pinapple?!

Options
When I tried to log the pinapple I ate this morning for breakfast, I am not sure if I am just logging it wrong or if I just shouldn't be eating it. I got pinapple from our hospital cafeteria and they weigh it when you pay for it and i got 15 oz of pinapple. When I plug that into my food diary it says that it is 210 calories!!! But yet my 15oz of cantalope was only 35 calories. What in the heck am I doing wrong?

Replies

• LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Sounds right to me. 15 oz is a whole lot of fruit! You're eating almost a pound of fruit as one serving? Or am I missing something? Also, when I log 15 oz of cantaloupe, I get 145 calories.

Edit: cantaloupe calories (before I had estimated how many grams 15 ounces is)
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    Pineapple is 14 calories per ounce. So, 210 calories is correct for 15 ounces of pineapple. That is kind of a lot of fruit... :ohwell:

You can always check caloric info @ www.nutritiondata.com when in doubt
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Pinnaple is also has one of the highest concentrations of sugar when compared to other fruit.
  • MattySparky
    Options
    sorry theres no way that almost a lb of cantaloupe is 35 calories, where did you get that from? that's crazy! and that is alot of fruit to be eating at once, but to each his own.
  • MattySparky
    Options
    and regardless whats wrong with 200 cals for breakfast, that's almost nothing!
  • AshleyTaylor2017
    AshleyTaylor2017 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I got the 35 calories of cantalope from this site. It was listed as fresh cantalope I think. So it must be wrong then. I picked out 4 or 5 chunks of pinapple from the cafeteria along with 4 or 5 chunks of cantalope, though I didn't finish all the cantalope it really didn't look like a large portion of food. When that was all I was eating for breakfast. Well I guess I will quit eating so much pinapple.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    4 or 5 pieces doesn't sound like almost a pound of pineapple...do you think you ate that much?
  • karleen
    karleen Posts: 260
    Options
    maybe the scale was wrong.. because 4 or 5 chunks of pinapple is def not 15 ounces!
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    was that the weight of your fruit including the bowl it was in?
  • AshleyTaylor2017
    AshleyTaylor2017 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    they are big chunks of pinapple, but I didn't think it was almost a pound of pinapple. I don't know. I logged it as being 210 calories, and I guess if I didn't eat that much then I didn't but I don't want to underestimate and mess up my calories for the day. I still can't get my cantalope entry to match up...oh well. I will just be careful the rest of the day. Who would have though fruit would have so many calories?!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    yep, 15 oz of cantaloupe is not 35 calories

here's the nutrition from Calorieking.com for 15 oz of cantaloupe

Nutrition Facts
    Calories 145 (604 kJ)
    % Daily Value 1
    Total Fat 0.9g 1%
    Sat. Fat 0.2g 1%
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 68mg 3%
    Total Carbs. 37.4g 12%
    Dietary Fiber 3.8g 15%
    Sugars 33.4g
    Protein 3.6g
    Calcium 38.3mg
    Potassium 1135.4mg
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    they are big chunks of pinapple, but I didn't think it was almost a pound of pinapple. I don't know. I logged it as being 210 calories, and I guess if I didn't eat that much then I didn't but I don't want to underestimate and mess up my calories for the day. I still can't get my cantalope entry to match up...oh well. I will just be careful the rest of the day. Who would have though fruit would have so many calories?!

Fruit has so many calories because of the sugar content. But really, it doesn't have that many calories when you keep your portions under control. I normally eat about 4 ounces of fruit as a serving.

15 ounces of fruit is about 4 servings, not 1 serving. Maybe your cafeteria is ripping you off? Maybe it was 1.5 ounces? Maybe it was 150 grams? If I ate 15 ounces of fresh pineapple, I think my tongue would be burned off from all the acid. I don't know if I could eat 2 pounds of anything. My guess is that your servings were nowhere close to 15 ounces each. I'm betting they were 150 GRAMS each. Go look at the scale again to double check. If you paid for 30 ounces of fruit (between the cantaloupe & pineapple), you were ripped off *big time.*

Also, to get your cantaloupe entry to match, try spelling it "CANTALOUPE" and using the 1st one that pops up. 15 ounces is about 425 grams, so add it as 4.25 servings of 100g. That should give you the correct entry.
  • WombatC
    Options
    pineapple does have a lot of fiber. My school nurse told me any P fruit (fruit starting with the letter P) has a lot of fiber and is good for you.
  • guidosgal
    guidosgal Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Hey check this out to see all the health benifits of pinapple ( some of them are suprising) but to me that does not seem like a over adundance og colories for breakfast. Also the scale might be wrong too. (remember the more the food weighs for them the more they can charge)

www.knowledgebase-script.com