Too Soon for Strength Training???

Options
Hello, everyone.

In the past, I've never worried about strength training, but I want to do it right this time. I know there are at least two schools of thought on this, but I'd like to hear from you guys.

1. With at least 60 pounds to lose, should I start strength training now or wait until I shed some of the fat/weight?

2. If I should be, what should I start out doing?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• giftieetcetera
    giftieetcetera Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Start right away. Still do your cardio, but add some light weights. (You can you tube routines.) Do crutches and sit-ups and planks and lunges and squats. You'll be stronger and less likely to get hurt! It may or may not jump start weight loss, but you will look better and firmer way faster.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Don't start now, start RIGHT NOW. Right now is the time. And no light weight. Go heavy as you safely can. Trust me, not only will it aid your weight loss goals it will do amazing things to your body's looks. Take some "befores " and get to work!
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    sooner the better, weight loss may slow a little but the results will be 100 times better
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Don't start now, start RIGHT NOW. Right now is the time.

I agree with this part, but not as heavy as you can right away... make sure you learn proper technique above all else - and right from the beginning! You may not notice poor form early on, but when you start lifting heavy weights it will really show up and could lead to injury.

If you have access to a gym getting a trainer to help you is the best option, also look at Ripptoe's youtube videos on form for various exercises. Even record yourself performing the exercises and compare them to what you should be doing.

What specific exercises you should be doing will depend somewhat on your level of strength and the resources available to you. You could start with bodyweight exercises and there are a number of routines out there. I would recommend getting your hands on either 'Starting Strength' or "New Rules of Lifting for Women' (NROLFW). Both great entry level books that will give you a solid place to start.

Just remember it is never too early to start resistance training - EVERYONE should be doing it. :flowerforyou:

Good luck!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Yesterday.
  • undeniablebutterfly
    Options
    You guys are awesome! LOVE that you're all basically telling me the same thing. I will check out the resources given and get to work! THANK YOU!!