Should I stop exercising (for the moment)?

Options
Hi,

I posted a thread a few days ago about not eating enough calories to lose weight. I learned that I was eating way below what I should be even to survive (how am I not dead?!) and definitely not enough to lose the little bit of weight I want to lose and tone up. Well, I've been trying over the past few days to increase my caloric intake, though I've apparently slowed my metabolism down so much I live on air (or at least it feels like it). I finally managed to surpass my BMR (1440) by 80 calories, but that was before my daily exercise. My workouts (a mix of cardo and strength training) usually burn 300-400 calories, meaning my net would be just barely 1200 which is what I was told I shouldn't go below. And since I am also active other times in the day that don't get always get logged or thought of--like work, where I run around for hours--it's probably 100 or 200 calories below it.

So, should I stop exercising until I have my calories under control, or keep exercising and wait for my metabolism to catch up? Doesn't exercise increase your metabolism? I use the exercise for stress relief and to help me sleep, so I'd rather not stop. But I also don't want to lose muscle mass or make myself unhealthy.

Replies

• yulia_star
    yulia_star Posts: 28
    Options
    Exercise does increase your metabolism. I would keep at it, at least strength training because building muscle increases your metabolism even when you're resting.
  • Southpaw3612
    Options
    Definitely continue with working out. You shouldn't have to worry much about the calories burned during work as you inputted that as your activity level in your settings. If you think you are burning more, you might want to go up on your activity level setting which would add more calories to be consumed.
  • Jackie_Paper
    Jackie_Paper Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I'd keep doing it, but on days you exercise, just eat a little more. Or drink fruit smoothies / eat more vegetables so that it won't feel like the extra calories are undermining your work out efforts.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    If you're using exercise as a stress relief, try adding some more calorie dense foods to your diet (nuts, peanut butter, olive oil on salads) that are still nutrient dense, not junk. You will be able to increase your calories without stuffing yourself and still be able to exercise.
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    If you're using exercise as a stress relief, try adding some more calorie dense foods to your diet (nuts, peanut butter, olive oil on salads) that are still nutrient dense, not junk. You will be able to increase your calories without stuffing yourself and still be able to exercise.

this!
  • Bssh
    Bssh Posts: 123
    Options
    When you increased your calories did you determine the maximum calorie intake using a TDEE calculator? If you did then the calculator would have accounted for your exercise level.

You should definitely be eating much more than BMR daily. My BMR is 1600 and my daily calories are 2000 which includes moderate exercise daily and 15% deficit.
  • Monny287
    Monny287 Posts: 109
    Options
    When you increased your calories did you determine the maximum calorie intake using a TDEE calculator? If you did then the calculator would have accounted for your exercise level.

You should definitely be eating much more than BMR daily. My BMR is 1600 and my daily calories are 2000 which includes moderate exercise daily and 15% deficit.

I used a TDEE calculator and it said my TDEE is 2188. What does this mean in terms of weight loss/muscle gain, exercise, etc.? I don't really have any idea what I'm doing, if you can't tell. :P
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. I'm not quitting working out though. No way!! I can definitely feel that I'm getting stronger.
  • Monny287
    Monny287 Posts: 109
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. I'm not quitting working out though. No way!! I can definitely feel that I'm getting stronger.

Me too! I've really noticed it in my legs and abs. I just don't want to continue down a path that will inhibit the toning and (slight) weight loss or harm my body in any way.