Warm lemon

Options
someone told me that you should drink 2 tablespoons of lemon juice mixed with warm water first thing in the morning to help weight loss. Has anyone tried this?

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    someone told me that you should drink 2 tablespoons of lemon juice mixed with warm water first thing in the morning to help weight loss. Has anyone tried this?

Plenty of people have tried it.

I wouldn't waste your time with it.
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    While blindfolded, facing east and hopping on one foot? :bigsmile:

Seriously - how might this aid directly in weight loss, other than being a harmless, somewhat pleasant fluid intake?
  • erin023
    erin023 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I've heard that too. There are other things you can add to make it into a cleanse too and apparently it works wonders for weight loss although I've never been able to stick with it so I can't say anything. Check out 'Master Cleanse'!
  • phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Options
    I squeeze half a fresh lemon and mix 6 ounces of hot water every morning. It's incredibly cleansing and helps with bloating. I retain water like no one's business and hot lemon water first thing in the morning on an empty stomach helps with that.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I have heard about it, but personally, I can't stand how it tastes, so I won't do it for anything other than a sore throat, and even then, I add honey.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    If old wives' tales like this were true, we'd all be stick figures! Sorry, there's no magic pill. Or fruit. :smile:
  • phillieschic
    Options
    FYI, it's not a "get skinny quick" scam...read this..it makes sense:

http://www.naturalnews.com/033383_lemon_juice_digestion.html

It's about cleansing and helping with digestion, people...NOT quick weight loss. Damn.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    FYI, it's not a "get skinny quick" scam...read this..it makes sense:

http://www.naturalnews.com/033383_lemon_juice_digestion.html

It's about cleansing and helping with digestion, people...NOT quick weight loss. Damn.
    Ohhhhh. It gets rid of toxic slime. Now it makes perfect sense.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I've heard it does help with digestion/bloating, plus it jazzes up your water a little and makes your hands smell so niiiii'
  • phillieschic
    Options
    Yeah...I wish there was a way to rid MFP of slime. That stuff runs rampant around here... :drinker:
  • CWatermelon
    CWatermelon Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    It is a win-win situation for lots of functions and lemons are a great fruit. It can't hurt you, and even if you deny the science behind it, it is a win-win. I would definitely cleanse my teeth after it because lots of regular citric acid may harm the enamel on your teeth, but not sure how much is too much. Anything in moderation is better :)

I did do this when I was in the military since someone recommended it to me. I also did it when I tried the "eat right for your blood type" scam. I forgot about it until I read this post. I vaguely recollect I liked how it made me feel, but then it was also when I was running a lot and eating healthy so it could have been anything and everything. :)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Chances are you already eat and drink a lot of things that "aid with digestion". If you want to drink lemon juice, go hog wild. But lemon juice is not going to play a deciding factor in how much weight you lose.

The people who lose weight and keep it off are the people who have made significant changes to their lifestyle... Not the people who use little tips and tricks like drinking lemon juice or green tea.
  • athangap
    athangap Posts: 17
    Options
    I have tried it Initially when I started to lose weight .

I helps to flush the water weight, I mixed lemon and half table spoon of honey with warm water every morning.
  • recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    When life gives you lemons...make weight loss water?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Chances are you already eat and drink a lot of things that "aid with digestion". If you want to drink lemon juice, go hog wild. But lemon juice is not going to play a deciding factor in how much weight you lose.

The people who lose weight and keep it off are the people who have made significant changes to their lifestyle... Not the people who use little tips and tricks like drinking lemon juice or green tea.

^Best Answer.
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options

:drinker:
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options

^Best Answer.

Geezus people

The people responding are making the point that it is a cleansing aid. Any thing highly acidic is going to be a cleansing aid, therefore it will make you lose temporary weight, so yes it is a weight loss cure just not in any permanent sense. It lowers your water retention but it can also play games with your electrolytes, that is a reason why you retain water....
  • CWatermelon
    CWatermelon Posts: 146 Member
    Options

Perfect! You put it succinctly...I would rather lose fat than water and even weight. Muscle just makes us look leaner. Compare a 140 pound muscular woman to a 140 pound fat woman and you will notice a big difference.

We lose fat by expending more energy then we take in via calories. Consuming healthy nutritional food will give us as much energy so we can expend more energy to change the composition of our body. But retaining extra water is bad right?
  • phillieschic
    Options
    My mother died at the age of 47 from a very rare cancer that attached itself to her gall bladder causing her to have a blocked bile duct. The tumor had spread and encapsulated her aorta before it was discovered in March 2001, making it non-resectable. At the time, only one in 11 people in the entire WORLD would develop this cancer. She didn't have a single day of pain. She basically turned yellow from the inside out because the bile had no where to go...it filled her blood stream and the only reason she went to the doctor in the first place is because she suddenly became very jaundiced.

From March 30 through July 22, 2001, I watched her starve to death because her body could not process food. I learned a lot about the human digestive system and enzymes and bile during that time. Her cancer doctor explained to me how while we think that our bodies are doing a good job of flushing out the food we put in them, sometimes they don't and sometimes you find out too late. We even had a discussion about the types of foods that AID the body's organs in doing their job. Namely, the enzymes in acidic fruits.

Will lemon juice help you lose weight directly? NO! I never said that. But, if it helps my liver work better which ultimately helps me "flush toxic bile" from my body causing me to weigh less because I'm not carrying around 3-4 pounds of my own waste, then all the better.

RIP: Deborah S. Lyall
    8/15/53-7/22/01
    Twenty eight years was not enough time for me to get with you...
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    I put lemon in my water all the time. It just tastes better.