Why did I jump up a pound?

Options
This may sound silly, but I'm concerned.... I have been under my calorie goal every day for the past 10 days that I have been on MFP. I have lost 4 pounds. I have been exercising twice a day (at least 2 hours of cardio and some light weights the past few days). I got on the scale this morning and I was up a pound. I make the mistake, I guess, of getting on the scale every morning to check my weight. What could be happening?

Replies

• recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    How long do you have? It could be tons of things. It could be you at a few 100 miligrams more sodium the day before and it's water weight. It could be you haven't had a bowel movement in a while and it's waiting to exit, etc.

Think of it this way, a 1 lb variation on a 150 lb person is under a 1% variation which is nothing. And it's reasons because of normal fluctuation that it's not good to weigh every day. A normal, healthy body in a weightloss pattern CAN shift up and down a few lbs constantly.

Don't sweat it. What you are looking for is the overall trend from week to week, month to month, etc.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to believe that you get on the scale every day and this is the first time you've seen a minor fluctuation.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Water, Salt, inflammation, poop

Not significant
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Judging by your user name, you're female- where are you in your cycle?

Also, this is the exact reason I don't weigh myself every day. Getting headwrecked over a pound is totally demotivational.
  • riverkit
    riverkit Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that muscle weighs 3x as much as fat.
  • bethbournias
    bethbournias Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It really is the first time. I know that I have a problem of wanting to see results and I know that it can be demotivational to get on the scale every day. How often is best for checking weight?
  • katweeks63
    katweeks63 Posts: 59
    Options
    Do you take vitamins? If you take magnesium daily you will go to the bathroom more, thus expelling your waste, not retaining it.
  • Tricialew32
    Tricialew32 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hard to tell with your diary private.
    I go up or down 1 or 2 lbs all week but usually see a drop eventually. I often notice a rise after a high sodium day. strangely my weight drop seems to happen after a rest day...you never know.

don't sweat it unless you keep gaining.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    It really is the first time. I know that I have a problem of wanting to see results and I know that it can be demotivational to get on the scale every day. How often is best for checking weight?

Once a year.

Check the belt daily though ;]
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to believe that you get on the scale every day and this is the first time you've seen a minor fluctuation.

For sure, I can vary 5 pounds in a day easy. On Sunday I weighed 7 pounds more than Friday, today I'm less than last Friday,

If I go for a walk I can lose 2 pounds, if I go to a party I can gain 4 pounds. But its all fake and temporary.

Keep weighing yourself every day, do not worry about day to day changes, but if it stays for a week, then worry
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Water, Salt, inflammation, poop

Not significant

The scale is your friend as long as you are objective and take it with a grain of salt. If I weigh in the evening, it can be up to 6lbs heavier than my morning weight. One time I had an 8lb fluctuation between my nighttime weight and my morning weight. At times like this, I just laugh and say "Oh scale, you so silly."
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    The alignment of the moon and the sun in different positions relative to the earth. Same thing that causes spring tides and neap tides. Its just a pound. Get over it.
  • bethbournias
    Options
    Thanks for that! I'll get some! :)
  • bethbournias
    Options
    Thats funny!! But, I get the message from everyone. I just felt really bad when I saw it, because I've seen a gradual loss, granted many days have been stagnant, but that was ok. The rise just concerned me. I know that I need to be eating more calories as well, but its hard for me to get my head around the fact that I need to keep eating those calories to lose.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Get on toilet, scoot a deuce, flush, pound gone.:flowerforyou:
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    When you do weight/strength training, your muscles retain water to 'repair' themselves. Never stress out over a minor gain when you're incorporating weights into your routine. It will be gone again soon!
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Must be the tide or the moon or something.

It's not fat, promise,
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    One pound is nothing. I fluctuate 2-3lbs in a day! Water weight can be anywhere from 1-6 pounds...so don't freak out because of one single pound...lol
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that muscle weighs 3x as much as fat.

No. No. And no.

Please stop noobing up the forums.

:grumble: