Elliptical vs Rower vs Bike

Options
Ok. I'm looking for 1 piece of exercise equipment. Storage isn't really an issue, but if it would fold up or store nicely that would be a plus. So what is everyone's favorite and why? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Read something interesting - about how an elliptical takes your rear posterior chain out of the exercise due to the backswing of the platforms. FFT.
  • jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    That is interesting.
  • jonward85
    Options
    BUMP. Trying to get some replies.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If I had to pick one of the three it would be a rower. Great aerobic workout, zero impact (as are the other two) and a full body workout. I've never used an elliptical and I prefer to bike in the great outdoors (in the winter I have a trainer for my road bike so I'm using a bike that's properly fitted to me all year 'round)

The Concept2 (which is probably the gold standard of rowing machines) doesn't fold but can be broken down into two pieces for easy storage in a matter of seconds.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Rowing is the most complete form of exercise out of all of them. No impact, full body, and more calories burned per hour.
  • jonward85
    Options
    I was leaning toward a rowing machine myself, but wanted the greater populous' opinion. Anyone else?
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    Love the treadmill and the elliptical....hard to pick a favourite..Elliptcal gives you a full body workout..
  • Lindy901
    Lindy901 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    We have an elliptical and a recumbent bike. I would like a rower. I have a hard time choosing because I like variety. I guess I'd say elliptical because it seems like a quicker calorie burn and a little harder to do than the bike. I have tried a rower once and really liked it but I have a shoulder injury.
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I've never used a rower, but I prefer the elliptical over the bike. I never feel like I've had a workout after riding the bike. Unless I am riding a real bike outdoors.
  • bethmillerwilson
    bethmillerwilson Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Rower is definitely the complete full body exercise with no impact. Please be determined with the rower though because it is not "easy" exercise like walking. Just keep your focus and you will get great results.
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    If it's a piece for home then I would go for the rower, probably the best all round workout.

The Concept 2 that was mentioned earlier is great but pretty expensive for home use - unless you have the money!

I went for something a little cheaper, which is ideal for when I can't get to the gym to use the Concept 2.
  • LifeChangingExp
    Options
    Rowing is the most complete form of exercise out of all of them. No impact, full body, and more calories burned per hour.

YESS this ^^
  • ccarre81
    ccarre81 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I use a recumbent bike and would recommend it to anyone. My husband has knee problems and is still able to use it... just not at level higher than 6. It makes me sweat :smile:

I power walk in the great outdoors.
  • ldennett
    ldennett Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I would get the bike myself. You can bike while watching tv and it is straight forward to do. It doesn't burn as many calories as the rower but personally I find it hard to spend more than 10 minutes on a rower (used to be a competitive rower so maybe I just go too hard) but I am quite happy to cycle for an hour or even 90 minutes on a bike. A bike also often doesn't need that much maintenance and holds up way better than ellipticals do.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I use all three pieces of equipment regularly, but if I had to choose one it would be the rower. The rower is definately harder and you get more of an all body work out with it.
  • mdh1127
    mdh1127 Posts: 93
    Options
    I love my elliptical, but I also have looked into getting a rowing machine recently. I like to change things up often. I think that the rower is a better overall body workout. As someone said earlier, I would rather bike outside.

You will obviously benefit most from the machine you will use!! This is very important. Make sure that you choose something that will not turn into a coat rack ;)

Good luck!!
  • peacheznlace
    peacheznlace Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    For many years I was obsessed with the elliptical. That was my go-to cardio machine before I decided to take up running (the last 3 or so years). But recently I found the rower to be just as good if not better (and more addicting) to use. I agree with previous posters that the rowing machine would be your best bet if you had to choose.
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,161 Member
    Options
    1. Rowing if you want complete workout but you won't be able to do for long time.

2. Ellipitcal- Easy and burns calories at much faster rate. You can do for long time as well.
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    We have an elliptical and a treadmill. I would say I prefer the treadmill - its the most like walking which I like. But the elliptical is what I choose when my knee is bothering me.

When I belonged to a health club I would sometimes use the rowing machine but I really did not like it:tongue:

As for a bike - I really like to bike and its a great work out. But I would not buy an exercise bike. Its is just not the same as biking on the road. I am thinking about getting one of those set ups that let you ride your regualr bike inside. That might be fun for the winter.

I would suggest you buy the machine you are most likely to use.
  • jonward85
    Options
    During the warmer months i bike and job, but it's cold here for 7-9 mos out of the year *normally* (this last winter was a joke). Looking for something to keep me in shape during the winter. I'm loving all the feedback i'm getting. Anyone else got more to add?