Is too much fruit bad for you?????

Options
Ok so I eat about 3-4 different fruits a day. I keep hearing eat apples it will fill you up so i try to eat as much as i can. But My calorie counter says I should only consume 24 grams of sugar a day with my 1200 calorie intake. So since Im eaitng my fruits (mind you instead of chocolate and other sugars I shouldnt be eating) I go over negative like 15 grams of sugar. So should I not be eating so much fruit then. What do I eat when I have a sugar craving?? Pls help..thanks

Replies

• raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I dont think the rapid obsecity epidemic is caused by fruits... i think fruits are great for you and even 4 fruits a day is awesome... i dont think you should look at the sugar intake with fruits
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    It's okay if you go over your sugar goal with fruits. I eat a ton of fruit and go over often, and I'm still fine. In fact, fruit gives me more energy, so I can burn enough calories so that the sugar doesn't really matter.

Some people will say sugar is sugar, but it's much healthier to eat 200 grams of sugar than it is to eat 200 grams of cake. Fruit won't make you fat.
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be too worried about the sugars consumed when you eat fruit. They're simple sugars, yes, but act like complex carbs and are digested slowly. Basically, they won't spike and crash your blood sugar like plain sugar can. Fruits are also *filled* with other nutritional benefits, like fiber, vitamins, and minerals.

So, go ahead and eat a lot a fruit. Its a healthy way to satisfy your sweet tooth.
  • cinasana
    cinasana Posts: 40
    Options
    I tend to have a different opinion....just slightly. I think fruits are excellent (who doesnt), but just remember that if you personally want to keep your sugar intake down, there is no nutrient that is not offered in veggies that are found in fruit :-)

"I" tend to do better and lean out more dramatically when I cut down sugar intake overall, whether that be from apples or frozen yogurt...

xo Jenny
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I ignore the sugar recommendation. I eat no processed sugars and almost all of my sugar comes from fruit.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    As long as you're staying within your caloric goals going over on your sugar (especially if it's from a healthy source like fruits) is not a problem unless you're diabetic.

It's only the absence of fruits and vegetables from the typical North American diet that is the problem.
  • shvrngrl
    shvrngrl Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I've read your fruit to veg ratio should be 1:3. I love fruit too and haven't applied this principle. I am happy with my little dietary changes that I have made. I would imagine eventually I will follow this ratio, but not now.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    you are good with fruit... especially if it is 4 items a day... i mean its fruit and not strawberry jam or anything
  • yoliprdr
    yoliprdr Posts: 13
    Options
    Thank you to everyone...FYI tho I do eat veggies everyday too... just prefer fruits...lol (but who doesnt) So im just gonna keep eating my fruits and not worrying about the sugar..thanks guys!!
  • Jesse_Hunter
    Jesse_Hunter Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I ate 12 bananas for lunch, you'll be fine.

http://www.icallthisliving.com/