Serious Ques That Sounds "Unbelievable"...

Options

Replies

• kGagnon064
    kGagnon064 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My love, have you ever had your thyroid checked and if so what was your TSH??

Krista Gagnon RPh, Bsc.Phm, CGP
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    can you open your diary to public, there may be some clues in there for some of the experts on here. :)
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options

I should only have taken 2 weeks to "readjust" to the new consumption, right?

*sigh*

I don't think that's true. I think it can take quite a few more weeks... if you check out the group "Eat More to Weight Less" (click the "groups" heading up above) and read about the metabolic reset, it's suggested you do it for 8 full weeks before resuming a cut.

Just check out the group and read the stickies. It may not be for you, but it may be just what you need. Some weight gain is to be expected during the process though.

THIS!!! ^^^^
    It will take more than 2 weeks, especially since you have been eating so low for so long. You will likely see an initial gain, then maintenance, then start losing again. Check out the group as the previous poster mentioned. In that group they advise giving it a full 6 weeks before you change the plan or give up. It really can make a huge difference. Hang in there!
  • tansygreen
    tansygreen Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It does sound like maybe a thyroid problem. A friend of mine has had the same trouble, but once she was put on medication for her underactive thyroid, a few weeks later she started watching her calories again and the weight just started dropping off. She was so amazed as she had been struggling with this for years.

If not, then like others have said it could well be the measurements of food or calories burned. I don't know what you're doing about measuring calories burned and eating them back, but they can be really overestimated. I totally believe in eating back exercise calories, I just don't trust the estimates of how many are burned during certain activities.

Good luck, definitely check out the thyroid thing your doctor can test for this really easily.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    ... I have read, listened, done trial & error, read some more, (on top of being under the supervision of my primary care doctor)...

If I eat a NET of more than 800-1000 calories, I gain.

I started this journey in July 2011 at 287 pounds. I reached a low in April 2012 of 235. This morning, I was 247. Since then, we have gone on our anniversary vacation (2 weeks in Hawaii in May), we've had 2 birthday parties, and quite a few cookouts with friends. I will openly admit that I didn't do much in the way of "keeping tabs" on my consumption during those times.

When we got back from Hawaii, I was 240. And in between all the parties, I *have* done due diligence in monitoring my intake.

However, I have been stuck in the 235-245 range since the end of February.

I went back to the doctor in June, after struggling to find my "groove" - those initial 40 pounds went away and stayed away - but its been a struggle ever since. I have read that I should increase calories, decrease working out (I do 5 days a week, MOST of the time),/change my workouts (which I've done), and that my program which was NET 750 calories wasn't healthy.

I changed it to NET 1200 (based on some Fat 2 Fit, I believe? calculations I saw posted on this site) and whenever I go OVER 800 calories, no matter what KIND of calories they are, I experience a gain. It absolutely never fails.

So, I apologize for being long winded, but I am hoping that SOMEONE here has experienced this, and can help me understand, which is why I wanted to be as detailed as possible.

ANYone understand this?????

I'm beyond -- I mean REALLLLLLY beyond -- frustrated.

TIA!

You dont know what you are doing.

Fire your doctor and hire me.

Read this:http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

This will start you out on the right foot.

People who gain on more than 1000cals a day are people with gastric bypass and people who are 2 foot tall.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's scientifically possible to gain mass at a true caloric deficit. So either your estimate of what you burn is wrong, or of what you intake, or both (most of us it's both). Or water weight is messing with you. But a pound a week of water weight for 8 weeks sounds fishy.

Could it possibly be your tracking? Do you track all days, even holidays? Do you have cheat meals or days that don't get tracked? Can you try a week without exercising or without 'eating back' to remove that estimate from the equation?

I have to agree. Unfortunately 99.99% of people who say they are gaining on a deficit aren't logging 100%. A nibble here and there add up. There have been studies that show people who say they gain on 1000 calories actually lose when they are locked up and fed exactly that many.
  • richiefixo
    richiefixo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    babe! i totally get where you are at..i have been there too... but thankfully i figured it out quickly. YOU NEED TO NET AT 1400 - 1500 for a looooooooooooooooong time!.....the initial gain you experience is not fat rather its water. the more carbs you take in the more water your body holds. 1g of glycogen holds about 4 grams of water....so the extra calories that consists of carbs will hold (the extra) X 4g of water weight. you have to be consistent at your new net and allow your body enough time to adjust to the new caloric intake and work itself around it. any lower is dangerous and you risk regain once you "take a break". Keep working out.....shuffle your intensity. so one day gooo very hard the other day light and stretching,....medium etc....shock your body back into weight loss mode and dont forget to lift weights! you will not gain bulky muscles i promise you....

I hope i have been able to help....feel free to contact me for more info. iv been through it all! (I think) hehe.

Stay beautiful

Richard :)
  • DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1
    DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Have you seen an endocrinologist? This may be more than calories in calories out. I would have your thyroid checked as well as your resistance to insulin.
    Are you also drinking enough water?
    I personally think 700-800 calories is way to low...couple that with appetite pills, I think your body is just plain confused.
    I would get your hormones tested and speak to a nutritionist. Your primary care physician has had maybe 2 hours of education in form of nutrition. Good luck.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Even with thyroid issues, it's calories in vs. out, it's just that the 'calories out' is lower than the calculators predict. But definitely see a doctor.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Definitely give yourself more time at a higher caloric intake.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    This is a easy one. If your eating so little your really depleting your glycogen stores (where your energy comes from). If you eat more, your glycogen is going to come back (thankfully). Usually when people get stuck like this they eat at maintenance for a few weeks. Yep you'll gain, but I wouldn't call those gains fat. And when you take a cut again (after a few weeks) all that weight and more should come off.
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Have you been tested for insulin resistance or metabolic syndrome? Your description of your problem fits. You should eat a balance of carbs and proteins. No more than two carb servings per meal or snack (30 grams) and two protein servings (14 grams) plus any non-starchy veggie. You can eat more protein than carbs but not more carbs than protein. You should eat every 2-3 hours to keep your insulin levels level. Excess carbs are stored as glycogen for about two hours and then either used or stored as fat. The body finds it easier to use protein from muscle for energy than stored fat so eating more protein will result in stored fat being used. There is an excellent book, The Insulin-Resistant Diet by Cheryle R Hart and Mary Kay Grossman (an MD and RD respectively), that explains it much better. If you haven't been tested then you should ask your PC next visit. It's difficult enough to lose but barriers put up by our bodies can almost defeat a person. Having the knowledge and tools to be successful is mandatory. Good luck in your journey!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    less carbs!
    more protein and vegetables.
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    less carbs!
    more protein and vegetables.

Not necessarily true, depends on what kind of carbs she's eating. Simple carbs do need to be reduced or even eliminated. The body and especially the brain needs some complex carbs. Carbs just can't be eaten on their own.
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    What type of exercise are you doing?
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    In the past, I have had some of the same issues. What I do now is;
    I weigh or measure everything (everything).
    I log everything (everything) that goes in my mouth.
    When eating out, never guess how many calories. If you can't find out and work it into your plan, don't eat it.
    A few "little" errors in judgment when estimating how much of a certain food you eat, can sabotage the whole program.
    I don't use the calories burned in the database.
    If I had to bet my life, I would bet they are overestimated. If you use those numbers, eat about half of them back.

Since I started going by these rules, I don't have anymore mysteries, like gee, why did I gain weight this week instead of lose weight?

Edit: Oh, and revisit your MFP setup. Make sure you are choosing the right lifestyle setting, etc.

And most of all.. be honest with yourself.
  • wheezybreezy
    wheezybreezy Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Two weeks is not enough time to let your metabolism catch up. Ignore the scale.. Eat at your maintenance for maybe two whole months and then start cuting calories.

ETA: I highly doubt you are underestimating your food if you're eating a little over 1000/day.
  • maylene1853
    Options

I should only have taken 2 weeks to "readjust" to the new consumption, right?

*sigh*

I don't think that's true. I think it can take quite a few more weeks... if you check out the group "Eat More to Weight Less" (click the "groups" heading up above) and read about the metabolic reset, it's suggested you do it for 8 full weeks before resuming a cut.

Just check out the group and read the stickies. It may not be for you, but it may be just what you need. Some weight gain is to be expected during the process though.

THIS!!! ^^^^
    It will take more than 2 weeks, especially since you have been eating so low for so long. You will likely see an initial gain, then maintenance, then start losing again. Check out the group as the previous poster mentioned. In that group they advise giving it a full 6 weeks before you change the plan or give up. It really can make a huge difference. Hang in there!

this...i believe the same. you need to reset your metabolism and this takes longer than 2 weeks! also you might try cycling your calories....
  • Josette89
    Josette89 Posts: 244
    Options
    I eat more , exercise more, drink a ton of water, and make an effort to meet my calorie intake goal and eat my worked off calories back. I have been gradually cutting down my calorie intake. I was at 1480, right now I'm at 1300. I'm gonna keep it here for a while. I've lost 17 pounds in the first 7 weeks. I think that is pretty good. So I'm just going to keep this up. :) You know your body, sometimes it just takes trial and error. Good Luck!
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I agree with what most of the posters said previously. What I have to add is asking what you have your daily activity level set at? Sedentary? If you don't have it set at sedentary and you are logging and eating back exercise calories, that would be a problem. Anything above sedentary already accounts for exercise so you'd be eating your exercise calories twice.