Healthy, Easy Lunches under 400 calories

Options
Emar11
Emar11 Posts: 246 Member
Does any one know of any good recipes that I could use to make lunches? I am so bored with salads , soups, and lean cuisines. When I get bored with my lunches I tend to buy lunch from the cafe at my work with are not good for my weight loss OR my bank account.

Replies

• GunnerGirl029
    GunnerGirl029 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Google weight watchers Stuffed Red Peppers. So Delish
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    Do you have access to a microwave? I bring all my own food to work: breakfast, lunch and snacks.

I bulk make things like spicy lentil stew, chilli con carne, bean soup etc that I can freeze/heat up in the microwave in work. All low cal, convienent and tasty.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a microwave? I bring all my own food to work: breakfast, lunch and snacks.

I bulk make things like spicy lentil stew, chilli con carne, bean soup etc that I can freeze/heat up in the microwave in work. All low cal, convienent and tasty.

^
    ^
    Definitely this !

Get a cute little lunchbag with a chillpak ...... even if you don't have a microwave, some things taste fine chilled ..... I often put chili on top of salad greens & chopped veggies ..... be smart ...... save your $$$ for new "skinny" clothes !

Good luck !
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you've had a healthy dinner, what can be easier than leftovers?

Others I like are:
    hummus or peanut butter with apple or veggie slices or whole grain crackers
    peanut butter sandwich
    wraps - I love these becasue they are so versatile and quick - just choose a protein (leftover fish/meat, canned tuna, hummus, cheese, chicken/tuna/egg salad, etc.) add a big handful of leafy greens, chopped/shredded veggies and a dressing of your choice (if needed) and roll up.
  • Emar11
    Options
    Yes, I have access to a microwave, and a refrigerator.
  • grumpers
    grumpers Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    we just discovered La Tortilla Factory" smart and delicious Soft Wrap" Minis--50 calories for a regular size tortilla with lots of fibre and the "Fiesta" version has a nice little bit of spicy flavor but not hot. It is amazing what you could put in a wrap, from left over chicken or beef, tuna, salad, lofat cheese...they are good warm or just out of the packet. Also makes wonderful breakfast tacos
  • nikkitodhunter
    Options
    My lunches are almost always under 400, these are two great standbys that can take so much variation but provide a lovely filling balance of protein & veg for under 400 :D plus it's very hard to do either wrong even if you're a mediocre cook!
    Make sure you weigh ingredients to get the most accurate cals though, eyeballing can elad you to underestimate... ):

> Wraps: I've recently had:
    - Chargrilled chicken breast pieces with lettuce and 15g grated cheddar in a wholemeal tortilla
    - Lettuce, spring onion and white fish cooked smeared in light garlic & herb cream cheese on a wholemeal tortilla
    (both were ~300-350 cals)

> stir fry (white fish, rice, white cabbage, red pepper, red onion, mange tout, basic stir fry sauce of sweet chili sauce/soy suace/orange juice - stior frys are EXCELLENT, you can have a big filling serving that's most of your five-a-day, they're tasty and quick!) (usually come in under 350 depending on what you use)

>
  • mishkat
    mishkat Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    This is for 400 calories dinner, which in turn could give you some leftovers for lunch.
    http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/recipe-collections-favorites/healthy-meals/400-calorie-dinners-00000000027141/index.html?viewdate=20110301

Another resource for 400 calories meals: http://400caloriesorless.com/ =)
  • krazeestraw
    krazeestraw Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Bump - I'd like some more ideas too!

I like to make a tuna salad and eat it with crackers or toast - but instead of using mayo as my dressing, I mix my tuna with regular yellow mustard and fresh dill. Soooo yummy, and can save you 40-100 calories depending on the type and amount of mayo you would normally use. If you have good crackers, add some veggies on the side and this is easily a 300-350 cal lunch.
  • natpalit
    natpalit Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You could try a jacket potato in the microwave with baked beans, or cottage cheese. Next to no prep. and low on calories.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Do you like fish? Its very simple to grill or bake a piece of tilapia or whichever type you like the night before and bring it to work to heat up. I have mine for lunch with a small amount of rice and a serving of whatever vegetable I have on hand.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Check this out.

I eat lots of sandwiches and wraps that are low calorie and delicious! I do the same with salads, as long as you change up the ingredients you will never get sick of it.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/collections/healthy_sandwich_recipes
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'm relying heavily on Trader Joe's Chicken Sausage (Andouille is my favorite flavor.) I can cook it for a minute in a microwave, or 10 mins in an oven if I want.
  • Emar11
    Options
    Thanks! There are a lot of good idea's so far.

I do like fish, but not at work really. I HATE it when people heat up fish in the microwaves. It really smells up the breakroom and the surrounding cubes, and I know if it bothers me, it probably bothers a lot of other people.
  • KathyReinhart
    KathyReinhart Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I googled healthy kids lunches and there were tons of yummy pictures of healthy whole foods. I found it inspiring and the portions were small-like bento boxes or muffin tin sizes perfect for adults too.