Should I Keep or Get Rid of My "Fat Clothes"??

Options
Hello everyone!

So as I sit here reorganzing my closet I'm realizing that almost half of what I own no longer fits me.. in fact it is practically falling off me . I think this is great, in fact I love it because it is confirmation of my weight loss. However, I now have all these clothes that are too big for me and are just taking up space in my closet.

The only problem is if I donate everything that doesn't fit me I will be giving away half of my wardrobe. lol Not to mention alot of these clothes I just bought a month or so ago.

I don't know what to do.

Should I hang on to them or let them go?

Replies

• emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I'm keeping one shirt, and one pair of pants! =) It is good to get rid of them, put it behind you! Keep something to remind that you never wanna go back though!
  • mgs68pony
    mgs68pony Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I say get rid of them as fast oas possible! haha!

I get rid of mine for two reasons:

1) I NEVER want to be this size again and I think it would to easy to slowly get back into that Old groove if I knew the old clothes where still there

2) They would most likely be out of style, since I do NOT plan of wearing them anytime soon.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options

The only problem is if I donate everything that doesn't fit me I will be giving away half of my wardrobe. lol

So you're going to hang on to half of your wardrobe... that doesn't fit? No way, make someone less fortunate one stylish bitty. Make room for better clothes. You deserve it!
  • mmwerner
    mmwerner Posts: 22 Member
    Options

The only problem is if I donate everything that doesn't fit me I will be giving away half of my wardrobe. lol

So you're going to hang on to half of your wardrobe... that doesn't fit? No way, make someone less fortunate one stylish bitty. Make room for better clothes. You deserve it!

You have a great point, if it doesn't fit why keep it.
  • gibsy
    gibsy Posts: 112
    Options
    If you have any nice pieces in there you'd miss, you could always try having them altered to fit! Some alterations are really quite easy to do, or cheap to have a tailor do if you're not one to sew. Or whatever, if it makes you feel better, get rid of them. Otherwise I don't think it hurts to hold onto a couple of your favourite things and just pack them away. I've been holding onto my favourite thin clothes I haven't fit into in 3 or 4 years, may as well keep my favourite pieces in any size, I figure. It doesn't even have to be about hedging your bets- maybe a friend will need to borrow that special dress a few months from now?
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Have the nice stuff altered and put the rest in a suitcase for a year just in case you need it again.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    If you can get some of the clothes tailored, that would be best so you can reuse them at your current size. If not, donate and let someone else enjoy them!
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Donate!!
  • droogievesch
    droogievesch Posts: 202
    Options
    Okay, does anyone know of a swap group here? I think it would be a wonderful idea if we could trade clothes amongst ourselves. Maybe her "fat clothes" are my "skinny clothes" or vice versa. I just lost enough weight to drop a pants size, but I still am wearing my pants too big since I can't afford to go out and buy new clothes. I know I'm not the only one with this problem (what to do with old clothes, when to buy new, how much new to buy, etc.). Would this be against MFP rules?
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    send them packing. Donate them to a charity, burn them in a cermony while you chant, put them in the garbage. There is no going back!
  • happythermia
    happythermia Posts: 374
    Options
    I totally know the feeling. Which is why I've stopped buying clothes (or I buy them a little too small lol)

I say GET RID OF THEM - unless it's a piece that you absolutely LOVE. And throw yourself a damn party! lol

I think the most annoying part of shrinking out of your clothes is the droopy underoos!
  • espohre
    espohre Posts: 6
    Options
    Get rid of them unless you see a pregnancy in your near future! LOL
  • marissa4354
    marissa4354 Posts: 140
    Options
    Okay, does anyone know of a swap group here? I think it would be a wonderful idea if we could trade clothes amongst ourselves. Maybe her "fat clothes" are my "skinny clothes" or vice versa. I just lost enough weight to drop a pants size, but I still am wearing my pants too big since I can't afford to go out and buy new clothes. I know I'm not the only one with this problem (what to do with old clothes, when to buy new, how much new to buy, etc.). Would this be against MFP rules?

I think this is a wonderful idea!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    DONATE EVERYTHING THAT DOESN'T FIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's what I've done about 6 times over already!!
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    Keep them...but NOT TO WEAR! Keep the nice sweaters..good fabrics and do some no-sew pillows. Check pinterest for other ideas, But I love the idea of re-purposing. Besides, who wouldn't want to say "That pillow used to be the size of my butt!" lol!
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I say get rid of the fat clothes...permanently!
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Keeping them make it to easy to let yourself go and get back into them I had that problem and spent most of the afternoon trying on clothes and bagging up the big ones...hanging up the to little ones. I kept my biggest shirt and my biggest jeans to see where I started. I don't want to ever go there again.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I'm debating if I should get new workout pants because mine are falling down when I workout but what if I lose more and the new pants are then too big as well? lululemon are $80 a pair!
  • droogievesch
    droogievesch Posts: 202
    Options

I think this is a wonderful idea!

I think I may start one if no one knows of one already. Like I said before, I'm too cheap to buy clothes that fit and the small amount of clothes that do fit are getting really tiresome. Even if I don't swap for a smaller size, I'd still love to just get new pieces in my wardrobe! It seems like nobody here has a problem with donating, so maybe we can even set it up to be a shipping charge only or something of that nature.
  • Brunchstress
    Options
    First of all, congrats on your loss. You are stunning and I bet you feel great!

Do NOT keep clothes that don't fit you in your closet. You will do better on your weight loss journey if you look and feel good in your current sized clothes.

You would be surprised what things can sell for on ebay. Put them in outfits and start the bidding at a price you would feel comfortable getting. Or take them to a consignment shop like Plato's Closet. Lots of consignment shops do trades and will give you more in trade than they would in cash.

Another option is to find a friend who is your old size and see if she has anything she'd like to trade in your current size sitting around. My best friend and I have been pregnant at different times and that's worked really well for us!

I'm so happy for you! Good luck cleaning!