What is considered a low sugar food?

Options
So I found out that I may be what is called insulin resistant. My younger brother is too. We're pretty much going to have to follow a diabetic diet (Which is good because my husband is diabetic) I was just wondering what is the number that we're looking for as the total grams of sugar. Thanks in advance everyone!

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Why?

Diabetes?
  • binariiangel
    binariiangel Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    My husband has type 2 diabetes, and my brother is insulin resistant, and I'm most likely insulin resistant as well. I'm just trying to do some research to figure out things for our healthy lifestyle change.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    It's not just sugar you should be looking at reducing, but all carbs, since they get turned to sugar as well.

I'd recommend having a read: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/diabetes

Just to add - I've been following Primal for 2 years and love it.

My dad was pre-diabetic, made some changes to his diet to reduce carbs significantly and saw great improvements. I'm convinced that if he went a tad bit further he could almost reverse it. He just loves his morning toast and carby treats a little too much.

Another good read that explains a study comparing Paleo vs the Meditareneean diet, which is what the ADA recommends:
    http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2011/11/07/healthwatch-caveman-diet-helps-diabetics-in-ucsf-study/
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Cutting the processed stuff and reducing the starches will get you most of the way there.

Mark's Daily Apple rocks ... sorry, groks ;)
  • binariiangel
    binariiangel Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    The reason that I was asking about the grams of sugar, is because I have some Thomasville thin bagels, which have 3gs of sugar, and I was just wondering where that ranks in the grand scheme of things.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    The reason that I was asking about the grams of sugar, is because I have some Thomasville thin bagels, which have 3gs of sugar, and I was just wondering where that ranks in the grand scheme of things.
    Stop looking at the sugar and look at the carbs.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Stop looking at the sugar and look at the carbs.

Yep, Unless we are talking a lot of fibre content (unlikely in most cases) then all carbs boil down to the same thing ... glucose.

Excess glucose in the blood is highly toxic ... insulin keeps it down ... too much insulin for too long means our body gets used to it which is REALLY bad news.

Carbohydrate drives insulin drives fat accumulation.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Damn, I love MFP because there are some smart people here. Everyone so far got it right, and nobody posted stupid diabetes myths.

Watch your CARBS, the sugar content itself is irrelevant. That said, something high in sugar by definition will be high in carbs, too.

A diet for someone with prediabetes is no different than what a non-diabetic *should* eat. Your total carb intake should be proportional to the energy you expend on a typical day. If you have a job where you're lifting heavy stuff all day, then you can eat a few huge plates of pasta. If you sit at a desk, then you need very little.

Since I sit a desk, my carbs are set at about 125-150 per day net, with very little grains.
  • BrynnyB
    BrynnyB Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If a person is concerned about blood glucose, as you would be if you are insulin resistant, there are three things you should be mindful of. How many carbs you consume in one sitting. Total carbs in a day. And finally, and perhaps most importantly, the impact certain carbs have on blood glucose. Not all carbs are created equal. Check out the link, and try to eat foods that have a low glycemic load (which is a measure of how the carbs in that particular serving of a certain type of food impact blood glucose).

http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

Keep serving sizes reasonable, and choose foods with a low GL. You will also notice that white breads (which is what most bagels are) have a relatively high GL in comparison to specialty grainy breads made with whole wheat and lots of grainy bits in them.

Hope that helps!