Half Marathon possible?

Options
Okay! So there is a Half Marathon at the end of September by my college city so I was hoping maybe I could participate. Currently I can run 6.2 miles. (Haven't tried any farther, but I'm pretty tired) What's the best advice on how to prepare for this run? Would really like to prove to all the people that I can do this. I have really no support from any of my friends and every time I bring up "running topics" they tell me to shut up. Just want to prove to myself that there's hope still left for me. I've been overweight my whole life and running is starting to give me my life back. Any advice would be appreciated!

Also I do run about 3-4 miles 5-6 times a week as I am still trying to lose weight but I'm just worried about the big jump from my lil numbers to 13! Seems a bit crazy when I think about it.

Replies

• secondchance82
    Options
    I trained for my first in 28 days (I did a full 26.2 though and I ramped up to 7 miles at one time all the way to 20 miles during training). It's possible, but I wouldn't advise it...I ended up not listening to advice and wasn't able to run for 5 months due to a post marathon injury. I think you CAN do a half this year...maybe wait and see if there is something maybe in November to give yourself that extra time to train smarter?
  • Foodie711711
    Foodie711711 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hi There! Normally people do train for months to be ready for a half marathon. However, if you already can run a 10k you should be okay if you begin training now for a september race. And in my practice you only really need to train for 10-11 miles and you'll survive. One training program is Hal Higeons or however you spell it. Dont let others get you down. If you set your mind to it you can do it! Good luck!
  • blondy1216
    blondy1216 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you're already at 6.2 miles you can definetly run a half marathon by end of September. I use this webiste for training programs:

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51130/Half-Marathon-Training-Guide

I would just work backwards from the half marathon to see where you are in the training program and go from there for the next 9 weeks or so! Good luck!
  • kerricolby
    kerricolby Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    U can totally do it!! I agree follow a program like Hal Higdon's. Your friends sound like jerks!! Maybe you can find a running club near you and hook up with other runners for a weekly run to keep you motivated.
  • smurfette75
    smurfette75 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Look into Hal Higdon's training online. I'm running my 1st half at the end of September. My longest run is also a 10k. It's a 12 week program, but you can alter to fit your schedule.
  • mdedmonds
    mdedmonds Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My first advice is to get new friends! I/m only half kidding. You need people around you who will support what you are doing. Losing weight and exercising regularly are hard enough without the negative pressure coming from other people.

I've never run a half marathon but several people who have tell me that if you can run a 10k (which you are doing) you can run a half marathon. Just sign up for one and then follow a good training program. You are closer than you think!

Congratulations on setting and achieving your goals!
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I'll add my vote for Hal Higdon's program. You are way ahead of the game. In the 9 or 10 weeks, you can certainly get ready for a half.
    You could also look at Jeff Galloway's run/walk program. There are people that have qualified for Boston using that.
  • leona75
    leona75 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am currently training for my first half as well!! Mine is in October....totally do-able!! Good luck xoxo
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    i say if you can go over 6M already, you can do this! my advice is to go and work on it 6 days a week. One rest day. IMO it doesn't matter abt how long you go each day, but the consistency and getting your body used to doing it on a daily basis. This builds your strength... dont forget, you dont HAVE to RUN the whole thing. Do interval training and you will be more successful! The day of the race, push it with all you got and give it your best shot. Most 1/2's dont have a time limit so who cares right?
  • 14left
    14left Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY!!!! A 1/2 marathon is very possible, and I'm sure you'll do great. The Hal Higdon training plan is good to follow. I have always used it as a guide and kind of modified it to suit my training time and goals. If you average in increase of 1-2 miles every week for a long run, you will be fine. Be sure to practice with fuel and fluids during your long run days. I also recommend making your final long run be 2 weeks before the race. Good Luck!
  • gowen48
    gowen48 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    JeffGalloway.com Has a good training program and lots of other information to help. I'm training for a half marathon in December and this has helped me go farther than I ever thought I could go.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    You can do it!! I am training for a half marathon at the end of September with 2 10ks under my belt! I got a few training plans from some people on here and altered them to fit my schedule!! :)

Go for it!!! :)
  • grubester
    grubester Posts: 8
    Options
    The one thing you haven't mentioned is how many times you are currently running. I know you are doing a 10k now, but is that running only one time per week, or 3-4 times per week. Distance is a good measure, but frequency is pretty important too. If you are running 1-2 times per week, you might be pushing it too much to get it in by September. Overuse injuries are pretty common with folks starting a program like Hal's. As someone who has dealt with overuse injuries before (triathlon), my advice is take it slow. Otherwise you might find yourself sidelined for a month to 6 weeks with turf toe, have to start over running only a mile or two, and potentially miss your goal of a half this year.

Taking it slow isn't much fun, but it'll get you a better result in the end. Just like losing weight, getting there fast isn't the goal. It's way more sustainable to take a slower approach.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    So let me start with my opinion: running is something that people do once they are fit, not to get fit. Noone told me this when I was younger, and I always wanted to run...and couldnt figure out why it was so painful at 240 pounds. Then I started just walking...and circuit training. One day at 190ish I decided to try to jog. It sucked still. I did what I called fire hydrant intervals. Running from one hydrant to another, then walking the same distance. When I got to 6 hydrants, I tried for a mile. I did 2 miles. I am presently 185ish, and I can go for about 5 miles before I need to stop. Meanwhile, I am lifting heavy and doing some circuit training and intervals to try to drop more weight. My goal is 165.( I am very muscular, and think anyweight lower than this will be ridiculous to maintain.)

Ok, so do I think it is possible for you to do this run by Sept? Two months is time enough, but you are going to have to train hard. If you can already run half the distance, you are that much closer to your goal. What I have read says to interval train a couple days a week and go on one longer run a week. Give yourself a day to recover after your long run. If it takes you 1.5 hours to run 6.2 miles, try to run for 1.75 hours at that pace. If you can't, slow your pace and try to run longer. I think you can do it. Add more time to your run each week. If 15 minutes to too much, try for 5 or 10. You're gong to want to be able to run for at least 3 hours. And remember, if it's your first half marathon, there is no set rule that says you have to run the whole thing. You can walk alittle and then run somemore.
    GOOD LUCK!:drinker:
  • mamacita721
    mamacita721 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I am in my first week of the Hal Higdon novice 2 plan for a half marathon on 10/6. If you can run 6 miles, you can totally be ready by the end of september if you stay consistant. I run T/W/Th/Sat with my Saturday runs starting at 4 miles and increasing each week until I get to 12. Like you my longest distance to date has been 10K. I am slightly nervous and totally psyched.

You CAN do this!!!
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I, too, am using Hal Higdon's half marathon training plan, and am looking to run my first half at the end of October. I feel confident that I'll be ready, even though my longest run so far has only been 4 miles. Once I get to 10k, I'll feel VERY confident, lol. Good luck!
  • njfitnessgirl
    Options
    I'm also following Hal Higdon's half marathon training. I'm on week 3 now and my half is the middle of September. I ran a 10 mile race back in May without a problem. I just need to get my mileage back up there.

If you're running 6 miles now you'll have no problem doing a half at the end of September. Good luck and feel free to friend me for motivation.