Relocating to JAX

Options
Hi,

First, this is a throwaway i set up to disguise myself from my friends/family on here as I'm not ready to disclose this information to them yet.

My husband has been offered a job in Jacksonville, FL with a company he's already working for as a contractor. It's a great career move for him. We are seriously considering the offer, but it involves relocation for us and our 2 young sons (18 mo and 3.5). We did a similar relocation 5 years ago to NYC (we now live in Central NJ), but it was just the two of us then.

It's a little daunting to try to figure out a new city from so far away so I've been googiling and Zillow-ing a lot. It seems like the best options for living are in the SE part of the area. Is this accurate? That would work in our favor as that is where my hubby's office would be. Any tips for families in this area? Is seems that the housing compared to NYC/NJ is much more affordable... and that mortgage dollars seem to go a lot further than rental dollars. Are most neighborhoods part of developments/gated communites/Housing associations?

So basically, I'm asking for JAX area people to offer up the best advice you've got! TiA!

Replies

• NamibianRose
    NamibianRose Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    bump
  • XplantJax
    XplantJax Posts: 5
    Options
    bump in hopes that people actually do live in Jacksonville.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Do not live in jax proper...all ghetto
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I live in Jax and, contrary to Lone_Wolf70's opinion, it's not all ghetto. I live on the southside of town, probably in the general area you are referring to, and love it. I live in a development with an association. It's not gated, but there are plenty of gated communities if that's what you are looking for, and plenty of developments like mine. There are also a lot of regular residential areas too if that's your thing. There are nice areas to live in all parts of town, but your best bet, in my opinion, is to stay south and east of the river.
  • SaraBelle0312
    SaraBelle0312 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I live in SE Jax- Mandarin/Southside area and it is wonderful. There are alot of neighborhoods, developments, town homes, and just a great place to live. Feel free to add me and ask all the questions. But definitely SE is the place to go.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    i agree with the above.. im also in southside of jax and its NOT the ghetto. best part of jax IMO ... outside of right on the beach of course =)
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    My Mother moved up to Jax about five years ago in the St Johns area.
    It is pretty much on the SE side and it is far from ghetto.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Options
    I wontive in any community that isnt gated.
  • stephenglover
    stephenglover Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Well I live on what some people call a bad side of town, (Westside) However I am in the country not the hood!

I hate Jacksonville or what it has turned to, however you can find some decent areas. Stay away from 103rd street area, arlington area. I no you dont want to give exact addy but if you want I could help with advice been here all my life and work in contsruction which by the way isnt booming here, Good luck either way.

I wouldnt live in a Gated community if I was getting paid to do it, Cant park a boat in your on yard, even a nice boat not junk, frigging Nazi's.

Sorry, I am just a country boy that needs room to roam 5 acres actually.

Also our Schools have went to crap over the last ten years, If your talking Nocatee not so bad but do your homework on schools, please.
  • jennadelane
    jennadelane Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    There are nice sections in EVERY part of Jacksonville. Yes, the Westside and Northside have more undesirable neighborhoods with higher crime rates, but there are good pockets. Having said that, the nicest part of town is the "southside" with the nicest part of that neighborhood being south of Atlantic Blvd and east of I-295. Mandarin, Baymeadows, and all four beaches are nice too. Jacksonville is a great city, 99% of the transplants I know here love it. Each gated community (there arent THAT many of them) has their own rules, so definitely look at that before you buy. Most of the older neighborhoods do not have associations (so no fees!) but a lot of the newer ones do. Good luck!
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Options
    Well I live on what some people call a bad side of town, (Westside) However I am in the country not the hood!

I hate Jacksonville or what it has turned to, however you can find some decent areas. Stay away from 103rd street area, arlington area. I no you dont want to give exact addy but if you want I could help with advice been here all my life and work in contsruction which by the way isnt booming here, Good luck either way.

I wouldnt live in a Gated community if I was getting paid to do it, Cant park a boat in your on yard, even a nice boat not junk, frigging Nazi's.

Also our Schools have went to crap over the last ten years, If your talking Nocatee not so bad but do your homework on schools, please.

u dont park a boat in your yard because it ruins your lawn and it looks trashy.
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options

Not wanting to look out my window and see your boat, RV, or broken down car = me being a Nazi. OK. I'm good with that.
  • stephenglover
    Options
    Lets see I pay taxes so yes I should be able to park it there, doesnt look trashy probably nicer than you give me credit for, and my lawn could probably be in a Scotts commercial. So there you go.

Sorry to the OP just throwing in my 2 cents. on paying people to tell you what you can and can not due with your land you pay for, or in my case own.

Peace to the Nazi's, lol. I am good with my choices!
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Lets see I pay taxes so yes I should be able to park it there, doesnt look trashy probably nicer than you give me credit for, and my lawn could probably be in a Scotts commercial. So there you go.

Sorry to the OP just throwing in my 2 cents. on paying people to tell you what you can and can not due with your land you pay for, or in my case own.

Peace to the Nazi's, lol. I am good with my choices!
    I agree with both sides.
    People live in gated communities because they feel the need to live by and have the rest of the neighborhood, live by a particular set of pre-defined rules.
    Personally, I have lived in both a gated community and a non-gated community.
    The final straw came when I got fined for leaving my boat hooked to my truck overnight insted of unhooking it Saturday evening just to hook it back up Sunday morning.
    Thanks but, I will stay right where I am. outside of a gated community.
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    People are so touchy lol I'm going to Jax this weekend. I hope I didn't book a hotel in the ghetto :laugh:
  • XplantJax
    Options
    Oh wow, thanks for all the info! I was terrified that i'd come back and it'd still be crickets.

Glad to hear that what I was think along the way of area sounds to be on par. The office is in that area, so it would be an awesome non-commute (compared to 2 hours of train riding from Central NJ to Downtown Manhattan).

Gated communities/Housing associations scare me only in the way that some of you mentioned... while I don't want to park a boat in my yard :wink: , I don't know how my husband (or I) would feel about buying a property and then constantly be told what we can and can't do. We're low-key people, but we like our freedom!

I've mainly been looking between Atlantic and Butler Blvds and east of 295. It seems like most of the rentals are apartments/condos ($1200 for a 3BR) where you can get a good size 4BR house for less than that with a decent mortgage. Makes it more enticing to buy.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I've heard great things about the zoo and shopping. I'd love to hear about any other great draws that would keep the kiddos entertained. I think the beach will help with that for the first few months!
  • stephenglover
    Options
    Hope it all works out for you and your family. Good Luck!!
  • XplantJax
    Options
    Hope it all works out for you and your family. Good Luck!!

Thanks! I'm hoping so too!
  • jennadelane
    jennadelane Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses. I've heard great things about the zoo and shopping. I'd love to hear about any other great draws that would keep the kiddos entertained. I think the beach will help with that for the first few months!

Since you asked :happy: , I'll plug the Catty Shack Ranch Wildlife Sanctuary on the northside of town for family outings. I'm a volunteer there and it is a sanctuary for big cats. We currently have lions, tigers, leopards, cougars, bobcats, and two other non-cat species. We're open on select days (weekends) and its an awesome time, you get to see the animals super close! Our website is cattyshack.org for directions and hours of operation!
  • XplantJax
    Options
    Thanks!