weight machines vs free weights

Options
New here, started my journey only 5 wks ago. I've been doing strength just with my girlie 5 and 8lb dumb bells at home. I am really interested in lifting more. I've been trying the weight machines at the gym a couple times a week but my question is:
Is there a difference in result if you use machines as opposed to free weights?? Will I not get the same workout?? Any input would be helpful and appreciated!!! Thanks!

Replies

• LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Definitely free weights are far more effective than weight machines. The problem with those equipments is that they promote unnatural movement unlike in free weights plus they only work one specific body part unlike in free weights where you can do compound movements that work two or more muscles in one workout (e.g. squats, lunges, bench press, deadlifts, military presses etc.). Gym equipments work best for bodybuilders who do isolation exercises to carve out every muscle fibers they have.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Free weights all the way. Get someone to show you how to use them, then go read something like Starting Strength, New rules of lifting for women, or google Stronglifts 5x5. All good lifting starters :)
  • BeanQueen3000
    Options
    The consensus seems to be that free weights are always better, but i tend to rely on the machines as they're a bit easier on my hands and wrists. Carpal Tunnel is no fun at all.
  • swheeler04
    Options
    I agree, free weights is more effective...
  • XmanMike
    XmanMike Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Free weights give you a greater range of motion than machines because machines lock you into one track of lifting and only works the specific muscle being worked. With free weights, your range of motion increases and secondary muscles can be engaged when you use dumbbells and barbells. You'll get a better overall workout. Hope this helps. It doesn't mean you shouldn't use machines though. They can be good if you're just starting out and you wanna feel how an exercise works a particular muscle or even if you're trying to push heavy weight and you work out alone. Most times you can ask someone for a spot and he or she will help you.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The only advantage I can think of that the machines offer is that you don't need a spotter (which can also be a drawback as an experienced spotter may also be able to help you correct your form).

I have a "multi-gym" machine in my garage that I use but were I to replace it tomorrow it would be free weights and a decent bench.
  • tlucas69
    tlucas69 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your responses! I get it now!!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    weight machines are always isolation exercises that don't incorporate the other muscle groups that would normally be involved with the lift. the end result is that the strength gains you get from working out with machines don't translate to any application other than working that machine since your stabilizers arent getting involved.

its generally advised to leave the machines to people who are working out for rehab reasons and stick to free weights. you get a more complete workout this way, plus it opens room for compound movements that translate to more calorie burn and greater strength gains.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Both. All have their place.