Bake my own bread or buy Ezekiel?

Options
So I just entered in the ingredients for a recipe of homemade bread I want to try. I ended up with the below macros:

Homemade Wheat Bread
148 calories a slice (12 slices off a loaf)
4 grams of fat
2 grams of fiber
26 grams of carbs

The Ezekiel bread I buy has about 80 calories a slice, five grams of fiber, and eight grams of protein, as well as only one gram of fat. Unlike other breads, it has no preservatives, so it has to be referigerated/frozen until use...after which it molds in about five days. The reason I'm thinking of making my own bread is that the Ezekiel bread in my area is like $5 a loaf...

Am I better off making bread or buying Ezekiel?

Replies

• HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thoughts from anyone out there?
  • rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    Based on those numbers, go with Ezekiel. There are other high-fiber breads with lower calories per slice, but it looks like the Ezekial is good for protein also. Good pick.
  • jlcl119
    jlcl119 Posts: 51
    Options
    We buy Ezekiel, it's also $5 a loaf for us.
    I think it tastes great and the convenience factor of not having to make my own (and I do enjoy baking, I just don't want to be responsible for such a staple) offsets the cost of it for our family.
  • Ariana_75
    Ariana_75 Posts: 224
    Options
    Go with the Ezekiel
  • DivaJadelyn
    DivaJadelyn Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    If cost is concerning you you could experiment with other recipes to come up with something similar to Ezekiel yet more cost effective. I bake at home or use Flat Outs. :)
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I think you should really consider if you want to be responsible for baking bread every 5 days at the least. You wouldn't be using preservatives so it would also go bad pretty quickly.

Personally, I use Flatouts, and whole wheat pita breads as my main sources of carbohydrates. Both are awesome and you can do things like make chips out of the Flatouts and shove some things that people would think are really very odd on a sandwich in a pita, lol!
  • DivaJadelyn
    DivaJadelyn Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I think you should really consider if you want to be responsible for baking bread every 5 days at the least. You wouldn't be using preservatives so it would also go bad pretty quickly.

Personally, I use Flatouts, and whole wheat pita breads as my main sources of carbohydrates. Both are awesome and you can do things like make chips out of the Flatouts and shove some things that people would think are really very odd on a sandwich in a pita, lol!

Very valid point, but I can say when I was baking bread rather than buying it wasn't so bad because I did other things while it was rising/baking. :) Also made the house smell amazing. However, I do LOVE flatouts.
  • equestrian404
    Options
    I would go with Ezekiel! I eat it and I love it.
    However if you are concerned with the preservatives/sodium in packaged bread then go ahead and make your own. You can always do a combination anyways!
  • HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips everyone! I think I'll end up buying a loaf of the Ezekiel (I'd rather not have to bake a loaf of bread every few days, lol) and I'll look into Flat Outs and pita breads as well, for cost effectiveness/variety. Thanks again for the responses :drinker:
  • icrant
    icrant Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I see that the overall opinion is inclined toward Ezekiel bread! I agree! It is a good quality bread! Yet, if you have a breadmaker, I would suggest using it. You can experiment with the ingredients, and with little skill you can get incredible results. There are great bread recipes out there! One thing I like about using the breadmaker, is the smell of fresh bread! It creates such a homey feeling!!! Just a thought!
  • kmacgera
    kmacgera Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel is better nutrition than home made. That's because I don't know how to sprout grains and grind them. I use the loaf very efficiently though, taking a slice at a time from the freezer.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    There is nothing more amazing than the smell of fresh baked bread in your house. Except maybe for eating said bread.
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    You might have to bake bread every 5 days, but the baking isn't the hard part. A bread recipe usually yields two loaves, one of which you could freeze before baking and thaw and bake when the first loaf runs out. Just saying. I vote for making your own because I love baking and also I think homemade trumps good macros, but that's just me! You could also look into different recipes.
    http://www.urbansimplicity.com/2009/04/ezekiel-bread.html
    I just got this from a quick search, haven't actually made it, but if the recipe that you're looking into doesn't actually have all of the grains, etc. listed in the Ezekiel passage than this one might end up having more satisfactory macros. And if you have trouble finding all of the dry ingredients you could probably order them online.
  • kmacgera
    kmacgera Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    @Cbroad10, thanks for the link. It does look great. I was looking to sprout the grains though. Think that's an important step.