People think I'm pregnant but I just got fat

Options
BethKL
BethKL Posts: 7 Member
I keep being offered a seat on the Tube, they either think I'm old or pregnant, ah who am I kidding? I know it's pregnant. I've been tall and skinny all of my life (too skinny in fact) but over the last few years and for no apparent reason I've grown an enormous belly. I look pregnant, actually I'm heavier now than I was when I was pregnant. I'm doing more exercise than I've ever done before (dance practice twice a week) yet I've gone from a steady 7 - 8 stones to a little under 12 stone (if I squint)*. I'm new to this losing weight game and I've got no idea what I'm doing. I suppose I was quite aragont in thinking I would never need to worry about this, I was wrong, very wrong. I need help, I've got no idea how to exercise in a way that won't cost a fortune or feel humiliating, there's so much advice out there I don't know what's right or wrong or what to believe. Ok I'm gonna sound desperate now (but I am desperate) I need support from people who understand. If anyone out there thinks they could spare some support and befriend me it'd really help, I offer support and friendship in return though advice may be lacking.

Desperately seeking friends.

*If you're reading this thinking ' I wish I could get down to 12 stone', please dont be offended, size is relative. If you're thinking 'skinny all of her life, she deserves this' you're probably not the first to think it, wouldn't be the first to say it and you're probably right.

Replies

• Catie_v2
    Catie_v2 Posts: 67
    Options
    My first piece of advice is Keep it Simple!! Weight loss is a numbers game. When you set up your profile on MFP you tell it how much weight you want to lose per week and how active you are. They then give you a calorie goal to meet that number. If you exercise, you burn even more calories (so you can either eat some of them back or just increase the amount of weight you lose each week).

So what are the key things? Using the food diary - this will track how many calories you eat. Using the exercise diary - helps to track the calories burned. At the end of the week, if you stay on target with the MFP calorie goal you will lose weight.

Add me if you want a new friend =)
  • BethKL
    Options
    Simple sounds good! Thanks for the explanation, it's really helpful. What exercise do you do, if you don't mind me asking?
  • tangoa24
    tangoa24 Posts: 27
    Options
    When I started gaining weight I gained A LOT in my abdomen and had several people ask me when my baby was due. What I found out later is that I have PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) and one of its symptoms is weight gain in the abdomen. I know what a completely awful feeling it is to have people think you're pregnant when you're not. That was a big part of my motivation to join this site. If I were you I would google PCOS and see if you have some of the other symptoms, then see your doc about it. Otherwise, just use this site! This community is so amazing and supportive, and it really is a lifestyle changer!
  • cljulius
    cljulius Posts: 9
    Options
    I was the same way, always thin. Then, in my 30's, I had 2 babies, within 18 months. I don't think I ever lost all of the weight. I now look like I am about 6 months pregnant, but am definitely not! I just started this whole thing, too. I am using the food journal and the exercise log. I know by logging everything I eat makes me really think about what I am putting in my body. As for exercise, I am using my Elliptical machine and doing the exercises on my Wii Fit. You can add me as a friend if you want. I don't have my advice, but I will be very supportive.
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I've been asked when I'm due, how far along I am, etc. All my fat goes to my gut though so I can see why they think that. That was a major motivator in beginning my weight loss journey. I also had always been very thin until I took a desk job so I have had a very hard time making myself eat better foods.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    I would first check out with a doctor and make sure everything is alright and that you just gained weight from eating, not from anything else, before I started dieting.
  • lostropav
    lostropav Posts: 21
    Options
    I think I am on the right track: eat right (healthy, unprocessed) and work out to get to eat a little more. Add me if you want.
  • Sigmatam
    Sigmatam Posts: 5
    Options
    Hang in there; we know it can be incredibly tough.

Like you, I used to be the skinny girl. I was so skinny my friends used to resent me for it. Then one day, seemingly out of nowhere boom... tummy and butt. Now, I know the weight really didn't come from nowhere, I just never thought I had to worry either. When I realized I had to worry, I was just so demotivated I didn't know what to do. It's daunting to think that in my early 30's I have no idea how to lose weight. Due to some minor medical issues (thyroid, chronic headache) my weight can tend to yoyo, but it's been increasing steadliy since about October of last year. I talked to my doctor at one point and all I got was "you're a smart; you know what to do."

What's even more mortifying is that my identical twin, who has had 2 kids, is still smaller and weighs less then me (**Yes, I wan't kids, just not quite yet). At my nephew's baby shower my one aunt even walked up to me to "rub" my tummy. I thought I was going to die.

My advice: Start tracking what you eat. I was shocked when I realized just how many calories I was eating. I also noticed I was using food as sort of a comfort crutch--if my day was bad and overwhelming, I realized I ate unhealthier. Sort of rewarding myself for a rough day. I find drinking the 8 cups of water a day really helps knock out the "bad" cravings.

It also helps to find something that motivates you to eat healthy and work out. Me, I have lots of trouble with that, but it's a work in progress. It helps that I can take my kindle to the gym or workout using the Wii. I recently purchased a FitBit Ultra to assist me aswell I'm horrible at making the gym on a regular basis, so this also forces me to think about how active I am.

I agree w/ making sure everything is good medically. I've been on the not good end of the medical spectrum.

Hope this helps.
  • kaymarie78
    kaymarie78 Posts: 104
    Options
    I totally know how you feel. I've looked very pregnant for around the last year or so. And I actually found out I have a large tumor in my abdomen, so I'm hoping my stomach will look totally different after surgery!! Feel free to add me if you like!
  • Catie_v2
    Catie_v2 Posts: 67
    Options
    Simple sounds good! Thanks for the explanation, it's really helpful. What exercise do you do, if you don't mind me asking?

I walk my dog for 15-30 min as much as possible (though the heat wave in MA this week has been brutal!). I do go to the gym and do cardio and/or some kind of weights exercise (either using weights or my own body weight like push ups)....

Even if I only get to the gym one or two times a week, I know I am better off than if I stayed on the couch! And I also KNOW that I will feel better for having gone.
  • hhayes06
    hhayes06 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Welcome to your weight loss journey! I have the same problem of looking like I am about 5 months pregnant when I am undoubtably not pregnant, it sucks. I have been using this site for about 6 weeks and have lost 4 pounds just by dieting alone. I do some random exercise but they aren't your typical exercises. I log when I take my boys swimming or clean the house or do a particularly large grocery shop as they aren't figured into my every day lifestyle. You can do this is you commit and stick to it! Feel free to add me as a friend if you need/want another mommy friend on here.
  • SadieChron
    SadieChron Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Beth:
    I understand where you are coming from. I' m not technically overweight, but I'm at the top end of my BMI. I don't want to be unrealistically skinny, as so many women seem to want to be. I get so annoyed when celebrities lose weight but then keep going to the point where they are super-skinny,. I just want to look less pregnant, as I collect all the fat in my tummy and this is the most unhealthy place to collect it. Studies show fat around the tummy is worse that fat around the hips. So, if we chat and help each other along the way, that'd be great!

ps where in Britain are you from? My brother was in school in Cardiff recently.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I would first check out with a doctor and make sure everything is alright and that you just gained weight from eating, not from anything else, before I started dieting.
    that was my first though too. it just seems like common sense.

when this happened to my mother it was because her kidneys were riddled with cysts and each the size of a baby. now she's slowly dying of polycystic kidney disease. cheerful huh?
  • BethKL
    Options
    Wow, what a lovely supportive place this is. Thanks to everyone for their kind messages and helpful advice. It's encouraging to know other people have had the same not pregnant/ look pregnant problem. The medical warnings are a bit scarey, I've been thinking about going to the doctor but thought they'd send me away with a flea in my ear for wasting their time and tell me to go on a diet. I should get checked out though, just to be on the safe side. Some people have suggested it might be the contraceptive implant I have in my arm so I was just blaming that and putting it out of my mind.
  • hollynono
    hollynono Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi - I can relate. I´m not seriously obese but, having said that, I am seriously not at the weight I should be. Add me as a friend if you like!
  • tinlis
    tinlis Posts: 34
    Options
    Hi,
    I too am 75 Kilos. I find it very difficult to lose my abdominal fat. I'm65 so at least I don't get the preggie question.
    I feel morbidly obese people think we are nuts but it's all relative. Having lost 3.6 kilos I can now breathe better when walking uphill. I tend to reach 65 kilos.
    I walk a lot (dog owner) it's the hills that get me.
    I wish you luck on the journey. Tinlis
  • BethKL
    Options
    Scarey stuff! Thanks for the advice.
  • BethKL
    Options

Like you, I used to be the skinny girl. I was so skinny my friends used to resent me for it. Then one day, seemingly out of nowhere boom... tummy and butt. Now, I know the weight really didn't come from nowhere, I just never thought I had to worry either. When I realized I had to worry, I was just so demotivated I didn't know what to do. It's daunting to think that in my early 30's I have no idea how to lose weight. Due to some minor medical issues (thyroid, chronic headache) my weight can tend to yoyo, but it's been increasing steadliy since about October of last year. I talked to my doctor at one point and all I got was "you're a smart; you know what to do."

What's even more mortifying is that my identical twin, who has had 2 kids, is still smaller and weighs less then me (**Yes, I wan't kids, just not quite yet). At my nephew's baby shower my one aunt even walked up to me to "rub" my tummy. I thought I was going to die.

My advice: Start tracking what you eat. I was shocked when I realized just how many calories I was eating. I also noticed I was using food as sort of a comfort crutch--if my day was bad and overwhelming, I realized I ate unhealthier. Sort of rewarding myself for a rough day. I find drinking the 8 cups of water a day really helps knock out the "bad" cravings.

It also helps to find something that motivates you to eat healthy and work out. Me, I have lots of trouble with that, but it's a work in progress. It helps that I can take my kindle to the gym or workoOut using the Wii. I recently purchased a FitBit Ultra to assist me aswell I'm horrible at making the gym on a regular basis, so this also forces me to think about how active I am.

I agree w/ making sure everything is good medically. I've been on the not good end of the medical spectrum.

Hope this helps.
  • BethKL
    Options

It also helps to find something that motivates you to eat healthy and work out. Me, I have lots of trouble with that, but it's a work in progress. It helps that I can take my kindle to the gym or workoOut using the Wii. I recently purchased a FitBit Ultra to assist me aswell I'm horrible at making the gym on a regular basis, so this also forces me to think about how active I am.

Hope this helps.

This helps loads, thank you. I hope you've moved up the medical spectrum now.

I'm definitely doing the comfort eating thing, I quit smoking 95 days ago and with my taste buds now in full working order I've been tasting food like I never have before, I've just replaced on addiction for another. Lemon cheese cake from Pret features heavily in my cravings.
  • stina0t2
    stina0t2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am totally here for you!

I had the same thing happen to me when I was home for my younger sister's bridal shower in May. A friend of my mom's told me I looked great and patted my stomach - thinking I was my older sister - who was 8 months pregnant at the time. Needless to say the experience left me a little shaken and in much need of a glass of wine.

But I'm using it as motivation to get my **** tight and never have that happen again.

Together - we can do this!