How to stay motivated?

Options
I have my gym appointment tonight and I already don't feel like going! I have been steadily losing weight for the last 6 months and I can feel my motivation slipping away, which is my pattern in life. I eat and exercise really well for a period of time..then go off track and can't get back on! Summer is so hard for me lots of family gatherings, cookouts etc. my mentality starts to say "why can't I have that ice cream everyone else is" old habits are so hard to break..any advice?

Replies

• ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    i would say have some but only some and work it into your calories :)

I have "boogy man" picture of myself that i look to everytime i think i wanna stop what I am doing and OMG its scary! All the motivation I need!
  • beautyofthedark
    beautyofthedark Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I made a vision board on pinterest of women that are in shape. I look at it everyday and imagine myself at that size. It really helps!
  • titianwasp
    titianwasp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I keep my weight loss calendar as my screen saver on my computer. Every time I come to the computer I see my goals and see how far I've come. It really helps to keep it right in front of my face all the time. If I see how far I've come, it's a little easier to say "no, don't eat that - you don't want to ruin all your hard work".
  • Cervantest
    Cervantest Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi! You are doing so great in this. Don't give up and give in. Remember why you want to do this in the first place: Diabetes, Husband, Children, Grandchildren. I don't have room to talk because last Saturday I lost what some would call my mind. I overate at a family gathering and the things I put into my mouth, well, let's just say, weren't what I'd want you to catch me eating!
    I love your smile. It seems so bright and genuine. Happy! Keep the appointment. Even if you go halfhearted at least you are there and something might kick you in the head and give you the motivation you need to keep saying NO. Wishing you great success and happiness. Have an amazing day! You have a 1000watt smile. teresa
  • toffee322
    toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i need to stay motivated too.. my problem is eating way too much and loving food too much.. sigh.. sometimes i have to force myself to exercise.. but i feel like watching what you eat (and the amount) is more important than exercising! exercise doesn't really help me. i just do it because i feel like i have to.
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    The best thing I did to keep myself motivated was to set a goal for myself that required me to stay on track. At first, it was to run a 5k race. Now that I've done that, 10k is my next goal. My ultimate goal, and the one I started training for last week, is to run a half marathon in October. I also have a Pinterest pinboard with motivational fitness quotes and pictures of fit women that I look at when I feel like skipping my exercise. Visual cues are quite motivating to most people. Do you have a past picture of yourself at your goal weight? If so, keep looking at it to remind yourself what you are working toward. And if all else fails, just do it anyway--whether you feel like it or not. No one ever regrets working out after it's over. :-)
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    In the words of your own profile- JUST DO IT!!!!!!!

Go on, just do it. I know it's really hard to keep yourself motivated- having dieted for over 25 years I really do understand- but just keep going. You CAN do it! Remember your grandchildren and your family; remember that you want to be as healthy as you can to give yourself the best chance of a long life. Go, go..........! x
  • emileesgram
    emileesgram Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone, it is pouring rain here in Massachusetts, thunder, lightening and I so want to go home and curl up with a book BUT I am going to go the gym!!! all the words of encouragement have really helped :heart: