What fitness equipment would you get for under $500?

Options
You've been given $500 that HAS to be spent on fitness related equipment/supplements/supplies. The only rule is that it can not be something that takes up any floor space when not in use, so no squat racks or weight benches. Give me your list =)

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Probably a used bicycle and if I had enough left new running shoes and if there was anything left weight plates.

The bike would hang up in the garage, the shoes go in the closet and the plates go on the rack that's already there so no additional floor space needed.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Everything takes up SOME floor space. How much is too much?

I'd go dumbells and a flat bench. The bench can be stood on its end in a closet or in a corner if need be, and if you had to you could get one of those all-in-one adjustable weight dumbbell sets (with the single pair of dumbbells that adjust to whatever weight you need).
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I would get a new pair of running shoes, a stability ball, a whole lotta dumbells, resistance bands and workout dvds that use body weight resistance!!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Everything takes up SOME floor space. How much is too much?

I'd go dumbells and a flat bench. The bench can be stood on its end in a closet or in a corner if need be, and if you had to you could get one of those all-in-one adjustable weight dumbbell sets (with the single pair of dumbbells that adjust to whatever weight you need).

If it can be stowed away in a closet when not in use, it's allowed =)
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    A gym membership. It fullfills the unrealistic restrictions of the question yet provides everything needed ;)
  • jmdax
    jmdax Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    PowerBlock Dumbells. For $500 you can get ones that adjust from 5-70lbs in 2.5lb increments. As performance and strength improves and money becomes available, you can expand them to 90lbs or even 125lbs if needed. Or you could spend a little less than $400 and get ones that adjust from 5-50lbs, which can expand in the future.
  • Fatal1ty2k5
    Fatal1ty2k5 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Start searching craigslist for the following..

Power rack
    bar bell
    300lbs of weights

I have found these on CL a couple different times for under $500 when toying with the idea of building a home gym.

Edit: NVM lol after posting I saw the rest of your OP and the part about not taking up floor space...
  • dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Options
    $500 worth of Truetein Cinnabun! Pure heaven
  • ethansmug
    ethansmug Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    With those restrictions your best bet is to get the $500 all in pennies and just lift sack fulls all day =P
  • KINGoftheBUFF
    KINGoftheBUFF Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Kettle Bells!
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    All great suggestions... I'd definitely suggest weights of some kind... heard of Les Mills Pump?? It's awesome! You can get the delux version with everything you need for less than $350 I think, and that has weights, a step bench, and cardio as part of the program... and then I'd find out about good supplements!

Ready, GO!
  • theresmynapkin
    theresmynapkin Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I'd buy P90X, medicine balls, Kettle bells, more running shoes, GU energy gels (I've always wanted to try them!), more free weights :)

In terms of exercise machines, definitely a spin bike and elliptical trainer (cheaper ones still do the job, and Amazon is great for discounts!)
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Hmm, for no floor space? Maybe an HRM, new workout clothes, entry fees into races or other events to train for and give me a goal to focus on.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    A new restraint headboard for my bed.
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Search Craigslist and you can find some great stuff that can be stowed away in your closet and you can buy so much more since you aren't buying it new. Alternatively a gym membership and sessions with a great trainer is another way to spend that cash.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    A power rack, bench and an olympic weight set. You'll be set for life.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Kettle bells, a dip bar, a weighted vest, WILL POWER!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's really anything that I would want other than a squat rack and weights and bars and things but you say those aren't allowed. lol. I'd probably spend all the money on new work out clothes and shoes.... or a gym membership for however long that lasts me.
  • mmychal
    mmychal Posts: 69
    Options
    My monthly gym membership.

It's 24 bucks a month so that's 20 months of membership - almost two years. And they have a basketball court, swimming pool, racketball courts and al kinds of other goodies.
  • amytag
    amytag Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Hmm...dumbbells, HRM or Fitbit, running shoes, and maybe some weighted ropes as I've heard they are awesome. But my absolute favorite is my stationary bike - not sure I could give it up, and it takes minimal space.