How to Calculate Calories in a Marinade...FINALLY!!!

Options
I always wondered this and found this quote on another sites message boards. Thought I would pass it along =)

"A nutritionist friend of mine advised me years ago that for a paste type marinade (eg pesto) assume 1 tbsp of the marinade sticks to each 85 grams (3 oz) meat.

For a oil based liquid marinade, assume 0.5 tbsp of the marinade sticks to each 85 grams (3 oz) meat.

For a non-oil liquid based marinade (eg juices or wine etc) assume 1/3 tbsp sticks to each 85 grams (3 oz) of meat.

I hope this helps."

From: http://caloriecount.about.com/forums/calorie-count/calorie-counting-marinades

Replies

• ncwall
    ncwall Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU
  • Picklepower
    Picklepower Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You sir are welcome =)
  • droogievesch
    droogievesch Posts: 202
    Options
    You must have read my mind because I was thinking about this just an hour or two ago!
  • kabbit42
    kabbit42 Posts: 85
    Options
    I was just thinking about asking this. Would the length of time affect this at all?
  • denise4230
    denise4230 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    *bump
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    bump
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    Good info. Thanks!
  • Princess_Sameen
    Princess_Sameen Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    bumpy! thanks
  • jdforshort
    jdforshort Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot! I always divided the total marinade into the number of servings, what ever it's made from!
  • LFiestan
    LFiestan Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    bump. thanks for sharing, i always marinade my fish and poultry
  • eilmeister
    eilmeister Posts: 37
    Options
    Finally! Thanks! I've always wondered about this as well. Looks like I haven't been too far off with my estimates.
  • ems1583
    ems1583 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    bump! Thanks for sharing
  • jesss5885
    jesss5885 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    brilliant!
    thanks for sharing!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Idle curiousity here, but couldn't you figure out the total number of calories in the marinade and then weigh it? Then when you're done, weigh whats left?
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Idle curiousity here, but couldn't you figure out the total number of calories in the marinade and then weigh it? Then when you're done, weigh whats left?

that's what I would do
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

^ That's what I do as well.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I always measure the marinade first, then once I remove the items to be cooked I measure again and figure out the difference. That way I know the exact amount.

❤melissa
  • AshlynG923
    AshlynG923 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    bumpp
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • AmandaDawnRN
    AmandaDawnRN Posts: 29 Member
    Options