Chalean Extreme, Turbo Jam, or PX90

Options
Hey Myfitpals,

I'm looking for a nice compliment for gym classes. I need to lose 50lbs! I don't expect much out of a DVD so as long as it came hold my interest for at least a month I will consider it a good investment. FYI, I've tried Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and just couldn't get with it. I was actually bored; needless to say I didn't see any results because I couldn't do it consistently. I need something more upbeat and most importantly something that will shock my body without putting me in actual SHOCK to aid with this weight loss goal.

Replies

• tnrown87
    tnrown87 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Insanity! :devil:
  • poshcouture
    poshcouture Posts: 610
    Options
    I've used Chalene Johnson's workouts and I love them. I have yet to tackle P90X; however I have completed Turbo Jam, Turbo Fire and ChaLean Extreme. Awesome programs! Currently I'm doing a Turbo Fire/Les Mills Body Pump Hybrid. Anyway, I suppose it depends on your level of fitness. I would say that Turbo Jam is more for people who've never worked out or trying to get back into it. If you're looking for a challenge, I'd recommend Turbo Fire, P90x or ChaLean Extreme.
  • MommaFuhrer
    MommaFuhrer Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Turbo Fire right now! I think it's really fun! It's really upbeat but takes a few weeks to get used to the moves!
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am on my 3rd week of P90X. It was different than what I expected. I have been working out half my life, so I did not find this as "scary" as people make it out to be. I still find it challenging because the workouts are different and pretty long, but I am enjoying it so far. AND I believe I am seeing results. I don't have lbs to lose but inches... I am getting married this fall and want to look my best.
    What I love about P90X is what you get. You get 12 DVDs, a workout schedule, and meal plans. There are so many different options, too. There is the Classic (what I am doing), Doubles (for the crazies), and Lean (more cardio). The Classic has 2 days of cardio and 4 days of strength/abs. All you need are the bands... or pull up bar if you want to gain more muscle.
    I hope this helps!
  • Bloomsday
    Bloomsday Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I think the best way to figure out if these are for you is to go to Beachbody's website to see clips and read descriptions. You can check out Youtube for this too.

All of these are good, but are different. Turbo Jam is a combination of martial arts/kicking boxing and involves some "dance-type" moves. P90X can CE are more similar (weights/cardio) and are 90 days programs.

You'll find a lot of people use each and love them. I couldn't tell which to buy, and the Beachbody website was pretty helpful in breaking down routines, providing descriptions, etc.
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I started w/30DS too. I went onto ChaLean Extreme and loved it!!! I'm now doing Jillian Michaels Body Revolution and love it as well, maybe better than ChaLean X. W/ChaLean you do the same several dvd's for 4 wks then move on to a different set the next 4. But w/JMBR you switch your sets of dvds every 2weeks, no boredom!!! I feel stronger and more energized!! I am on week 6 out of 12.
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I started w/30DS too. I went onto ChaLean Extreme and loved it!!! I'm now doing Jillian Michaels Body Revolution and love it as well, maybe better than ChaLean X. W/ChaLean you do the same several dvd's for 4 wks then move on to a different set the next 4. But w/JMBR you switch your sets of dvds every 2weeks, no boredom!!! I feel stronger and more energized!! I am on week 6 out of 12.

Oh and I love the fact that JMBR dvd's are only 30 min long, all of them. W/ChaLean they go from 27 min to 45 min. I have 2 small kids anything more 30 min is a problem to get the whole thing done. That's the reason I havent done P90X, I dont have time for those dvd's.
  • Skeels
    Skeels Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Turbo Fire, Insanity, Aslyum
  • locomokeman
    locomokeman Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    P90X
  • littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Im doing turbo fire the past 6 weeks and I absolutely love it.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Turbo Jam. The others don't really leave any room for adding in your own thing on top of them or else you'll hit overtraining. Doing P90X or Insanity especially means committing to that and ONLY that. You could supplement in some running but that's about it. P90X and Insanity are rigorous and very strict schedule-wise. Stick to it to the letter, nothing more, nothing less, if you plan on doing anything else with it. If you want something you plan on supplementing with gym time as well it pretty much has to be a beginner level program such as TJ.
  • sarrylove
    sarrylove Posts: 88
    Options
    If you are looking for something upbeat to keep you interested in it, I definitely recommend any of Chalene Johnson's programs (Chalean Extreme, Turbo Jam, Turbo Fire). The music is great in these workouts and she is so motivating and really pushes you without being annoying. I am currently doing Turbo Fire and I am having great results (17.9 lbs. lost and 14 in.).
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Options
    I tried 30 day shred. Boring and it is only around 20 minutes. Not a good enough workout for me. I have a lot of work out DVD's because all my workouts are at home. P90X is my favorite and Turbo Fire would be second Fav. You can't get bored with either one because it is a different workout everyday. And they really push you to your limits. P90X is an hour to hour and a half a workout. Love that I can put it on just ques only and play my own music in the back ground.

I should also mention that when I first started doing them I could not get through a whole DVD. Every day I pushed myself a little more. Now getting through them. They are not easy but getting in shape is not easy either. LOL!
  • DezynerOriginal
    DezynerOriginal Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Chalene Extreme is good, but I love Turbo Jam; I work out to it everyday because it's fun. I do two hours with no problem and I have all three of these plus Insanity and I still continue to run back to Turbo Jam.
  • heyitsadam
    heyitsadam Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hey Myfitpals,

I'm looking for a nice compliment for gym classes. I need to lose 50lbs! I don't expect much out of a DVD so as long as it came hold my interest for at least a month I will consider it a good investment. FYI, I've tried Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and just couldn't get with it. I was actually bored; needless to say I didn't see any results because I couldn't do it consistently. I need something more upbeat and most importantly something that will shock my body without putting me in actual SHOCK to aid with this weight loss goal.

INSANITY. Skip p90x if you're looking for a compliment to the gym (you're already doing weights there).

I'm on day 24 of INSANITY. I've missed ONE day because of a stomach virus, otherwise I've been ON every day without fail. I'm down 24 pounds and lost 2 inches on my waist.... and I haven't touched a weight in almost a month.
  • zombiefarmboy
    zombiefarmboy Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Insanity! :devil:
    Agreed.
  • athangap
    athangap Posts: 17
    Options
    upbeat - definitely TURBO FIRE !
  • queenkb
    queenkb Posts: 39
    Options
    Just when I thought I'd made a decision on one you guys throw in something else like INSANITY! :) I am soo scared of that dvd mostly because of the title and infomercials! Thank you all for the great feedback. I think it maybe a toss up between Chalean Extreme and P90X! Thanks again for the valuable feedback!