CrossFit

Options
Anyone currently doing CrossFit or have any experience with it? We have a few CrossFit gym's poping up in our area and have been thinking about joining?

Jared

Replies

• jmcross1980
    Options
    Bump
  • jell52
    jell52 Posts: 15
    Options
    I have been doing CrossFit for about a year and LOVE it!!! Not only is it a great workout but from my experience the community of people is amazing. I have never done any type of workout and felt so supported by so many at the same time.
  • johnpangan
    johnpangan Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Crossfit is awesome. Not only it combines strength and conditioning but its also fun. One of the hardest workout is called, "Linda".
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Just watched the Crossfit games yesterday on ESPN 3 and it was amazing! So motivating.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Yeah, i saw them on television too and it was making me think I should do it. There's Crossfit gyms opening around by me too.
  • megmcgee21
    Options
    We have one here and we have free saturdays to come out and try it out, talk and find more info about it. I went, its great! I plan on doing it after I lose this weight and hope for it to keep me active and toned up. :) It's for sure worth a try!!
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    There are two types of Crossfit out there. One you do on your own by following their website WOD's (workout of the day). The other is to go to a Crossfit gym or meet up with a Crossfit group. I have done both and I strongly suggest the later. It is amazing how much more you can do with people cheering you on and how much more fun it is doing it.
  • mhopeg
    mhopeg Posts: 1
    Options
    I finally got brave enough to try Crossfit this week. The instructors at my CF box are great, really supportive, and are working on making sure I get basic skills and form down and get my cardio up before they start me on the timed WODs.

Like David Guinn said, it's great to have the whole group cheering you on, instead of exercise being more of a "me against the world" kind of activity.
  • jmcross1980
    Options
    Thanks everyone for responding. I think my wife and I are going to join in the next couple weeks.
  • tenas
    tenas Posts: 121
    Options
    I'm in my 3rd week doing CrossFit. The trainers I've worked with have all been great and every exercise can be modified so even someone like me who is morbidly obese and has a long ways to go can do the workouts safely and effectively.
  • jmcross1980
    Options
    Tenas, Thanks for the info! I'm currently right where I want to be as far as weight, just want to push my fitness to another level.
  • lkoncar
    lkoncar Posts: 6
    Options
    I've been doing CrossFit for 7 months. It is THE BEST THING I have ever done for myself. The best.

I'm a 44 year old female who started running about 2 years ago after being sedentary for pretty much my entire life. I had to stop running a year ago because I started having knee problems. I was close to being in the worse shape of my life when we started CrossFit and now I'm proud to say I am in the best shape of my life!

Not only have I lost inches and weight, I've gained an amazing amount of muscle. I was at a regularly scheduled dr. apt last week and the Dr. told me I had the heartbeat of a highly trained athlete - I about fell off the table when I heard that!

When people ask me about CrossFit, I tell them if I can do it, anyone can do it. Seriously.

The CrossFit community is amazing - so supportive. I find myself doing things in CrossFit workouts that I never thought in a million years I'd be able to do.

I'm a believer!
  • clee369
    clee369 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Just make sure that your crossfit gym emphasizes form over speed. Too many times have I read, seen, or heard about people getting hurt because of their trainers pushing them too hard in crossfit. Not to say that you shouldn't push yourself, but make sure that your gym recognizes this importance. Do your research on the trainers working there.
  • TOPSrainee
    TOPSrainee Posts: 47
    Options
    There's a CrossFit gym that just opened up near me, within walking distance. I checked out their website, and it looks hard! I am obese and have been mostly sedentary, so I'm way out of shape. Would they really be able to modify the exercises so even I could do it?
  • konamouse
    konamouse Posts: 21
    Options
    That's the beauty of Crossfit; and an affiliate that has well trained coaching staff.
    Universal scalability. Every movement can be modified. Onramp classes teach you the movements and allow the staff to get to know your strengths, weaknesses, and adjustments. Combination of weight lifting, gymnastics, endurance/cardio helped me to build muscle, strengthen my core, burn fat while sleeping, and visible tummy muscles for the first time in my life (and NOT from doing situps). Still carry plenty of subcutaneous fat stores in my legs. Where I started to lose my weight was topside (lost my boobs). It's all genetics where you gain & where you lose.

I'm a stickler on my form. At my age (almost 50) I have to be careful. Have a couple of previous injuries and spinal stenosis (blame my dad's genes). Been doing CF for 3 years. Love the challenges, love our gym (we call them boxes) community, and I thrive on teh competition (you don't have to compete to do CF). We offer a yoga/gymnastics class, crossfit kids twice a week, olympic lifting (snatch & clean/jerk), and women only workout twice a week. It can be considered expensive, but going 4 x week for me = $10/class for personal training.

I did the CF Games Open this year. Watched the 2012 CF Games online (they were just last weekend). Will be doing the Masters' Chipper workout tomorrow at open gym. Then I'll compare my time to those ladies who were in the games. That's what motivates me to keep working. www.games.crossfit.com for archived footage from this year's competitions.

Some folks are pushy about it being the "best" fitness. But CF is not for everyone. My husband doesn't like it. Some folks are intimidated by barbells and pullups. Not everyone has a competative nature, they don't care how heavy of weight they can lift or how fast they can row 500m. However, if you like it, go for it.

kona
    Registered Dietitian, Crossfit Masters
  • jmcross1980
    Options
    My wife and I just joined Crossfit Bond and we start this Monday. We have to go through 2 weeks of a class called Elements to teach us proper technique and form. I'm super pumped about it. I've competed most of my life and for the last 2 years I've not be able to do that. Can't wait for a new challenge.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    There's a CrossFit group on here and also several CrossFit threads already started. Glad to see the gym you are joining has an on ramp class, that's usually a sign of a well run and knowledgeable coaching staff.

Good luck!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    My good friend is a CrossFit level 1 instructor. She's amazing!! I've watched her progress, and if you're into hard core training, this could be for you. I'm too big of wimp and my schedule doesn't allow, otherwise I might be tempted.
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    There's a CrossFit gym that just opened up near me, within walking distance. I checked out their website, and it looks hard! I am obese and have been mostly sedentary, so I'm way out of shape. Would they really be able to modify the exercises so even I could do it?

I just joined a gym that is also a Crossfit affiliate. They have Crossfit wod every day of the week. We were doing our workout in the area and the guy who teaches the crossfit class came up to us. He commented on my form (deadlift) and helped hubby fix his (hahahaha). He also invited us to his class. He said he would help us learn proper technique and also adjust whatever I may need to keep up. I'm still 300 lbs but he said I should come! I took this as he thinks I could do it!

We're considering the class but it's 7am in the morning (ugh I hate mornings) and school is starting soon so it could be out of the question.
  • Kluiver
    Kluiver Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I did CrossFit when I began working out and dieting at the beginning of this year. I did it at least once a week for four months. Haven't been back because I was out of the country for two months and my gym is offering an Olympic weightlifting course that I might pursue instead. But, the CrossFit I attended gave me 10 one on one sessions that really got me on track. Those 10 session alone were worth the price. See if the CrossFit nearest to you offers this. The WODs are hard and it's going to hurt, but if you're looking for a HIIT program, really look into CrossFit.