Quality Food Scale

Options
uzit_13
uzit_13 Posts: 41 Member
I know there are digital food scales that will give you the nutritional info on the food you weigh. So far I've seen the EatSmart scale, the Taylor ''Biggest Looser'' and Salter scales. These scales provide nutritional info on either 900 or 1400 products, some let you add foods, some don't.

Are there any others out there? Any suggestions on which work best?

Replies

• r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i was coming here to ask the same question!! :-)
  • rainman3k
    rainman3k Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I use the Perfect Portions scale, it has over 2000 items.

http://www.perfectportionsscale.com/
  • fabandfunat51
    fabandfunat51 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    We got the generic brand I guess you could say of scale at Walmart - it was $15.00 less than the biggest loser scale, and the box indicated it did the same things as the BL scale. Seriously, this thing is AWESOME! Glass scale top, digital, measures grams, oz, everything you need - EASY to use. I can't imagine doing this now without it.
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    My scale doesn't give nutrition information that's what MFP is for but it does however weigh stuff very well and it was less than 20 dollars.
  • uzit_13
    Options
    My scale doesn't give nutrition information that's what MFP is for but it does however weigh stuff very well and it was less than 20 dollars.

How do you get accurate calories for food of various sizes? For example, a small apple will have less calories than a big one. How do you get around that?
  • uzit_13
    Options

Which scales have you looked at, or are thinking about?
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options

How do you get accurate calories for food of various sizes? For example, a small apple will have less calories than a big one. How do you get around that?

Weight in grams tells me the calories.
    Are you talking about the fancy scales that tell you the fat, sugar, carbs, etc?
    I don't need something that exact... I can't obsess that much or I'd be scared to eat out of my house.
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options

That is all that my scale does too...and I'm pleased as punch with it.
  • mom24littleones
    Options

I have a regular, digital scale that measures oz. and grams...it works great and is very accurate, plus it was probably $20 bucks or less. In regard to the example of an apple, remember when you weigh an apple, it includes the core (which you don't eat), so it's best to cut it and weigh it anyway...same with an orange...weigh after you peel it...

Like another poster said, if you are looking for the specifics of fat/carbs/sugars, then go more "fancy" on your scale, but it really isn't that necessary. Remember,eating TOO much fruit is usually NOT what got us to the place of wanting to lose weight, nor is it what keeps us from losing it :)

A general idea on fruit is fine; worry more about weighing cheeses, meats and/or grains...

Hope that helps!
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    I got the Salter scale for around $30 and love it. It tells you the exact calories, carb grams, etc. for 1400 foods (I believe it is 1400). Easy to use, easy to store. Recommended by a nutritionist.
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I use the Perfect Portions scale, it has over 2000 items.

http://www.perfectportionsscale.com/

I checked out this scale at the link you provided and it really looks like a good scale!!! Thanks for providing the link!
  • uzit_13
    Options
    I got the Salter scale for around $30 and love it. It tells you the exact calories, carb grams, etc. for 1400 foods (I believe it is 1400). Easy to use, easy to store. Recommended by a nutritionist.

My dietician suggested the Salter scale too which is why I'm looking into this type of scale.
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options

Which scales have you looked at, or are thinking about?

the only one i had seen was the eatsmart ( i think that's what it's called??)

i just started looking though, and thought MFP would be a great place to get advice on scales!!

the salter scale sounds like a good deal!! i might go with that one. :-)
  • uzit_13
    Options
    Anyone else have suggestions?
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    mom24littleon wrote:

...apple, it includes the core (which you don't eat)

Some of us eat the core. Trying to avoid the core just misses out on good apple. I've probably got several trees growing inside me.