2200 calories ... does that sound right?

Options
Darmanin
Darmanin Posts: 75 Member
afternoon all,

when I went through and set up my profile it has just automatically picked 2200 calaroies a day for me. Is that right, or do you need to select it yourself?
Will the app lower the calories per day as I loose weight or should i do that myself?

I have around 70 kilos ... or 154 poinds (apparaently) to loose.

What should the calaorie limit be per day?

Replies

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    depends on your activity level but with that much weight to lose you'd definitely make progress eating 2200 calories.
  • nene01pop
    nene01pop Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    how tall are you, and how much exercise did you put in and how active... I would say no... but it sets it by the info you put in.
  • Darmanin
    Options
    177cm or around 5'10"

Prior to last week the only exercise I got was running around after my kids.

Last week and this week I have been walking for 35 mins 4 days a week.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Definitely going to lose--what's your total weight?
  • Darmanin
    Options
    arrgghhhh ... hard to say this out loud.
    142 kilo ... or 313 pounds. :-( :-( :-(
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    2200 sounds like it would be a good start, but you'll have to see how it work out for you since those numbers are based on equations and averages which is very rarely 100% accurate to the individual.
  • jenniferillene
    jenniferillene Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    That sounds about right actually, my starting weight was 290 and my calorie intake was set at 1950 and Im 5"7, Ur calorie intake will go down as u lose 10 pounds..Ive lost 58lbs and are now down to 1700 daily. :)
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Sounds a bit high to me...if you want to lose 2 lbs per week, I'd think it should be at about 1600-1700, You may want to double check if you selected to lose 1 lb per week, 2 lbs. etc.

Good luck!

And don't worry about saying how much you weigh....the reason we are all here is to get healthy. Weight loss is a part of that healthy quest!
  • ronnio_ron
    ronnio_ron Posts: 61
    Options
    with that much you will definitely see difference every week, but you may want to take it slow.
    how much was the deficit per week, given by MFP....

also depends if you are keen to micro manage your daily intakes, because then you can surely log in and change the goals personally...as per your liking...

for example - I am on a protein high and carb low and medium fat because of the routines i follow and weight i lift....but your choice may be totally different on the way you want to approach your weight loss pattern....

pls try and read up on some awesome posting around this site....it might really help with this...
  • nickyrobinson
    nickyrobinson Posts: 161 Member
    Options

Will the app lower the calories per day as I loose weight or should i do that myself?

Every 10 pounds, go through the Goals again to lower your calories per day. It is supposed to remind you to do that, but I've never seen it.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Hey, it might be hard to say outloud now, but sooo many of us have been there. There are some that have been far heavier than you and are now fit & healthy.

That number seems reasonable (I'm a 6' tall male) and that is about the number I get if I put sedentary as my activity level. Given your current weight you will lose fat at that number. Just make sure to eat back the calories you 'earn' through exercise so your not eating too low.

Just make some sort of exercise a part of your daily routine, incorporate some sort of weight training if you are able, and get ready for success!

You will undoubtedly have a lot of questions if you are just starting out, so feel free to hit me up anytime or send me a friend request if you like. There is a whole community of (mostly) awesome people here who will be happy to help.

Welcome aboard!
  • Darmanin
    Options
    ronnio_ron - I'm not sure that you mean by the deficit per week? does that mean weight loss per week?

I had selected what was 1 pound per week ... not realising at the time it wasn't 1 kilo per week. Will have to look at how to change it.

Thank you for all your replies, I'm still trying to work this thing out but looks good to try and keep me on track. I have like a lot of you I suspect, tried and failed countless times over the past bout 16 years of my life ... but now with 2 kids and a wardrobe that is now at the max size you can buy without getting clothes specially made I really need to do something about it.
  • Rayman79
    Options
    The deficit is in the number of calories (not weight loss). It is generally accepted that you will have to have a caloric deficit of around 3500 to lose one pound of fat (so that's just under 7000 cals for every kg). What MFP has done is calculate the average number of calories you need to consume in a week (based on your gender, age, height and weight) then subtracted 3500 calories from your weekly total.

You may want to start at this level so you are not giving your body too much of a shock, then lowering down from there if/when you feel comfortable in doing so.

As for the trying and failing thing - we have definitely all been there. I have found MFP such a great tool though - not prescriptive about what I can or cant eat, no set meal plans etc. I have been on here for around 10 months now and am the lightest and strongest I have ever been in my adult life. Like anything, YOU will do the work, this is just a tool to help you along the way - but it is definitely worth the time you invest in it!
  • cyberskirt
    cyberskirt Posts: 218
    Options
    I think you picked your activity level too high.

I'm 350 pounds, 5'7 and set it to the lowest activity level possible.. as in little to none.

I chose my goal as 2 lbs per week... I'm at 1920 now.

If all you do is 'run after your kids' then set your activity level to the lowest setting possible.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Sounds a bit high to me...if you want to lose 2 lbs per week, I'd think it should be at about 1600-1700, You may want to double check if you selected to lose 1 lb per week, 2 lbs. etc.

sorry but this s terrible advice . i'm way shorter than the OP, under 200 pounds and older than her yet i eat over 1700 calories and still lose.

people really need to not focus on dropping their calories too low in a rush to lose weight.remember this is something that you're going to have to stick with for 6.12,18 month AND fpr the rest of your life
  • Rayman79
    Options

I'm 350 pounds, 5'7 and set it to the lowest activity level possible.. as in little to none.

If all you do is 'run after your kids' then set your activity level to the lowest setting possible.

Also not great advice. Anyone who runs around after small children knows thats no easy task and it keeps you on your feet whether you like it or not! You also have a 2lb deficit factored in which will be 500 cals lower each day than the OP.

Sorry for taking up so much room on you post here OP, but I know how critical to success it is to get decent information up front and not listen to people who feed you misleading information. :flowerforyou:
  • KatdenRN
    KatdenRN Posts: 52
    Options

sorry but this s terrible advice . i'm way shorter than the OP, under 200 pounds and older than her yet i eat over 1700 calories and still lose.

people really need to not focus on dropping their calories too low in a rush to lose weight.remember this is something that you're going to have to stick with for 6.12,18 month AND fpr the rest of your life
  • Darmanin
    Options
    Thank you for your replies :-)

Lets hope this works :-)
  • ronnio_ron
    ronnio_ron Posts: 61
    Options
    You shud be able to find that or change it in your Goals tab.
    Also suggest you ti try and bit of reading in the forums....just type key pointer like "calorie management", deficit,

pls make sure you log everything you eat...and take it slow for the first 2 weeks....give yourself some time to acclimatize to the new process and read as much as possible...

Try to for 1.5lb / wk deficit if you can at first and then slowly raise the bar...

best of lucks....
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Also not great advice. Anyone who runs around after small children knows thats no easy task and it keeps you on your feet whether you like it or not! You also have a 2lb deficit factored in which will be 500 cals lower each day than the OP.

Sorry for taking up so much room on you post here OP, but I know how critical to success it is to get decent information up front and not listen to people who feed you misleading information. :flowerforyou:

Totally agree with this. I have a desk job and very little extra activity outside my workouts (which would not be counted in the base calorie goal) and my actual activity ends up to be a lot higher than sedentary (based on my BMF which is a device that tracks my actual activity) . WIth small kids, I am sure you are at least lightly active.