Pregnancy and HIIT workouts?

Options
Amy_B
Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
I have been working out for years, but I haven't really been good at sticking with it during pregnancy. I plan to continue on with my basic routine during this new pregnancy. I have been doing Turbo Fire, strength training, and running. My question is, does anyone know if it's okay to continue on with HIIT training during pregnancy as long as I feel okay? I am only 4 weeks now, but I would like to know about this for the rest of the 8 months. Thanks!

(I know I should ask my doctor, but I don't see him for 4 weeks, and I want to workout now. LOL)

Replies

• Exna
    Exna Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I was doing the HIIT workouts from Trubo fire.. My doctor told me that anything that keeps me out of breath is a NO NO ... and since the HIIT workouts do this for you I do all the modifications, I tried to do the HIIT workouts during my 1st trimester but my back was killing me... everyone is different... I am now at 18 weeks and still doing TF with some modifications.....
  • Amy_B
    Options
    I thought maybe if I followed Allie (sp?) during the HIITs, it might be okay. I have a friend who's done lots of TF and run a marathon while pregnant. Hmmm...
  • daddyzgrrl28
    Options
    My doctor has always told me that it's okay to continue the physical activity you're already doing while you're pregnant. She also says to listen to your body as the pregnancy progresses. Following the modifications and removing the jumps would help prevent injury as your joints are more loose during pregnancy and you're more prone to injury. Plus, your center of gravity is different so you're prone to be off balance and fall more easily. From my experiences (i've been preggers 4 times) I'd say you'd be fine to continue with TF through your first trimester definitely. I'd talk to your doctor about the rest. I'm sure you'll get the green light because you're already fit! Happy baby growing! :-D
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I stopped doing Insanity when I found out I was pregnant - I just do zumba now and modify so I don't jump or spin. I think it's important to be active, but cautiously active - that's how my doctor put it. You can call and ask your doctor what they think, but I would imagine running is still fine so long as you were doing it previously. I would take the HIIT down a few notches, though. And I've never done TF, but again, as long as your intensity isn't too high, I would think it would be okay as long as you're careful.
  • sandy729
    sandy729 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to wear a HRM and keep my HR under 140. But we conceived through IVF so I may be considered high risk for a while. Not sure.
  • jessicaw41
    jessicaw41 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am a certified personal trainer. We are always taught that as long as you listen to your body you should be able to do everything you were doing before. If you get light headed take it easy. However, workout! get your heart rate up, sweat and have fun! keeps you happier, healthier and makes pregnancy easier if you keep it up!
  • Amy_B
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I will listen to my body. :smile: