Low vitamin D linked to stalled weight loss?

Options
I've been stuck for months now. My latest vitamin D level still shows low at 25. My nutritionist said it has to be over 30 to be normal and ideally over 50 for weight loss. Is this true? Could be explaining a lot.

Replies

• DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier - I just found out that I'm at 13.0 on Vitamin D... I'm going to pick up my industrial strength supplements (dr. prescribed). I hope I can get my levels up to 50 - we'll see. He also told me the low end of normal is 30.

Stay tuned!
  • candice382
    candice382 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it will keep you from losing weight but it will deffinitly keep you from feeling like you have energy. What does your doctor recommend?
  • LuvDMB
    LuvDMB Posts: 26
    Options
    My naturopath explained that it regulated hormone production that regulates metabolism as well as a bunch of other stuff. I've been on extremely an high dose of Vit D drops for a few months now and have noticed a difference in energy as well as lessened hunger and weight loss. Just be careful about what you spend your money on...not all supplements are created equal.
  • Rocking_Robin
    Rocking_Robin Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I also didnt know that it could effect weight loss, I knew that is helps a bit with depression. I do take 1800itu's a day but now I will get my doctors opinion and get the blood test to find out my level

Good Luck!
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Mine is 7 ng/mL, severely deficient. I haven't found it to be significant barrier to weight loss, but I think it contributes to my feeling fatigued at times.

I took 100,000 U for 4 weeks and stayed in the sun for 30 minutes 6 days a week... unfortunately, I didn't see a bump in my Vit D levels. Forcing myself to a sleep schedule and exercising has helped my fatigue, but not my levels.

Best of luck to you.
  • RonneyKay
    RonneyKay Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I take 4k units of VitaminD daily. Drs orders. It has totally helped with my energy and fatigue. Living in Phoenix AZ I cna't believe I had a Vitamin D deficiancy. However, once my Vitamin D kind of stabalized (it was at like a 16)... I was less tired, and moody, so therefor I ate less because my mood and fatigue stablized... So there could be something to that. Also, research low carb diets. My doc put me on that as well, Everything has fallen into place. Just discuss it with your doc and see what s/he has to say about it.

Good luck, PM me if you want. I need to take 4,000 units of Vitamin D to keep my D at the low end of normal (like a 32) ... and i live in Phoenix, az! so it CAN happen.
  • lovinmamaxo
    lovinmamaxo Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I am on 50,000 IU my doctor prescribed them. My nutritionist has me doing a max 1700 calorie diet, no more than 150g of carbs and lower sugar. I'm hoping this helps... i also take over the counter multi vitamins that have 2,000 IU of Vit D and other stuff.

She told me that my vitamin D could be part of the cause of no weight loss and the fatigue i've been having.
  • Lynn_SD
    Lynn_SD Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic. My vit D level has been 14, took rx vit D 50,000 u twice per week for 3 months, but level hadn't budged a bit! So still taking same dose, hope next blood tests will be better.

I'm very fair and avoid sun exposure as much as possible. My mother has had eight skin cancers removed from her face, luckily most have been first stages basal or squamous cell... I have been doing some swimming laps in an outdoor pool, so am getting a little more sun than usual. But Earth's protective ozone layer won't return to 1970's levels until 2050!