imagine how depressing it'd be to see the numbers rack up again.

Any words of wisdom to make this trip at least semi-guilt free? I don't want to wrack my brain with worry on a big milestone birthday.. but I also don't want to throw caution to the wind either. I don't intend on getting sweets or snacky foods like churros/chips (at worst I'd get a pickle or something), but with a 1200 calorie diet that doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room for the kinds of food they sell there for my lunch/dinner. Anyone else go to disneyland enough to know what to steer clear of? Or have ideas to make this a little less indulgent?

Replies

• MaddiJoseph
    MaddiJoseph Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    when I went in may I logged my walking at 2 mph and logged about a quarter of the actual time I was there. You're moving around so it should count. Beyond that I found most of the restraunts had grilled chicken sandwich or something of that ilk. Skip fries and go with water. as for snacks I know that they have a couple of fruit type stands in the park, one on main and one in adventure land I think. Good luck and try to avoid the seriously bad stuff. No turkey legs or ice cream sandwiches and remember it's supposed to be fun not stressful! enjoy!
  • mmlyn
    mmlyn Posts: 8
    Options
    I agree - Disney and other big places are catering more and more to people trying to be health conscious.

Just order carefully - low fat proteins, no fried stuff, cheese or enormous deserts.

On the other hand, you can relax a BIT on holiday - don't berate yourself for not eating perfectly as you will bu unhappy. BTW, for me, that Turkey Leg *IS* my reward for taking the kids to Disney!

M
  • lstone03
    lstone03 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Do they stamp your hand and allow you to go to the parking lot? I used to live by a six flags and we'd just pack coolers and eat at the car.
  • Its_Nat
    Its_Nat Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Throw some muesli bars or snack bars in your bag, you can even chop up some salad and throw in your bag, you know; carrot sticks, celery sticks, baby tomatoes are all good to munch on if you you're feeling hungry. Then just eat something 'normal' for lunch, as fat free as you can get it.. but don't stress over it. It's just one day in the week, let yourself enjoy it!
  • KaidaKantri
    KaidaKantri Posts: 401
    Options
    I agree with Istone, see i f you can do that. It sounds really lame that they wouldn't have healthyish food there. :\
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Take a meal break and go out to Downtown Disney. There's quite a few restaurant options there. Try La Brea Bakery for a salad or Brennans for some seafood gumbo.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    First, they totally don't check bags...you could easily pack some stuff to snack on and bottles of water. I know that at the restaurant by where they do the Star Wars Jedi training has a yummy Grilled Chicken Sandwich with Avocado...you will be walking tons so I wouldn't worry tooooo much!
  • RedHotRunner
    Options
    Take a meal break and go out to Downtown Disney. There's quite a few restaurant options there. Try La Brea Bakery for a salad or Brennans for some seafood gumbo.
    Oh, and there are plenty of stands inside the park that sell fresh fruit.
  • RedHotRunner
    Options
    when I went in may I logged my walking at 2 mph and logged about a quarter of the actual time I was there. You're moving around so it should count. Beyond that I found most of the restraunts had grilled chicken sandwich or something of that ilk. Skip fries and go with water. as for snacks I know that they have a couple of fruit type stands in the park, one on main and one in adventure land I think. Good luck and try to avoid the seriously bad stuff. No turkey legs or ice cream sandwiches and remember it's supposed to be fun not stressful! enjoy!
    I do the same. I read somewhere that the average Disneyland visitor walks 5 miles during the course of the day. I think you should at least get a little credit for that.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    You're on your feet walking around for hours ..... it most definitely IS exercise :drinker:

Have a GREAT time !
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I just spent 5 weeks traveling (Sweden and South Africa) and managed to stay with my diet. Not Disneyland, but lots of lousy food options. In the past, I spent a lot of time traveling for work.

1. Eat vegetarian if it's available. Then choose fish, ehicken, and beef. Pick things without sauces.

2. Keep looking for healthy choices and when you find someplace that has them, keep going back. Buy sandwiches and don't eat the bread/rolls. Split too large servings with your friend (or stick it in a bag and eat it later). Order salad with DRESSING ON THE SIDE. Lots of places now have fresh fruit and yummy fruit salad.

3. Any whole meat (chicken, ribs, burger, steak) is better than things like hot dogs or sausage or luncheon meat.

4. And walk, walk, walk, walk, walk.

5. Don't eat desserts or heavy fried food.

It will be fine. Just be conscious.
  • eemorton
    eemorton Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am assuming Disneyland has the same rules as Disney? I absolutely took my own food into Disney. We had a small cooler in our stroller with bottled water, cheese sticks, nuts, etc. Also, most places had a healthy option. You can go to allears.net and look at menus ahead of time and track before you go.

Also - I was there for 5 days and didn't track and allowed myself some treats. When I came home I was up .2. Don't discount all the walking!
  • carini_wini
    carini_wini Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've never been a big dessert person, luckily enough, so that shouldn't be a big problem.

Does anyone know if they have a nutritional information packet somewhere? That way I can see what I'm getting into ahead of time and avoid the hold up when I sit down to eat? I know they have the menus, but the information there is just a basic description and that's about it.