A Fiber Mission - Help!

Options
I've been challenged to eat 40grams of fiber a day via "Younger Next Year" author and MD, Dr. Henry Loge. I don't know if that is realistic or not but am willing to start checking it out. Besides whole grains, how do you all get loads of healthy fiber in your daily diets? What are the most fiberous fruits and veggies?

-Debra

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I rarely get 40, but I'm almost always in the mid 30s. Biggest sources for me:

beans
    nut butters and nuts
    chia seeds
    flax seeds
    oats
    whole grain bread
    avocado
    sweet and white potatoes (with skin!)
    apples
  • macylbrock
    Options
    Berries! Sometimes I will have a big bowl of berries for dessert and that will be the biggest chunk of fiber for the day! I also take a fiber supplement. Lots of veggies and beans
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    In the last 90 days, I've had more than 40 grams of fiber on a grand total of 3 days. When I look at the food diary for those three days, they have one thing in common: pinto beans.

One of the days also has an entry with a suspiciously large fiber number for strawberries.
    Del Monte - Fresh Strawberries, 1 cup , 46 calories, fiber 8 g

Compare with
    Dole - Fresh Whole Strawberries, 1 cup, 45 calories, fiber 3 g
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Split peas, lentils, almonds are all very good and easy to add into your meal plans.
  • LastSixtySix
    LastSixtySix Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    All excellent ideas - thanks thanks thanks. And to think that this morning I had steel cut oatmeal with no berries!! THAT won't happen again. :laugh:

-Debra
  • SlimSammy2012
    Options
    Stupid Question....Would a fiber Supplement help out?
  • raggyanndoll
    raggyanndoll Posts: 176
    Options
    Although they do not fit in everyone's diet, I am hooked on Fiber One bars and cereal. I get WAY more fiber than the set amount in MFP each day. I eat fruits and veggies too for fiber. I do a lower carb diet (not low carb) so I usually have more protein than MFP sets and less carbs. This works for me as I do not get the insatiable cravings for carbs as much. But the fiber bars and cereals are a big staple in my diet. Fiber is amazingly filling.

By the way, I've tried the Fiber Plus bars too--didn't like them as well as Fiber One even though the box brags that they taste better than Fiber One. Fiber One is better in my opinion.

A warning--when you first up your fiber intake, your bowels will complain a bit. It took me about a month before my body got used to it. But I'll never go back now because fiber is so filling.
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Black beans, baby...

In a pot, put some finely chopped onions, red peppers and celery in with some olive oil. Heat it up. Throw in either a light beer (not kidding) or water if you don't want to use beer. Bring it to a simmer. Add salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, garlic powder, allspice, pinch of organic sugar. Add a couple cans of drained and rinsed black beans. Cook it down. Get crazy and throw in a can of corn (drained) if you like. Throw in a little ranch seasoning powder packet, some lime juice and taco seasoning.

Then, eat that fiber and say YUM! :)
  • YoungerNextYear59937
    YoungerNextYear59937 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Shredded Wheat!
  • LastSixtySix
    LastSixtySix Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    @RaggedyAnnDoll - I too have to eat lower carbs (not low) in order to actually lose weight my metabolism is so screwy. I was afraid that the Fiber One Bars you recommend would be full of soy protein isolate which last month I found I'm severly allergic too (bummer too because the soy can be flavored any way and I didn't feel like my taster was missing anything). The Fiber One Bars don't have soy protein isolate but the soy lecithin is pretty high up on the ingredient list for my comfort. Even more alarming to that for me is the use of the corn syrup and other sugars. My tongue likes sugar but my body reacts by severe inflammation so I've nearly cut the stuff out of my diet. I wish it could have worked but, alas, thanks but no thanks!

@SlimSammy - No question is stupid....unless maybe it's a political question LOL. Fiber supplements believe it or not only provide the least nutritious form of fiber and only add about 1 gram. It's ridiculous and penny for pound very expensive. For me anyway.

As for the rest of the ideas, I'm going shopping today and may have tons of questions. Right now, the whole idea of buying chia seeds to eat instead of to grow into a chia pet, blows my mind! Meantime, starting tomorrow I'm gonna try to at least get my fiber above 30g each day. We'll see!

-Debra