Any other breastfeeding moms?

Options
Anyone else trying to lose weight while breastfeeding?

Replies

• mrgmama
    mrgmama Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just joined 10 seconds ago! I have an 8 week old who I'm EBF. This is going to be hard - I'm very sleep deprived (son wakes up just about every 2 hours at night) and I've eliminated most dairy from my diet, so I'm already feeling deprived on a number of levels. But just gotta get going with losing the rest of the baby weight and then some! I know that seeing the scale move downward will be extremely satisfying.

How's it going with you Stephanie? Did you add the standard 500 calories into your daily plan?
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    My weight came off by itself. I eat 1830 calories. Good luck!
  • danilee1020
    danilee1020 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm breastfeeding my 10 month old. He eats food, but gets most of his nutrition from me. We also co-sleep so he nurses a lot during the night. I put 400 calories in. I'm exercising and trying my best to choose healthy food, and I always keep my calories where MFP says to.
  • Rousehill
    Rousehill Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi im breastfeeding my 3 month old and trying to lose weight (unsucessfully I might add). Do you add 500 cal to the diet plan??
  • jillianlovesyarn
    jillianlovesyarn Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am. My son's 4 1/2 months old. I didn't really start losing until he was around 3 months old. That's about when I got my period back (boo!). I was already exercising and counting calories although I was not yet on MFP. I do think that's when my hormones regulated somewhat which may be what finally allowed me to lose more than water weight.
  • LSF2012
    LSF2012 Posts: 2
    Options
    I am exclusively breastfeeding my 5 month old, and have managed to lose all the baby weight (24 lbs) plus another 10. I add 500 calories to my calories and eat about 1800 a day. Also work out 3-5 times a week, treadmill and pilates. MFP has been a huge help in keeping me accountable for everything I eat, and I'm making better choices as a result.
  • jumpyjavajawa
    jumpyjavajawa Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm breastfeeding a 6 month old who's slowly starting solids. I'm still adding the 500 cals a day because she's still eating the same amount and probably will until she's on a more set solids schedule after she gets used to eating.
  • HakunaMatata519
    HakunaMatata519 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies ladies! Glad to see I'm not alone!

I added 400 calories to what I would normally eat to lose weight, which is 1200... so 1600. Most of the time I come under by a hundred calories or so, but I try my best. The weight is coming off really nicely and I thank BFing!!! I'm really motivated and not cheating with my food, but I've never lost weight this fast before JUST dietting so it must be the BFing. Can I pump for the rest of my life?! LOL
  • HakunaMatata519
    HakunaMatata519 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Oh! Also wanted to add that I've lost all the baby weight and am now 19 pounds under what I was when I got pregnant. I'm gonna keep on keepin on tho!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I'm BF my almost 10 month old. He eats a lot of other foods so I only log 300 cal for it, and not every day. The rest just goes to my deficit (which is only 250 daily otherwise so it's okay)

Some women lose easily while BF. Others won't lose much at all until weaning. It's their body's way of making sure there will be enough to feed baby. So don't be too hard on yourself if you aren't losing yet, and keep up those healthy habits. It will pay off in the long run.