Heart Rate Monitor Watches

Options
Hi all,

Heart Rate Monitor watches ....

What is your opinion on them?

Would you just wear as you are working out?

or would you wear all day long to calculate calories burned throughout the day? thanks....

Replies

• Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    It is improper use to wear a HRM all day long. For that, try something like a Fitbit or Bodybugg.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I wear my Polar FT4 every time I work out. But you do realize that it's not just a watch, right? It needs to have a chest strap that the transmitter attaches to which then sends the data to your watch.

I wouldn't wear mine all day. I think if you're looking for something like that, then you should look into getting a fitbit.
  • lmeslie
    lmeslie Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I wear my Polar FT4 every time I work out. But you do realize that it's not just a watch, right? It needs to have a chest strap that the transmitter attaches to which then sends the data to your watch.

I wouldn't wear mine all day. I think if you're looking for something like that, then you should look into getting a fitbit.

This is what I was going to say. I use the same model Polar HRM and I love it for working out because it is more accurate at calculating calories burned than generic MFP values. Like this poster said, you have to wear the chest strap, which you wet beforehand since the electrodes need to be wet to work properly. This would not be maintainable all day. Also, the point is to calculate calories burned during aerobic activity, not calculate the number of calories you burn doing daily activities that are part of your basal metabolic rate. I hope this helps!
  • mistyladidah
    mistyladidah Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I usually just wear mine when exercising, but I've been thinking about wearing it for a 24 hour period to see what it says. I like to have it on when really cleaning too because it helps me log. I get hungrier so I need to log the cleaning so I can "get the ok" as it were to eat more.
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I only use my Polar ft4 Heart Rate Monitor when I'm exercising. It goes well with the Fitbit (which I can wear all day). Also, Heart Rate Monitor watches are just the visual. Make sure to get one with a chest strap, if you do get one.
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with all the other posts. A HRM without a chest strap is not nearly as accurate as one with a chest strap. I have the Polar F6 and love it!
  • Trishajac
    Trishajac Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I just saw a Kijiji deal for a HRM - it said it was a style that didn't require a chest strap....

I have seen that some people on MFP use them - wasn't sure on why they are used.... (well duration - just aerobic or more)

thanks again....
  • beviboop13
    beviboop13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have just started all this and I have a Polar FT7. At first when I got it I didn't realize I had to wear a chest strap and almost returned it! Then I read the good reviews on Amazon, like 238 good ones and decided if they could all do it so could I! I only wear it for BodyPump class and walking or running stairs at our local park. I am addicted to it now and don't even notice the strap! I love knowing how many calories I really burn and I like to change things up to see what burns the most! I love this program and my Heart monitor! I have thought about wearing it all day, but you have to keep the electrodes wet for it to work so if you aren't sweating you would have to wet it .
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7 - only when I'm working out. I will occasionally wear it if I go play basketball, volleyball or something just out of curiosity as to calories burned or maxed heart rate.
  • Trishajac
    Options
    Thanks - I'll check the Polar FT7 out!
  • jumatwins
    jumatwins Posts: 74
    Options
    Sorry for intruding in the OP here... but could I step in and ask a follow-up question?
    Can you get just heart rate monitor watch (without chest wrap)? I do not want to wear a chest wrap when I exercise, and for things like going to my Yoga or Pilates class (no one wears these). Is the watch sufficiant to at least get an approximation of the # of calories burned? I'm using what MFP tells me now (and substarcting some because I read that it overestimates the number of calories burned) – so I’m thinking that a watch may be at least better than what MFP tells me?
    And I almost never eat back my calories, so it doesn’t really need to be very accurate, it’s mostly just for curiosity…
    Thanks!
  • m_shuman
    m_shuman Posts: 179
    Options
    Sorry for intruding in the OP here... but could I step in and ask a follow-up question?
    Can you get just heart rate monitor watch (without chest wrap)? I do not want to wear a chest wrap when I exercise, and for things like going to my Yoga or Pilates class (no one wears these). Is the watch sufficiant to at least get an approximation of the # of calories burned? I'm using what MFP tells me now (and substarcting some because I read that it overestimates the number of calories burned) – so I’m thinking that a watch may be at least better than what MFP tells me?
    And I almost never eat back my calories, so it doesn’t really need to be very accurate, it’s mostly just for curiosity…
    Thanks!

Yes you can get one with out a chest strap. However, the one with the chest strap feeds a continuous reading to the watch. You will find that the one without a chest strap only reads occasionally when you touch it and then uses the average of those redings to figure your calories burned. When I bought mine I only considered ones with a chest strap because I didn't want to have to touch it constantly. BTW I wear mine to yoga and pilates when I go.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit for daily use, I use a HRM (Polar FT7) for when I am doing exercise. I am finding that the HRM is more correct and the FitBit isn't too far off (which is better than some of the values I was getting from MFP entries alone).

I couldn't see wearing my HRM strap all day - it's not the most comfy thing and it's supposed to be kept wet/damp to work. I would think that could cause some issues (skin related) if you wore it 24/7.
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

How would anyone know whether you are wearing the chest strap? It isn't visible under your clothes - though someone would see it if you were working out in just a sports bra, I suppose. Even then - I am the only one that wears one to zumba (no one else wears a watch like that) and i have never seen anyone use one at my office gym. It's totally fine. Do it once and it won't bother you. Particularly for yoga - I wouldn't want to have to interrupt my form to keep tapping the watch. I would think that a HRM with chest strap is safer!
  • jumatwins
    jumatwins Posts: 74
    Options
    oh...thanks... I did not knwo you had to tap it everytime to get a reading... I'll may look into the chest wrap thing then... I though it was visible and that people could see you with it... I don't want to attract attention from others in the class...I'm kind of a shy person!
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    oh...thanks... I did not knwo you had to tap it everytime to get a reading... I'll may look into the chest wrap thing then... I though it was visible and that people could see you with it... I don't want to attract attention from others in the class...I'm kind of a shy person!

The only time i have ever seen someone wearing it obviously was when a man ran past me, shirtless, wearing one :) No one will be able to tell - enjoy! I wish I had gotten mine sooner, it really changed my workouts.
  • Trishajac
    Options
    Great info everyone.... thanks!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    The chest straps are very comfortable and you wear them under your clothing. I'm a fan of Polar too - I've got a FT4 and love it!
  • IsisRosa
    IsisRosa Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have a HRM watch and I do not like it. It's more than just tapping it to get a reading. On mine, I have to hold my finger on it for about 5 seconds. Not easy to do when you are in mid workout. I took it to my aerobics class, held my finger on it and it wouldn't even start to check the reading. I don't have the time/patience to fiddle with things like that in the middle of a class.