Do proper amounts of sleep really help wt. loss?

Options
I have read this several places in the past and have to wonder if that is why my weight loss is a bit slow. I generally only sleep 5-5.5 hours a night and routinely it is difficult to get going in the morning. I often feel sleepy about mid morning. I know I should sleep more but I wonder if it is really affecting my wt. loss efforts. Anyone ever tested the theory that more/better sleep promotes wt. loss?

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's absolutely true. When you don't get enough sleep, your body will encourage you to eat more and will also increase fat storage. I'm sure someone can explain the exact hormonal processes, but yes, it's absolutely true. Remember, sleep is not a luxury or a bonus but something you medically need.

I'm not sure if someone will rip this article apart, but from what I read, it seemed very similar to everything else I've ever read on this subject.

http://www.naturalnews.com/031101_sleep_hormones.html
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    it's true. :)
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I can only speak from personal experience but I know that I seemed to drop more weight when I was better rested. I also notice performance gains fitness wise when I take naps and get adequate rest.
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    It's true.
  • bohemianprincess65
    Options
    I have heard if a person works midnight shifts, or any night shift its harder to lose weight.or control the weight you have now. I guess it stands to reason if you go to far with out sleep it would mess up your body. Some people only need 5 hours asleep though,if thats all you ever slept a night I wouldn't worry. I would keep a pattern of it and ask a medical professional.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    You can't eat whilst you are sleeping.....( unless you are a sleep walker ) ......just sayin
  • rbl1225
    rbl1225 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    You can't eat whilst you are sleeping.....( unless you are a sleep walker ) ......just sayin

haha i actually got caught doing this during my finals we found out why the fridge was open one morning :P I now sleep on the other side of the bed so my boy wakes up if I get up :)
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Yes and there is some science as to why. Some of the hormones involved in weight loss are only released when you get good quality and deep sleep(usually requiring 8 hours).
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    When I was working one fulltime job, and another almost fulltime job....I had to get by on 4 hrs sleep.

I kept working out. I tried to watch my eating and I started to gain weight. I am guessing it probably messes with hormones. Now that I cut my hours down...weight much easier to control.
  • Eifersucht
    Eifersucht Posts: 34
    Options
    From personal experience, I would say "yes". I find that my weight loss and fitness efforts are more successful when I get at least 8 hours of sleep per night. I can absolutely tell a difference in my energy level the next day if I only get between 7 and 8 hours of sleep and there is a huge drop in my energy level if I get less than 7 hours of sleep. Naturally, everyone's sleep requirements are a little different. I just know that's what works for me. Eight hours of sleep and I'm ready to rock my morning workout. =)
  • mhoward685
    mhoward685 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I know it is true for me. If I am tired I use food for energy to get through my day. Also, I don't exercise as well if at all when tired. Exercise helps relieve stress and I am a stress/emotional eater so the weight pours on.
  • spinqueen72
    spinqueen72 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    So then how come if I get 5-6 hours of sleep..I can go ALL DAY?
    But if I sleep 8 or any more...I feel like a zombie? I'm tired all day, and lethargic?
    Someone care to explain THAT?
  • mskari77
    mskari77 Posts: 142
    Options
    But if I sleep 8 or any more...I feel like a zombie? I'm tired all day, and lethargic?

My husband and I were just discussing this after I read the op. I am one who can sleep 5 or 6 hours and be completely rested. 8 hours has me drained!!!
  • mskari77
    mskari77 Posts: 142
    Options
    I know it is true for me. If I am tired I use food for energy to get through my day. Also, I don't exercise as well if at all when tired. Exercise helps relieve stress and I am a stress/emotional eater so the weight pours on.

See, now I am the opposite. If i didn't sleep well, and am having a hard time waking up, then I go do some cardio, and that wakes me up right away.
  • KuroNyankoSensei
    KuroNyankoSensei Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I suffer from insomnia, but I've had no trouble losing weight ~
  • TeddyBear47
    TeddyBear47 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I haven't slept more then 4 hours a night since the weight loss program started. Still losing.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    They do....the quality is more important than the quantity though. when sleeping you're going through 90 minute periods and to get full rest and restoration you need to go through at least 2 of the 3 sleep phases without interruption. Get your rest if possible. :)
  • nammer79
    nammer79 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I have issues with sleep and still losing but everybody is different ... with that said my goals might get reached faster if I did sleep more =(

God what I wouldn't do for a solid 4 to 5 hours of sleep
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I've always known this was true...but maybe it's even more true than I realized.

I've been functioning on 3-4hrs sleep a night, for months now. Sometimes I get more, and weekends I usually get 6-9hrs or so...but on weeknights, the 3-4hrs is it.

I am totally stalled per the scale and measurements right now (even the mirror, to be honest), and have been for pushing 2mos it looks like. Diet is on, lift heavy 3x a week with performance gains every week as well.

Just no weight, or more importantly fat loss.

Hmm...
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Sleep cycles last on average 1.5 to 2 hours. A sleep cycle starts at light sleep, goes down to deep sleep, and back up to light sleep. The cycle repeats as long as you are sleeping. Waking up during light sleep is normal, and you feel rested. If you get woken up while in the deep part of the cycle, you feel lethargic and drowsy until your body can recover.

Lack of sleep leads to elevated cortisol, which resists weight loss.