Alternatives to rice, pasta etc

Options
Hi there!

I have some good recipes for low cal curry and chilli etc.. things I would usually have with white rice.

Do you guys have suggestions of what I can have as an alternative? Is brown rice significantly better?

Replies

• Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Try substituting quinoa if your looking for something different. However rice is fine just stay under your daily calories if you want to lose.
  • TotalTiger
    TotalTiger Posts: 74
    Options
    quinoa
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Quinoa! I still make fried rice for myself occasionally but I now mix good ol' jasmine rice with cooked quinoa.

Black rice is really good, too.

You could also use low-carb pita bread as a substitute for naan and dunk it in the curry. :)
  • MikeG2
    MikeG2 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Use quinoa; you can substitute anywhere for rice. It also has complete protein and lots of other good things. Google it, and you'll see what I mean.
  • Samiwhereareyou
    Samiwhereareyou Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I found that if you make cauliflower and cook it like rice it taste similar to rice. I pour curry all over it and love it. also spaghetti squash is amazing for pasta sauces and zucchini sliced up make really good noodle replacement for lasagna. I also really like curry on okra and eggplant. have fun experimenting.
  • intheflowers
    intheflowers Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Quinoa or oven fries made with a little olive oil (white or sweet potato). Potatoes are actually a great source of potassium and vitamin c.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I just made some chili and used it over some shirataki noodles.
  • PrncessBre
    PrncessBre Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Zucchini, rice noodles
  • urbansmamma
    urbansmamma Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Barley, spelt and couscous are also good!!
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Don't forget about spaghetti squash makes a nice noodle!
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    This is probably not where you were going with it but I replace grains with greens. Romaine is a good "container" for most things. I use greens to replace bread and pastas.
  • GrammaBonnie
    GrammaBonnie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Quinoa, as frequently mentioned. I'd skip the over processed rices (quick, white), and go with the brown or wild rices. I make my quinoa and my brown rice in batches. Both work very well as left-overs.

I keep a box of couscous on hand for those days when I really need something, but forgot to plan ahead. Couscous takes about 5 minutes to cook. Brown rice is about 35 minutes. Just keep in mind that couscous is much more processed, so it should be saved for "emergencies."
  • tishad58
    tishad58 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    IMO, brown rice is significantly better than white- more nutrients rather than empty carbs. I also like "wild rice"- which is actually a grass- very good nutrients and also very tasty. Quinoa is also a really good choice.

Some people use grated or shredded cauliflower instead of rice- the forum search feature can help you find that info. :)

I use zucchini or eggplant, sliced thin and steamed enough to be flexible, in place of lasagna noodles. Ironically, I actually like those better than noodles now. I have also used tofu shirataki spaghetti replacements, plain shirataki (miracle noodles), spaghetti squash, and have used a special spiral cutter to make "spaghetti" out of daikon and other veggies. Sometimes I lightly steam "broccoli slaw".

I use any of these things with chili, stir fries, etc.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I buy Koshihikari sprouted brown rice with GABA. Its brown rice but it taste more like white rice and has a lot of nutritional benefits.

t5r6s3.jpg
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I now prefer brown rice to white rice. Has sort of a nutty flavor.
  • Domi_BTGfit
    Domi_BTGfit Posts: 149
    Options
    I would definitely say brown rice, or even a "notato" which is mashed cauliflower with no fat cottage or ricotta cheese. It's not the same thing, but you get used to it and start to enjoy it after awhile.
  • loufranks
    loufranks Posts: 45
    Options
    Brown rice or brown pasts is nice with chilli - I much prefer brown pasta actually! The brown rice tastes quite different and is kind of chewy and take a LOT longer to cook, but it has a nicer texture in my opinion and definitely keeps you fuller for longer. Try it :)
  • Xenastrah
    Xenastrah Posts: 36
    Options
    Bulgar Wheat is a great substitute for rice! :o)