Water weight?

Options
So i started July 6 on a low carb diet I try to stay around 30g a day. I keep my cals at about 1800. Me being who I am weight daily. I notice I hold fluid alot of days. I started at 376 lost 10 to 366 yesterday at 365 but today 367:( how can I keep the water rention to a min. I walk a mile and half a day with some running short distance. I do 30-45mins of p90x ... Am I doing the correct things any help would be awesome.

Replies

• korinastern
    Options
    completely cut out the salt that helps me and drink as much water as you can
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    keep an eye on your sodium intake and as counter productive as it seems, drink lots of water.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Don't bother.

What are your goals? Water Weight Loss or Fat Weight Loss?

Sounds to me you want to lose water weight, not fat weight.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    read your labels, there's lots of sodium in places you would never expect. everything packaged/processed are serious culprits.
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    keep an eye on your sodium intake and as counter productive as it seems, drink lots of water.

^^^ This is pretty much all there is to it! Also, after you work out, your muscles WILL hold water to help themselves heal. It's necessary, and you just have to wait it out. Also, don't weigh yourself every day or you'll drive yourself nuts with the little fluctuations! If you absolutely can't help it, at least make sure to do it at the same time every day under the same conditions (i.e. right after you wake up, after using the bathroom but before you eat)
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Don't bother.

I would think anyone would want to lose both. retaining water isn't healthy.
  • papate
    papate Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with ya. Water retention. and I know I am a salt-aholic, I need to cut down, if not eliminate completely, but that seems oh so hard. I've tried water pills and they were only short term releases, no real cure. Gotta be the salt. Good luck.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning too. Sure it swings up and down a few pounds but just keep track of the lows. I normally have to see the same weight 2 days in a row before I log it as a new low. That's just me personally. Weighing every day is better in my mind because if you only weigh once a week you might be hitting just your worst day and get discouraged. It's important to see the fluctuations and realize that it's perfectly normal.

If you're not stuck at the same weight for 2 weeks then don't worry about it. Keep doing what you're doing because it sounds great. Make sure and take some measurements. There were some weeks I didn't lose a pound but I would measure and see I was down an inch from my last check and feel good about the progress I was making. The tape measurements are really the most important thing. You want to fit in a certain size pair of pants and really you don't care what the weight happens to be at that time. The scale is just a good tool to use to check your daily/weekly progress and not the end-all of success. But yes, it should have a trend down to get that success.
  • ShakeyMD
    ShakeyMD Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Don't bother.

I would venture to guess that his question revolves more around "Is this something to be concerned with", not the fact that he doesn't want to lose fat weight. In any case...my suggestion is just to keep drinking more water. Remember that weight fluctuates each day as well, so don't stress too much over daily changes. I weigh myself once per week. I just started on MFP and plan to continue to weigh once per week. Also watch the sodium intake as someone else stated earlier.

Don't give up, keep doing what you are doing. Sounds like you are on the right path. :)
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Don't bother.

I would think anyone would want to lose both. retaining water isn't healthy.

O.o serious? Medically speaking most people are in a state of dehydration. Additionally, humans by nature, are MOSTLY water.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Go to your doctor if you retain a lot of water. Clear out any health reasons first. Deficiencies in protein, calcium, magnesium and vitamins B1, B5 and B6 may also lead to problems with water retention.

Keep a food diary to see what you are eating that may cause you to retain water. See if the foods you are eating are high in sodium....cut it out!

Maybe try some natural diuretics that will help the kidney's fluid output.

IMPORTANT: Drink LOTS of water - half your body weight in ounces per day.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I would suggest, if weighing daily gives you worries such as this or makes you question your progress, to refrain from using the scale every day. I totally get why you want to get on the scale. It is exciting to see progress and you want validation of your hard work. I am the same way. Although, I've had to put the scale away and limit myself to once a week.
  • Wpbarr
    Wpbarr Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Just skip the scale completely until (based on your stat) you shed about 12" off the waistline. Right now, that's the only meaningful measurement. Seriously, I know what I'm talking about from personal experience. The only measure of progress for me until I reach my target waist size is how consistently I have to shop for a downsized wardrobe.

You and I have much more serious problems than a fluctuation of 5lbs of water a day!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    O.o serious? Medically speaking most people are in a state of dehydration. Additionally, humans by nature, are MOSTLY water.

Water doesn't give you cellulite. :wink:

I can drink a gallon of water a day and weigh the same as the day before. Why can't I drink a gallon of chocolate milk too? Oh, probably because water has ZERO calories and does't contribute to your weight. Salt restrictions are over-rated too. Sure it can add a few pounds of water weight but if you're more 10 pounds over weight I doubt you'll notice the difference in cutting salt or not. I don't really give a flip about my salt intake. How many calories are in salt? This is simple math. Calories in - calories burned = your weight.

If your top 4 ab sections are showing and you're trying to get the bottom piece to pop then sure, cut the salt. Otherwise you have 99 problems but salt isn't one of them.
  • blandwriter
    blandwriter Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    30 carb grams a day? And only 1,800 calories, for a dude? Wow. Just an educated guess, but your body is fighting to hold on to what it has.

On doctor's orders I do a modified South Beach plan that is not "low carb" but lower carb where I aim for about 125 to 150 grams of carbs each day. But it's not just about that. I look at the quality of carbs that I do eat (fruits that are lower glycemic index, like blackberries, but I don't nitpick too much) AND I try to eat a lot of good quality protein as well.

Recommended reading from the New York Times as well: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/10/health/nutrition/q-and-a-are-high-protein-low-carb-diets-effective.html?ref=ginakolata.
  • yokurio
    yokurio Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem brother. I track constantly. Track your sodium levels and keep them the same everyday. The more sodium you have one day compared to another, the more your weight will fluctuate while you are losing weight. Another thing is that your body will retain if you are sore from a workout and what not. Your muscle will retain water to protect itself. So you have to be mindful and not get frustrated. Your body will expel the excess water once its done using it.
  • btaylor1184
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments. Yes Wpbarr I have more issues than 5lbs of water every day. But I dont use alot of sodium so I was just making sure this is normal. Yes I am WANTING TO LOSE FAT WEIGHT. If I didnt I wouldnt put my self in a good hurt every single morning during p90x I have lofty goals and so I just check daily to keep my self encouraged. I am sure some of you know where I am coming from. :)
  • btaylor1184
    Options
    Awesome... your ticker is sure helpful to look at lost 50lbs thats great!
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I gain water weight every time I have pizza. Something about the sponge like quality of bread and the sodium content. It goes away in a few days though... I have never been able to out exercise a bad diet...