Cake batter flavor protein pancake recipe

Options
_Amy_Budd
_Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
Totally yummy, high protein, healthy fat, very low carb.

(Note - I actually have cake batter flavor protein powder - the brand is Optimum Nutrition, and I got it on amazon. You could substitute vanilla flavor, though it wouldn't taste as much like cake batter, obviously...)

Step 1: In a bowl, combine:
2.5 tablespoons cake batter flavored protein powder
1 egg (I used the whole egg, and the end product had a slight egg-y taste to it. This doesn't bother me at all, but if you don't like that, you could experiment with 2 egg whites instead, I suppose...)
1 teaspoon coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon baking powder (NOT baking soda. Live and learn.)
1 tablespoon water
Step 2: Mix well.
Step 3: Put a teaspoon of butter or ghee in a small frying pan (I don't use cooking spray, and I like the buttery taste that this gives the pancake) - let it melt, spread it over the surface of the frying pan
Step 4: Pour in the mixture - into one big pancake - and cook over a medium low heat. When bubbles form all over the surface and the pancake firms up enough to flip, flip it. Once it's flipped, it should only cook about 30 seconds on the second side, since it's already cooked almost all the way through.
Step 5: Slide it onto a plate. Eat. Enjoy.

(Second note: Some people eat this with low carb syrup or honey or whatever. I don't think it needs it - I think it's totally delish as is. But to each his or her own.)

This one pancake has:
311 calories (that's including the 1 tsp. of butter/ghee melted in the pan)
5 grams of carbs
16 grams of fat
36 grams of protein (!!!)
1 gram of sugar

I'm told that they freeze well and reheat in the microwave for a quick high protein breakfast or snack. Haven't tried it, but thought it was worth a mention.

:)
Amy

Replies