Where To Start: Strength/HIIT/Interval Training

Can any tell me a good place to look/figure out how to design a decent exercise plan? I'm already running 3 days a week and want to incorporate strength, HIIT, or interval training on my "off" days. Something that I can change around when I get bored/need to progress.

Thanks for any assistance!

PS Once you're appropriately toned and at your goal, what do you do to keep yourself continuously challenged and interested whilst exercising? How does your workout routine change?

Replies

• docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    With strength training, I recommend you start with a solid beginner's strength program, id est Stronglifts 5x5 or Rippetoe's Starting Strength. Don't mess around with the program or the numbers until you no longer are progressing on each one. At that point, you move on to an intermediate strength program or bodybuilding-style program, depending on your goals.

Also for me, my goal keeps changing, so it's hard to say what I'll do if I ever reach a goal. I can't see my workout changing much; I love strength training. At most, I'd vary the amount of cardio I do in each phase.
  • With strength training, I recommend you start with a solid beginner's strength program, id est Stronglifts 5x5 or Rippetoe's Starting Strength. Don't mess around with the program or the numbers until you no longer are progressing on each one. At that point, you move on to an intermediate strength program or bodybuilding-style program, depending on your goals.

Also for me, my goal keeps changing, so it's hard to say what I'll do if I ever reach a goal. I can't see my workout changing much; I love strength training. At most, I'd vary the amount of cardio I do in each phase.

Thanks so much! I was starting to hear about Stronglifts. Does it include legs and abdominals?
  • litnerd4life
    litnerd4life Posts: 19 Member
    I am obsessed with bodyrock.tv. They have so many 12 minute interval training routines it's ridiculous! They typically post a new video every day, and they are almost always full body. A lot of it is with bodyweight alone, but they do use some equipment that you can easily modify using whatever equipment you have handy. Super fun, and always different! And it kicks your booty :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    With strength training, I recommend you start with a solid beginner's strength program, id est Stronglifts 5x5 or Rippetoe's Starting Strength. Don't mess around with the program or the numbers until you no longer are progressing on each one. At that point, you move on to an intermediate strength program or bodybuilding-style program, depending on your goals.

Thanks so much! I was starting to hear about Stronglifts. Does it include legs and abdominals?

legs yes but since you are working compound lifts with free weights you are also always working for abs and other stabilizing muscles . just recently i did a heavy set of deadlifts and assisted pullups. the next day my entire core area felt like i had spent 15 minutes doing planks and side planks the day before. if you're following a strength training program like stronglifts or starting strength there really is no need to directly work the abs unless you really want to.

as for changing your workout routine once you reach your goals, i dont quite understand that. i personally exercise for fun and have been an exerciser since i was in high school. i was also a former athlete, so exercise has always been a part of my life even while i was gaining 80 pounds. i really cant foresee myself having an issue continuing to work out once i reach goal weight. so i doubt my routine will change much. i'll still lift like she-ra but i'll probably also add in some things i'm waiting to be smaller so i can start. mainly stuff like capoeira, parkour and gymnatics

• as for changing your workout routine once you reach your goals, i dont quite understand that. i personally exercise for fun and have been an exerciser since i was in high school. i was also a former athlete, so exercise has always been a part of my life even while i was gaining 80 pounds. i really cant foresee myself having an issue continuing to work out once i reach goal weight. so i doubt my routine will change much. i'll still lift like she-ra but i'll probably also add in some things i'm waiting to be smaller so i can start. mainly stuff like capoeira, parkour and gymnatics

I was always the kid that was just naturally skinny and had no interest in exercising. Now I am trying to make it a lifestyle thing in addition to being a healthy weight and size. So I'm trying to find ways to keep myself interested.

Capoeira is pretty sweet ;)
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Here is a ton of useful info for beginner weight training, nutrition, fat loss http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146519303

As for abs, to add to what has been said, in heavy weight training you will hit them enough for appearance. You work them directly more when it is about lack of ab strength hindering your big lifts. That said most lifters still work them directly a bit. I would recommend getting through a month or 2 of a strength training routine and then just adding a couple sets at the end of your workouts.
  • Here is a ton of useful info for beginner weight training, nutrition, fat loss http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146519303

As for abs, to add to what has been said, in heavy weight training you will hit them enough for appearance. You work them directly more when it is about lack of ab strength hindering your big lifts. That said most lifters still work them directly a bit. I would recommend getting through a month or 2 of a strength training routine and then just adding a couple sets at the end of your workouts.

Thanks again, so much! That was really helpful and gives me a good direction to start in :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member

as for changing your workout routine once you reach your goals, i dont quite understand that. i personally exercise for fun and have been an exerciser since i was in high school. i was also a former athlete, so exercise has always been a part of my life even while i was gaining 80 pounds. i really cant foresee myself having an issue continuing to work out once i reach goal weight. so i doubt my routine will change much. i'll still lift like she-ra but i'll probably also add in some things i'm waiting to be smaller so i can start. mainly stuff like capoeira, parkour and gymnatics

I was always the kid that was just naturally skinny and had no interest in exercising. Now I am trying to make it a lifestyle thing in addition to being a healthy weight and size. So I'm trying to find ways to keep myself interested.

Capoeira is pretty sweet ;)

what about taking up a sport like tennis or raquetball?

i do think that once i reach my goal weight i'll be spending less time in a gym. i've never been agile, so that might be a good time to do something like take ballet or some other type dance style that i've always felt too bulky to do
  • I do horseback riding, and even though it burns calories, it's something I do as a leisure activity. Tennis is a cool idea. Or maybe I can take up a form of dance like you mentioned.
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member

StrongLifts 5x5 (like Starting Strength) is a progressive strength regimen which comprises 5 major compound lifts: Back Squat, Deadlift, Standing Shoulder Press, Pendlay Row, and Bench Press.

Done progressively, regularly, and properly, these 5 lifts will provide all the core and abdominal work you need, as well as legs, arms, shoulders, pectorals, back, etc.

And they are way more fun and efficient than doing crunches ad infinitum.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Technically Starting Strength uses power cleans instead of rows, but whatever. I recommend actually buying and reading the Starting Strength book as it has excellent instruction on these core lifts as well as some of the best assistance lifts. This doesn;t compete with the book, but still a good write up on SS

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224
  • Technically Starting Strength uses power cleans instead of rows, but whatever. I recommend actually buying and reading the Starting Strength book as it has excellent instruction on these core lifts as well as some of the best assistance lifts. This doesn;t compete with the book, but still a good write up on SS

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

I am going to request that from my library, thanks!