Recipes that use plain Greek yogurt?

Options
bren216
bren216 Posts: 16
Sure, I like putting fruit in it or spooning it over a baked potato -- but how else do you use the huge container of Greek yogurt from Costco?

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Gonna watch this board for replies because I just bought a large jug of it and found out I hate it! I'm hoping there are sneaky ways to use it and I won't be able to taste it (as much).
  • amberlitaaa
    Options
    Pancakes! 6 ounces of greek yogurt, 1 egg white, 1 tsp baking soda , 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour! Add your favorite flavors and fruits accordingly, and cook like normal pancakes. :drinker:

edit: I also mix sugar-free jello in mine for breakfast to switch up the flavors, or I'll add 1 1/2 tsp. of a seasoning packet (ranch, chili, taco, salsa, etc) to make a veggie dip! Also works well with adding laughing cow cream cheese spread and a little powder sugar for fruit dip!
  • chikkenlikken
    chikkenlikken Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like to mix a packet of instant oatmeal with some greek yogurt. It's not cooked, just raw. I really like it! But that's just me! :)
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I use Greek yogurt for everything! I put it in smoothies, or anything that I would normally use mayo - like tuna or chicken salad. I even put it on sandwiches. Just experiment.
  • 1LRoy
    1LRoy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Smoothies. I add a 1/2 cup of it to my smoothies after my workout (1 scoop of whey powder, a little water, 1/2 c. frozen fruit, 1/2 c. greek yogurt, a little ice).

I don't like yogurt just in general, but I have no problems having it in a smoothie.
  • josyjozy
    josyjozy Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Lately I've had 1 cup quick oats, 1/2 cup plain fat free greek yogurt, a dash of cinnamon, and 1/2 cup applesauce. Put it in the fridge overnight and eat it the next morning. There are a billion combinations of this, but this one I've eaten the last few days. I eat blueberry or strawberry on the bottom greek yogurts for snacks and plain greek yogurt in smoothies.
  • pk6868
    pk6868 Posts: 16
    Options
    I use it as a substitute for anything that calls for sour cream or mayo. I also use it in banana bread. I add fat free cream cheese to it to make fruit dip. Add dry ranch dressing mix to make a veggie dip. I also do not like it plain but love it when used in the above recipes. I added it to recipes without telling my family and they had no clue. It is a great healthy alternative. Experiment and enjoy.
  • Lizmcg83
    Lizmcg83 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of uses for it!! Like people have said replace mayo or sour cream with it. I use it in smoothies and as a salad dressing. For the dressing: 1/4 cup Greek yoghurt, 2 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp Dijon mustard, 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, 1 clove garlic crushed, dash tabasco sauce and whisk all together. Really yum with a salad of: baby cos lettuce, weight watchers rindless bacon ( little bit) Parmesan cheese, grilled chicken. Or sometimes I leave out the chicken and have it with a poached egg.
  • sickandtiredof
    sickandtiredof Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My favorite breakfast...1 cup no fat Greek yogurt, 2 packets equal or any other artificial sweetener, 1/2 cup canned pineapple chunks packed in water, 14 walnut halves. Mix all ingredients in bowl and enjoy!
  • saraast
    saraast Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Made deviled eggs the other day, forgot to buy mayo so used greek yogurt instead...tasted even BETTER than before! I also use it in place of sour cream or plain yogurt when I bake.
  • dgjewels49
    dgjewels49 Posts: 43
    Options
    I make desserts for my husband who had never eaten yougurt in his life.
    Banana Pudding
    crush a couple of vaqnilla wafers
    mix 1/2 container yogurt with one package SF banana pudding
    slice one banan on top of pudding mixture
    drop spoonfulls of cool whip on top of pudding
    add a few more crumbs.

Pina Colada Dessert
    1/2 container greek plain yogurt
    1/2 container yogurt
    1 box SF cheesecake pudding
    1cup crushed pineapple drained
    rum extract-drop or two
    2 tbl. coconut flakes
    Mix all together and enjoy!

You can buikd from this and use mandarin oranges,yogurt,sf orange jello and cool whip. it is an easy and fun dessert.
  • spearson288
    spearson288 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I really like:

1 cup of greek yogurt
    Cinnamon to taste
    vanilla extract
    unroasted almonds

Using it in smoothies

Broken glass - Mixing S/F Jell-o with greek yogurt

Vanilla Greek yogurt parfait:
    1/2 cup splenda
    1 tbsp vanilla
    1/4 cup blueberries
    1/2 cup strawberries
    1/4 low fat granola
    1 container greek yogurt

Cheesecake:
    Container of gree yogurt
    1/4 cup splenda
    1 pack of S/F Jell-o
    1/4 cup warm water
    ** Make Jell-o, add jell-o unset to yogurt, put in fridge to set crumble a gram cracker per slice on top**
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    I use plain greek yogurt as a mayo substitute in my chicken and tuna salad...DELISH!
  • CrystaLight74
    Options
    Great question... and great answers!!! Thanks for posting :)

Edited to add: I like to add 3 ounces Greek vanilla yogurt to a few Tbs. of light Cool Whip and mix it into a heap of fresh fruit. Makes a nice treat!!!
  • oldskoolgurl87
    oldskoolgurl87 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I take 1 big handful of blackberries, 1 big handful of blueberries, 1/4 cup of granola, a drizzle of honey, and 6-8 oz of greek yogurt and mix it all together very well (until berries are a little broken apart and smashed). This totally changes the taste of the yogurt and give you tons of protein and keeps you full until lunch.
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I use it in place of sour cream in a lot of recipes and as a topper (tacos, potatoes, soup, etc). Even the other half admits it tastes nearly the same as using sour cream. I don't do it for any nutritional reason; I use it because I always have it on hand.
  • WilBSkinee
    WilBSkinee Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Never tried it, but I have been seeing a ton of recipes on MFP! Can't wait to try some of these!! Thanks for asking
  • JVCB
    JVCB Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Gonna watch this board for replies because I just bought a large jug of it and found out I hate it! I'm hoping there are sneaky ways to use it and I won't be able to taste it (as much).

Do you hate it because it is unflavored and unsweetened?? If so, just mix 1 tablespoon of sugar-free jam into 1/2 cup of the 0% plain greek yogurt (I use Polaner SF Blackberry Jam with Fiber) , and add some Fiber One original Cereal (dry) on top for crunchy. The jam only adds 10 calories, and gives you that sweetness that you're used to from "regular" yogurt.
    After adding the jam for awhile, I'm finally starting to like the plain unsweetened yogurt, but I just couldn't do it plain at first.

I also use it to make deviled eggs (along with some grainy mustard and green onion) and they are great.

I've also used it before to make blueberry muffins (yogurt instead of eggs/oil) and they turned out great... but I don't make muffins any more because I can't eat just one.. :brokenheart:
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Cake, pancakes, quick breads.
  • Sandy3313
    Sandy3313 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Bump! sounds yummy!