Help Please!

Options
Hello Friends,
I am so glad that I have a place to go to vent and ask for help. I feel like I don't know who else to turn to.

I have been using MFP for about three weeks now and tracking my food intake diligently. I have also been doing some exercise, but probably not enough.
However, I have been staying under my calorie goal every day and I have not lost any weight at all.

I can't figure out what is going on with my body and I am really scared to be honest. I am scared that I will keep staying at the same weight no matter what.

Can anyone give me advice?

Please.

Thank you.

Replies

• gomidas2007
    gomidas2007 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

First a few questions if you don't mind:
    1) What is your caloric intake per day?
    2) How are you spreading these out in terms of time between meals, calories per meal, etc.?

Don't be scared! Once you get into a good routine you will honestly be amazed at how quickly you lose weight! Then you'll probably be concerned that you are losing it too fast!
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Have you taken measurements? You may be losing inches and not pounds. Ignore the scale for now and focus on your calorie intake and exercise routine. Also if your diary was open, people could give you advice on your food choices.
  • khopkins516
    khopkins516 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hi There-

@gomidas2007 - My caloric intake per day is 1380. I am generally spreading them out pretty evenly between lunch and dinner, but I'm not eating as much at breakfast. Could that be my problem?

@discoveri - I have not taken measurements, should I do that?
  • FitnFabMichelle
    FitnFabMichelle Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and measuring everything? How much below your caloric intake are you going? Are you drinking water? Eating higher-sodium, processed foods?
  • wisfarmgirl
    Options
    Two things that have worked for me so far are drinking 8-10 glasses of water a day and not drinking diet soda. I do flavor my water with lemon. Also taking a herbal suppliment for thyroid health. Have you ever had your thyroid levels checked, or does anyone in your family have any thyroid conditions? Good luck and hang in there.
  • khopkins516
    Options
    I am drinking water, but I have not had my thyroid checked. My doctor has never said anything about it - is it something I should look into?
  • khopkins516
    Options
    I am going right below my caloric intake, usually within 100 calories.
  • RobinHayes7777
    RobinHayes7777 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I too am frustrated, however, don't have much more to loose, but like seeing a specific # on the scale. I have lost 2.5 jean sizes and all my clothes look so big on me yet the scale has not changed a lot. I've been doing this since end of March. I do know I look better then ever before and see muscles I've never seen before doing the 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels (Biggest Loser) SO cheap at Walmart and only takes up a TOTAL of 28 mins and kicks your butt! LOVE it and I HATE exercising!! I have also found that walking 4 MPH 5-6 days a week for at least 45 mins REALLY REALLY starts to move the scale! Good Luck!!
  • Jezebel_Barbie
    Jezebel_Barbie Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You're probably eating too few calories, or eating the wrong things. If you make your diary public people can advise better.

Also, you're only aiming to lose 15lbs. So that should be approx. 0.5lbs per week. The weight loss will seem slower because you don't have as much to lose.
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Hello Friends,
    I am so glad that I have a place to go to vent and ask for help. I feel like I don't know who else to turn to.

I have been using MFP for about three weeks now and tracking my food intake diligently. I have also been doing some exercise, but probably not enough.
    However, I have been staying under my calorie goal every day and I have not lost any weight at all.

I can't figure out what is going on with my body and I am really scared to be honest. I am scared that I will keep staying at the same weight no matter what.

Can anyone give me advice?

Please.

Thank you.

When are you weighing yourself and how often?
  • JoleneCooper
    JoleneCooper Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    #1 -- Take measurements. You will see a change in inches before pounds.
    #2 -- Make sure you're not under your calorie goal. Your goal is your goal to meet - not be under or exceed. You might be eating too few calories.

Good luck!!
  • cwag_afw
    cwag_afw Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It took me about a month before I started seeing any results on the scale. I was so discouraged and wanted to give up. I've finally lost 25 pounds (I still have 40 to go) and it has taken me 3 months!! It's been a slow process. Stick to it!! You WILL see results! Good luck!
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Just remember this... if your workouts don't outweigh your diet... you'll never lose. Check out the foods you are eating. No processed wheat or sugar, and definitely don't eat fast foods! :)) You'll hear that a lot, but most people on here can swear by it. Me too.. I'm working on reducing all processed foods. Good luck!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    What is your BMR?

What is your TDEE?

How many calories are you burning on exercise?

How often do you exercise?

What is your sodium intake?

How many glasses of water are you drinking per day?

Don't eat below your BMR. Don't eat above your TDEE. Don't create a calorie deficit greater than 1000 calories per day. Drink 8 glasses of water a day. Keep sodium intake low. Lift weights in addition to your cardio.
  • JanelleEathorne
    JanelleEathorne Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I suggest trying on a pair of jeans that used to not fit. If they zip up! Then you KNOW that you are doing something right!
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Definitely take measurements. Check out this post and you can see how the scale isn't always the best way to tell how your body is changing: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/580019-the-scale-is-a-lying-torture-device-i-m-proof?hl=scale+liar
  • gomidas2007
    gomidas2007 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi There-

@gomidas2007 - My caloric intake per day is 1380. I am generally spreading them out pretty evenly between lunch and dinner, but I'm not eating as much at breakfast. Could that be my problem?

I would recommend trying to spread this out over 5-6 meals instead of only 3. When you only eat 3 meals per day you metabolism has a chance to slow down in between meals. This is not good if you're trying to burn fat. You need to keep your metabolism fast throughout the whole day. The faster your metabolism is working the more fat and energy you will burn. Maintaining a high metabolism is imperative to losing weight and keeping it off.

Throw in some cardio for 20-30 minutes 3 times a week and you set!

Hope this helps! I would love to help you more if you would like! Send me a friend request or message any time =)
  • Rambo313
    Rambo313 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    perhaps if you open up your diary we can give more insight?

What are you doing for exercise?

How much water are your drinking?

Also what is your ultimate goal?
  • smithy85
    smithy85 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    A quote to live by: Eat like a King in the Morning - a prince a lunch and a pauper in the evening.
    Make sure you drink lots of water, keeping hydrated is vital and flushes you out!
    Exersice but make sure you are feeling you have done it.
    You need to cut sugar/fats but make sure you are eating enough, maybe you need to up your calories.
    Also get checked out with your GP if you are worried about any health issues.

x
  • cdprouty
    cdprouty Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Some suggestions:

1. Open up your diary so we can assess what you are eating and make further suggestions.

2. Like others have said, time to shift calories to the morning...or at least spread them more evenly from the time you wake up onward.

3. Let's kick up the cardio....30 - 40 minutes a day of moderate cardio.

4. As others have mentioned, it's less about the scale and more about how clothes fit...keep an eye on that.

Do this for 2 weeks and let's see where you are at...

Feel free to "friend" me if you'd like a little push and more accountability.

Chris