synthroid

Options
Does anyone else take synthroid? I hate having to wait an hour to eat anything after I have taken it in the morning. Does anyone else wait the hour or found that they do not have to wait an hour to eat? Normally I have to get out the door in the morning so end up not having time to eat breakfast in the morning.

Replies

• Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I take my synthroid as soon as I get up in the morning. By the time I make my lunch, shower and get ready for work it is almost an hour.

During the week I usually make a protein smoothie for breakfast and have it during my commute to work. I have been doing it for so long that it is just part of my routine.

Weekends are of course alot easier as I am not rushing out the door.

Karen
  • Frecklescc
    Options
    I take the generic form of it. I use to think I couldnt eat for an hour either but I no longer see the warning labels (maybe I should look harder). I wait at least a half an hour (wekends), I take it first thing in the morning before I even step in the shower, by the time I am done I eat.
    To be honest, I eat at work, I use a microwave and scramble 2 eggs and eat at my desk. By this time (getting ready, driving) it has been an hour or so during the weekdays. Good luck, you can always call your doctor and ask them what harm, if any, would occur if you didnt wait the hour.
  • SKHaz1
    SKHaz1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I don't usually wait an hour. I try to at least wait 30 minutes though. But I do take it as soon as I wake up and then shower, pack my lunch etc. like someone said. My levels have remained the same.
  • presleytitus
    presleytitus Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    For me waiting the hour seems to make little difference but I found that taking it with a full glass of water makes a big difference.
    During the week I take it as soon as I get up and by the time I get ready and to the office about 45 minutes have passed when I eat breakfast. When I don't take it with a full glass of water I don't feel as "energized" through out the day.
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I don't usually wake up hungry so its not an issue for me, the bigger trouble is taking it at the same time every day, since I have a funky schedule. But my Doc said to try. I don't know if its making a difference tho.
    I did try waking up early to work out and found I just had no energy to move, couldn't push myself without eating first, so that was disappointing but still not a big deal.
    It would be nicer if the synthroid was magical and actually fixed my thyroid levels, but I have hashimoto's and tend to fluctuate a lot. My doc wasn't too hopeful that I would be able to lose weight, and so far I haven't, but if I squint hard I see some definition in my upper abs under the fat that wasn't there before.
  • chrisluker
    Options
    My doctor gave me great advice and that is to keep my Synthroid in the bathroom. As soon as I get up, I take it. I then get a shower, get dressed, etc. By the time I get downstairs, an hour has passed. I then can safely eat. This has made a huge different in my weight loss. I was not taking it correctly before. I was taking it with other meds and also not waiting to eat. I am now down 42 pounds and going strong!!
  • pfwright1
    pfwright1 Posts: 31
    Options
    Per Synthoid's website:

How to Take Synthroid:
    Take your Synthroid once a day at the same time each day.
    Take Synthroid on an empty stomach. It's best to take it 30 to 60 minutes before eating breakfast. Some people find it helpful to take Synthroid first thing in the morning.
    Take Synthroid alone. Do not take Synthroid within 4 hours of ingesting medications, supplements, or foods that may interact with Synthroid. Antacids, iron, and calcium supplements, dietary fiber, soy, and even walnuts can affect your body's absorption of Synthroid. Talk to your doctor to learn more.

My doctor told me to wait 30 minutes before eating and that I could take my PPI rx with the Synthoid. I have a cup of water and my rx's on my nighstand and take my rx's when I first wake up and the proceed to get ready so most of the time 45 minutes has passed.

Good luck!!!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I take it and always wait the full hour. It made a big difference in my blood work. Until 8 months ago, I would drink coffee after about 20-30 minutes and then eat after an hour. I switched doctors and he said not to eat or drink anything but water for an hour. My dosage has decreased significantly.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Whoops! Guess I should have paid more attention to the label! Neither the doc or pharmacist ever instructed me on taking it. I have been taking it in the morning with iron and other supplements and without regard for breakfast time. Does anyone know why? Does food reduce the effectiveness? I am now within the normal range, btw.
  • ctmom1
    ctmom1 Posts: 189
    Options
    Since I normally eat dinner by 7pm and don't eat anything after that, I take my Syntheoid right before I go to sleep. Usually around 10:30. The first thing I do when I wake up is have a cup of coffee so I can't take it in the morning.
  • leeann0517
    leeann0517 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Per Synthoid's website:

How to Take Synthroid:
    Take your Synthroid once a day at the same time each day.
    Take Synthroid on an empty stomach. It's best to take it 30 to 60 minutes before eating breakfast. Some people find it helpful to take Synthroid first thing in the morning.
    Take Synthroid alone. Do not take Synthroid within 4 hours of ingesting medications, supplements, or foods that may interact with Synthroid. Antacids, iron, and calcium supplements, dietary fiber, soy, and even walnuts can affect your body's absorption of Synthroid. Talk to your doctor to learn more.

My doctor told me to wait 30 minutes before eating and that I could take my PPI rx with the Synthoid. I have a cup of water and my rx's on my nighstand and take my rx's when I first wake up and the proceed to get ready so most of the time 45 minutes has passed.

Good luck!!!

Interesting. I take mine at night before bed along with my birth control pill, vitamin D and vitamin B12.