too hot to cook?

Options
What do you have for dinner when it's too hot to turn on the stove for longer than absolutely necessary? It's a scorcher today and I don't want to add any unecessary heat to this house if I don't absolutely have to! Dinner ideas?

Replies

• happythermia
    happythermia Posts: 374
    Options
    Cereal and fruit! it's pretty much my standard summer dinner
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I grill outside on hot days. Either that or pop something in the crock pot. You can also use your steamer to cook chicken, veggies, or rice. I don't have air conditioning so when it's hot like this there is no way I'm cooking inside.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Salad, cold roast chicken from the supermarket, cold meats & cheese and salads, vegetables pita and dips...fruit. Or use the microwave to heat leftovers!
  • gibsy
    gibsy Posts: 112
    Options
    Thanks! These are all great ideas.
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I cook in the crockpot when it's super hot out. It doesn't heat up the kitchen. Tonight we're having Chicken Enchilada Soup in the crockpot.
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    I grilled chicken breasts outside on the barbeque, and then we had them on a tossed salad with naan on the side. Zero heat added indoors.

It is a scorcher out there today!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i grilled my steak and veg tonight
    crock pot!
  • Cordy1228
    Cordy1228 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I graze. Tonight I had a hard boiled egg, an english muffin, some carrots, and a Corona.

I hate to cook under the best of circumstances.
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Salads! That's what I do when it's too hot or put something in the crock pot. If you have left overs in the freezer, it's great to put them in the microwave.
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I just eat a salad its so muggy out right now spending anytime in the kitchen just sounds like a fail idea >.<
  • gibsy
    Options
    I just made a smoothie out of frozen banana, frozen berries, some almond milk and a scoop of protein powder to make up for having missed lunch in my confused heat stupor. Shoulda thought of this 4 hours ago!

Dinner is gonna be late tonight but we're thinking rotisserie chicken and salad is probably the winner this time.
  • gibsy
    Options
    I really should get a crock pot though eh? They seem so handy.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    -BLTs with avocado, fresh fruit on the side.

-Make individual pizzas using Indian naan bread (I use the frozen stuff from Trader Joe's) - everyone gets to have their own toppings, and you can heat them on the grill, they come out great!

-Rotisserie chicken from Costco or supermarket - eat it as roast chicken with brown rice & veggies the first night, use leftovers in pita bread or lavash rolls with some garlic sauce (yogurt, a little mayo, lemon juice, garlic) and dill or sweet pickles - pop them into a George Foreman grill or panini maker, or probably could use the grill for these too if you don't have the other two, but haven't tried it.

-Paninis!

-Meatball sandwiches - use frozen meatballs, jarred marinara sauce, top with a little mozzarella or provolone cheese.

-Hamburgers or turkey burgers on the grill - keep the frozen patties on hand - fast & easy, and no thawing required.

I make a lot of these on a regular basis, and they fit into my calorie goals (usually :tongue:).
  • gibsy
    Options
    Oh those are some nice ideas too!
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    yup, we rock the grill or crockpot during the summer, only use the stove stop to cook veggies that can't be grilled and the oven stays off!
  • knighthood77
    Options
    I've been trying to do the same as well. I've never thought about grilling. Great topic.