Talk to me about HRM's

Options
Can anyone offer some suggestions or reviews? What HRM do you have and do you love it? If so, why? Any negatives? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    polar FT7 from Amazon.com

good overall HRM and best prices are at Amazon
  • hrtotten
    hrtotten Posts: 26
    Options
    I love my fitbit - it tracks my calories throughout the entire day and can link up with my fitness pal so that I know exactly what my deficit is. I have been able to learn that on a day where I don't work out I burn overall about 1900 and on a day that I do, it's more like 2200. That has really helped me stick to my calories!
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar ft7, I love it but it has some features that I don't really use so if I were to buy another I'd go for the Polar ft4 and save a little bit of money!
  • amyowens08
    amyowens08 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT4. I just wanted to know how much I burn in a workout. It's waterproof in case I ever wanted to go swimming with it.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I'm using a Polar FT4. It was reasonably priced, easy to use, and everyone swears Polar has great accuracy. The pamphlet also claims it can be used while swimming too, as long as you don't press any of the buttons on the watch while you're in the water.
  • imcatbear
    imcatbear Posts: 38
    Options
    Another fan of Polar products. Mine has a chest strap vs an armband/strap.
  • amyowens08
    amyowens08 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit - it tracks my calories throughout the entire day and can link up with my fitness pal so that I know exactly what my deficit is. I have been able to learn that on a day where I don't work out I burn overall about 1900 and on a day that I do, it's more like 2200. That has really helped me stick to my calories!
    FitBit is excellent for tracking your daily calories burned while doing regular activities, but it's not a Heart Rate Monitor. I have a FitBit I wear all day, but my workouts I wear my heart rate monitor.
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Polar F6. Just make sure you get one with a chest strap; they are the most accurate.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7... bought at heartratemonitorsusa.com
  • reallyally1
    Options
    I have the NewBalance N4 Pearl; it's designed specifically for women. I absolutely LOVE it; I wish I had gotten one sooner. I don't even feel the chest strap when I'm working out.

EDIT - you can get it for $50 and free shipping here: http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/New-Balance-N4-Pearl-Heart-Rate-Monitor/6580246/product.html
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I use an FT4 to log anything that gets my HR over 120. I compliment that with a FitBit.
  • b417adriana
    b417adriana Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    FT4, works fantastic!
  • gr8grl68
    gr8grl68 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I also have a Polar FT7 and love it. I got mine at Amazon as well. . . .(they make them for men and women, not unisex) and found they had the best prices.

You personalize it for you (put in your personal stats), it can be a watch when not using for exercise, keeps records of your past workouts and will store numberous records so you can go back and look at history. I think if you are looking for accuracy while exercising Polar HRMs are a good bet.

Note--I tried a cheap Timex and got off the wall readings--not worth the $45 I sepnt on it.

Now I would also love to try the fitbit to get an overall picture of what my body does all day long, including how well I'm sleeping--that may be my next present to myself. . . . :)
  • ValRAAAAY
    ValRAAAAY Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Just ordered a Polar FT4 from bodytronics.com. Use coupon code POPO when you check out, and you can get it for under $60! I can't wait to try it out!
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    "Note--I tried a cheap Timex and got off the wall readings--not worth the $45 I sepnt on it. "

I agree with what this person said. I tried a Timex first as well -- was worthless.

Over all I love my FT4 -- I've had it over a year and only just now am needing to change the batteries I'm thinking (and I use it at least 5 days a week).

I don't remember the price but it wasn't horrible.
  • callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Polar FT60 and I love it to pieces. Got it from Amazon while they were running a deal (think it was like $100 bucks off the normal price). My next gift to myself will be the waterproof chest strap. I have worn mine in the pool and have had no problems with it, but I need the upgraded chest strap in order for it to do more other than give me the time.
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    The FT4 and FT7 are very popular choices. I was using the FT7 for a while and then found a Bluetooth HRM from Zephyr Technologies. I use this as my primary now only because there is plenty of supported Apps for your phone that can record, track your HR stats as well as other data like map data of your workout, speed, altitude and other. Keep in ind though other than HR , cadence (This are recorded by the app not the HRM. )

http://www.zephyr-technology.com/consumer-hxm
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    polar FT7 from Amazon.com

good overall HRM and best prices are at Amazon

This.

I spent a week doing research on it because it wasn't a small investment and I always came back to the FT7. It does everything I need it to and some other stuff I don't.
  • Tricialew32
    Tricialew32 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Polar FT1
    Overall accurate, inexpensive but VERY basic.
    I don't love it but I can't hate it for being what it is.
    If I would have known how much I would use it, I would have spent a little more for the FT4 or something a little better.