Cardio for a Weak Ankle?

Options
My left ankle has been hurting me when I exercise (yoga, fitness dancing, etc). Does anyone know any low impact cardio workouts that I could do to go easy on my ankle?

Thanks,
Emily

Replies

• mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Maybe the ellipitical since you aren't actually picking your feet up and down. If it is hurting though, you may want to get it checked out to make sure you don't make it worse.
  • datikihut21
    datikihut21 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Agreed! I usually run 4-8 miles a day and have been experiencing some serious ankle pain the past couple days, especially this morning. Think I'm taking tomorrow off from the running.
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    i have an issue with my ankle as well....i stick with an exercise bike or the elliptical :smile:
  • sjr123we
    sjr123we Posts: 2
    Options
    Elliptical yes.
    Deep Water Running is amazing and zero impact. But it needs a pool--check your local Y.
    Aqua aerobics in the shallow end is low impact.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Maybe try biking? I broke my toe and foot and I've been biking with a surgical boot on and cant even bend my ankle so you should be able to. Biking is awesome for cardio. Maybe wrap the ankle with tape first? Good luck
  • Freyja2023
    Freyja2023 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    shadow boxing. You can sit and start punching the air pretending you are hitting a bag just remember to get a lot over your punches over your head that will get the heart pumping, swimming is also great for weak ankles. Good luck
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    biking, swimming
  • sjr123we
    sjr123we Posts: 2
    Options
    3 x 15 minute intervals on the elliptical interspersed with 2 breaks for strenght exercises gets max burn out of your workout.
  • raindance_maggie
    Options
    i totally gaffed my ankle last weekend and i am able to do the bike. i go to spin class and i wear an ankle support when i go.
  • gibsy
    gibsy Posts: 112
    Options
    Aquafit! I screwed up both of my flimsy weak ankles when I tried to take up running and had the same dilemma. Aquafit is gentle on the ankles (especially if you do it in the deep end) and it actually helped mine heal and get stronger. Cycling is also low impact and will help to strengthen your ankles. Take it easy and only gradually push your limits if they are very sensitive.
  • rmandree
    rmandree Posts: 9
    Options
    Walking, elliptical machine, biking, some water aerobics. I have the same problem. I find that if I walk continuously or daily, then it gets better. Depends on what the fitness routine in the water, it helps, but the impact of bouncing onto the floor or jumping really affects my ankle. May have to experiment with different things to find what works for you.
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I broke my ankle in feburary. Its very weak... The cardio (though ive been very much limiting it) that feels the best is swimming, and the ARC traner. Does your gym have one? It looks like :
    2qd0j6t.jpg

Walking/Running on the treadmills hurt the most. Biking hurts.
    Just my experience!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I broke my ankle in feburary. Its very weak... The cardio (though ive been very much limiting it) that feels the best is swimming, and the ARC traner. Does your gym have one? It looks like :
    2qd0j6t.jpg

Just my experience!

Oooh I want one! I didn't know these were different from eliptical .... nice (article said these are less stressful on knees too)
  • mochaphobic
    mochaphobic Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I just had several weeks of pt on my ankle due to injury to the tendons and they had me warm up with 10 minutes on the bicycle then 20 - 30 minutes of strengthening exercises. But they said the key thing was to make sure when I am done with exercising that I ice the area for 10 minutes and elevate it to alleviate swelling. Any of the exercises here that others listed were approved for me as being gentle enough to do if it doesn't cause extra pain so they should probably be okay for you too.
  • extraordinary023
    Options
    Thank you everyone, I have a stationary bike but I hate it...I guess I'll just have to get over that. Pool aerobics has always sounded interesting to me, maybe this will be my push to actually start it!

Thanks again!
    Emily
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    2qd0j6t.jpg

Just my experience!

Oooh I want one! I didn't know these were different from eliptical .... nice (article said these are less stressful on knees too)

I like them better then the elliptical, harder, more settings.