OMG Ya'll. Still not Losing.

Options
So I've been doing MFP for a little over 3 weeks. I've been doing pretty well. Getting my workouts in, and staying under my calorie intake. The first week, I lost 2 pounds. And I thought that was great! But then I decided I'd like to lose 1.5 pounds (recommended by MFP) so I lowered my calories. Now I'm not losing ANYTHING! I think I went over on my cals one day, but that was it! So, now I'm wondering if I'm not eating enough/too much. My BMR is 2300 and I'm eating about 1590, if not less. Anything would be a great help :D

Replies

• cpettigrew
    cpettigrew Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Looked at your diary. Try drinking more water. Aim for 64 oz/day, and see what happens from there.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I think you mean your TDEE is 2300 (Total Daily Expenditure). BMR is the number of calories needed to run your organs and keep you alive. You can find your BMR using the tools on this site.

I suggest you find your BMR and remember to make that your MINIMUM calorie intake. Your TDEE is your MAXIMUM calorie intake.

You need a deficit of 500 calories a day for 1 pound of weight loss in a week. 750 calorie deficit for the 1.5 pound a week you are looking for. If this deficit cannot be made through diet alone (meaning TDEE is not 750+ more than BMR), you will need to add exercise daily to up the expenditure.

Also, remember, water weight is just fine, some weeks maybe you weigh more in WATER (this will not show up on appearance). You're after FAT loss more so than WEIGHT loss right? :)
  • Angebartle
    Angebartle Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Just took a quick look at your food intake. I think trying breakfast will help. I see you usually only drink coffee and your first meal isn't until lunch. Also try for a snack mid morning an apple or some crackers and low fat cheese.

Add me as a friend if you like. I as well am having trouble and any advice would help!
  • AlliH621
    AlliH621 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    DanaDoss - your information was helpful for me too. I've been taking in 1200 calories for 3 weeks now also, exercising at LEAST 3 times a week for about 6 weeks now, but didn't start really changing my calories until about 3 weeks ago. Anyways, the scale showed a loss of 5 lbs on 7/12, but nothing since then. I know it hasn't even been a week, but I'm so anxious to see another lower number on that scale!

I'm going to figure out my BMR and TDEE - these are new terms for me.

Thanks!
  • AlliH621
    Options
    Sorry DanaDark - spelt your name wrong.

Anyways, I just calculated my BMR and it said 1,587. But I want to try and lose 2 pounds a week. So is 1200 calories still ok for me?
  • DanaDark
    Options
    DanaDoss - your information was helpful for me too. I've been taking in 1200 calories for 3 weeks now also, exercising at LEAST 3 times a week for about 6 weeks now, but didn't start really changing my calories until about 3 weeks ago. Anyways, the scale showed a loss of 5 lbs on 7/12, but nothing since then. I know it hasn't even been a week, but I'm so anxious to see another lower number on that scale!

I'm going to figure out my BMR and TDEE - these are new terms for me.

Thanks!

I am glad my information has been helpful. I have spent almost a decade looking over tons and tons of information (Several nutrition classes, Pre-Nursing in college, independent study as well), and never seemed to find the answer. Everywhere I went had conflicting information and some things seemed true and others not.

I think, recently, I stumbled across the key through a combination of intuition, previous research, and information gathered from many people on these very forums.

Turns out, all these YEARS of me having significantly reduced calories was NOT the answer to weight loss. Years I ate under my BMR (party days going over tho lol), and doing cardio all the time... that lead me to "skinny fat".

My hope though, is that information I give to people is correct and works for them. I want everyone to get their idealized body on here! I am getting a bit scared though, was hoping that somebody would stumble across my advice and be like "Whoa Dana, you messed up on ___ or ___" but instead all I am getting is positive feedback... lol.
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options
    It takes your body at LEAST a few weeks to adjust to a new routine. So if you're doing workouts you haven't done before, and eating differently, you may be retaining water (particularly in your muscles if you're doing anything that's helping strengthen them).

In all honesty, that first two pounds in the first week was probably water weight. Now you're still potentially losing fat, but if you're retaining water it'll make up the difference.

Try taking your measurements regularly rather than weighing yourself. Measurements often tell a more accurate story about your progress.
  • mrsjazzyfaith
    Options
    Jaimi, when you go under your calorie intake your body goes into starvation mode and your body will store fat so you can function. I hope that everything goes well and also remember that fat will turn to muscle and muscle is heavier. Stay positive doll. You are doing great.
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options

Anyways, I just calculated my BMR and it said 1,587. But I want to try and lose 2 pounds a week. So is 1200 calories still ok for me?

No--your BMR is the minimum it takes to keep your body functioning. You should try never to go below BMR.

Your TDEE is the total amount required to cover BMR plus your daily activities. THAT's what you want to eat below.
  • DanaDark
    Options

No--your BMR is the minimum it takes to keep your body functioning. You should try never to go below BMR.

Your TDEE is the total amount required to cover BMR plus your daily activities. THAT's what you want to eat below.

This. DO NOT eat below BMR. You'll just feel crappy and tired and eventually will lead to bad things.

TDEE is your daily life in calories. BMR is whats needed to keep the organs chugging along. Give at least enough food to keep your liver, kidneys, heart etc properly functioning. If your BMR is 1587, I suggest eating at least 1600 calories a day. To create the deficit, use cardio. To keep muscle from being degraded, lift weights. Try not to create a deficit of more than 1000 calories a day.
  • AlliH621
    Options
    Ok, thanks guys! I'll increase with some healthy food too! :)

So just to clarify though, does my NET calorie intake need to be 1600 (after I include working out) or can I eat 1600 calories, but exercise and burn 400, with a NET calorie intake of 1200.
  • pitlvr2x
    pitlvr2x Posts: 17
    Options
    ok, so I think my calories were too low, so I updated it...seems like so much to consume but I am going to trust that's why I haven't been able to lose (starving myself but not intentionally) old habits die hard... hang in there,you will figure out what's right for you
  • DanaDark
    Options
    Ok, thanks guys! I'll increase with some healthy food too! :)

So just to clarify though, does my NET calorie intake need to be 1600 (after I include working out) or can I eat 1600 calories, but exercise and burn 400, with a NET calorie intake of 1200.

I would suggest you set your goals manually. In doing so, get your TDEE and set that as your goal. So long as you are UNDER that, you'll lose weight. What I personally do is I have my goal set at 1600. My BMR is about 1500 and my TDEE is about 1900. So, if I eat my goal, I am OVER my BMR, and have a 300 calorie deficit. With that, since I want 1lb a week, I need to spend 200 extra calories a day, so I have added an hour long walk every day.

The NET calories thing only really matters if you have allowed MFP to set your goals for you.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    The 'do not eat below your BMR' myth will never die. There isn't a managed diet plan or authority in the world who gives that advice. If YOU feel better at some level above it, that's great. But there is absolutely nothing dangerous about eating under your BMR when you have body fat to reduce.

You lost weight the first week and not the second, right? That's 100% normal. That short of a period, the fat loss is too small to tease out of all the other noise that goes into your weight (water mainly).

Dana- Have you met helloitsdan? He too thinks he's stumbled upon the key. Maybe you two can get together and inform the weight loss and medical industries about this key that they've all missed.
  • DanaDark
    Options
    ok, so I think my calories were too low, so I updated it...seems like so much to consume but I am going to trust that's why I haven't been able to lose (starving myself but not intentionally) old habits die hard... hang in there,you will figure out what's right for you

That's exactly what I have done for a long time. Basically when we go below BMR, our body starts giving less and less calories and nutrients to our organs, this is why our metabolism "slows" and it is also why anorexic people eventually die (they die of massive organ failure).

By upping our calories, what will happen is our body will store the extra as fat for a bit (thinking we're gonna turn right around and starve it again), but after a while, it will realize we're taking care of business. From there, it'll increase what it gives to our organs (thus boosting the metabolism) and will start burning like normal.

Upon realizing this, I noted it is hard for me to get at least my BMR unless I actively go for foods I have been avoiding for years, or suddenly somehow get a huge apatite (which I will try to get via moving around more).
  • DanaDark
    Options
    The 'do not eat below your BMR' myth will never die. There isn't a managed diet plan or authority in the world who gives that advice. If YOU feel better at some level above it, that's great. But there is absolutely nothing dangerous about eating under your BMR when you have body fat to reduce.

You lost weight the first week and not the second, right? That's 100% normal. That short of a period, the fat loss is too small to tease out of all the other noise that goes into your weight (water mainly).

Dana- Have you met helloitsdan? He too thinks he's stumbled upon the key. Maybe you two can get together and inform the weight loss and medical industries about this key that they've all missed.

Actually, medically speaking it is not good to eat below your BMR. If you can find me a study that proves it is a good idea to eat 500 calories a day for a year, I'll GLADLY read it. By your very logic alone, anorexia doesn't exist.

I have never met a single medical doctor or nutritionist that would suggest a person literally stop eating until they were their goal weight.
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Go back to what you were eating calorie wise when you started...you could be in "starvation mode" which will eventually end up causing you to gain weight...happened to me. Search for a group called Eat More to Weight Less. It's filled with fantastic info...
  • silversnake84
    silversnake84 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Like most have said, eat breakfast!! It's the most important meal of the day and this is coming from someone who spent over a decade never eating anything in the morning, now I can't go without it. You'll be surprised how hungry you are once you start eating.

Going from a lot calories to drastically less isn't going to do much good, the goal is to change your lifestyle and eating habits. Eat 250 calories less and exercise for 250 calories and you will see results. If you change too rapidly, your body won't adapt and will go into "starvation" mode and you will gain weight.
  • Mattdemon
    Mattdemon Posts: 79
    Options
    She needs to know what to do, not "you're doing fine, babe it's normal".

Here is a pretty obvious thing no one has mentioned yet. Your carb intake, it's very high. I'm not completely sure how MFP comes up with the gram amounts but if you're just looking at losing weight at this point you should keep your daily carb intake around 100g. You can do this by cutting out carbs in your dinner and watching out for them overall.

There is two sources of energy your body likes to use as fuel, carb and fat, and your body likes to run on one at a time. It will prioritize the carb source and when that depletes it will move onto burning the fat for energy. Keep those carbs lower if you're not doing a lot of heavy exercise and watch your body naturally move onto using your fat stores.

Another person mentioned drink more water too, that would be great.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options

Actually, medically speaking it is not good to eat below your BMR. If you can find me a study that proves it is a good idea to eat 500 calories a day for a year, I'll GLADLY read it. By your very logic alone, anorexia doesn't exist.

I have never met a single medical doctor or nutritionist that would suggest a person literally stop eating until they were their goal weight.

I didn't say "eat 500" or "eat nothing". I said BMR is meaningless in this context. I've been beating this horse here for 8 weeks and not one person can come up with one recommendation from any (non-forum) person to 'not eat below your BMR'. Because it's not something authorities say. They say 'don't eat below 1200 calories' and/or 'don't aim to lose more than 2 lbs/week'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpAvFsIUxvY