Lose weight without gym?

Options
LeeM86
LeeM86 Posts: 124 Member
.The thing is I want to lose a lot of weight . My first objective is to lose around 50 lbs, and then consider losing more weight if necessary. But, I have a problem. I can't really join a gym because I live in a small city and the only gym here is part of a big hotel and it's too expensive for me right now.

I have to admit that I have been a lazy *kitten* for years, so my resistance when it comes to exercising is crap. Make me run 5 mins and I will choke on my own lungs. LOL. I'm doing Zumba right now to start getting used to working out (burning around 500 calories on daily basis), keep pushing my limits until I can start jogging little by little, and then add more working out time on my daily plans.

So, after all this rambling my question is... Can I lose all that weight and look toned even if I don't go to a gym? I don't expect to look like someone who works out a lot in a gym, just not get a lot of loose skin and stuff like that. I want to look healthier and toned.

Anyone here lost a lot of weight without working out in a gym?

Thanks.

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight and look "toned" without going to the gym. You can lose weight without exercising at all, but you wouldn't really look toned (depending of course on how you define that word).

I'm not a member of a gym and I've been able to increase my fitness with walking, running and using a stationery bike. I use a set of adjustable dumbells and my bodyweight for strength training. I also do yoga in my own home. There's a lot you can do with just your own body and there are free workouts on the internet that you could use. Try youtube for starters, and www.bodyrock.tv is good for workout videos.

It sounds like you've made a really good start with the zumba. Given that you have started out quite unfit, and have been reluctant to exercise in the past, I think it's a good idea to start out gently and gradually increase what you're doing. For a "toned" look - again, it depends what you mean by that, but if you want a bit of muscle definition, then it's a good idea to do some strength training, whether with weights or just body weight. Strength training's a good idea anyway, for overall health and fitness, as well as burning fat. Don't worry, you wouldn't get "too" muscular by accident.
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I think you can lose weight and look toned and no have to go to the gym. You do need to do:

1) some cardio
    2) strength training (which can be done at home)
    3) and most important - eat clean
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    never used a gym would like to now just cant afford at the mo :sad:

Walking,running,swimming whatever you can do will burn the cals...:drinker:
  • Rynoman2k3
    Rynoman2k3 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I've lost 50+ ( My tracker below lies) and haven't been to a gym yet. I watch what i eat and exercise. I found that I love rollerblading! I do about 5 miles 5 times a week. Sometimes i jog or run. I've also got a Fitbit. Handy pricey little thing but i love it!
  • cuelgirl
    cuelgirl Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am a member of a gym... but a lot of the stuff I do there, I could definately do at home or outside... and a lot of times I choose NOT to go to the gym and do something outside instead! walking, swimming, lifting weights and running...
  • nmullins81
    nmullins81 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have lost all my weight without 1 trip to a gym. Most of my loss has been from logging my food and staying within my calorie goals by MFP. I did actually start working out a little over a month ago- I am doing Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred- and some tone has definitely come out with that. Running was awesome using the Ease into 5K program on my iPhone, but leaving my house is a little iffy some mornings so I went to the DVD.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I think you can lose weight and look toned and no have to go to the gym. You do need to do:

1) some cardio
    2) strength training (which can be done at home)
    3) and most important - eat clean

Simple and to the point

In fact, I would go as far as saying that those 3 simple things are nearly all that anybody ever needs to know diet and fitness

I would just add a couple of other things to that even though they are obvious

4) Watch your calorie consumption - you can still get fat by eating a ton of clean healthy foods!
    5) Make sure your macros are correct - eating only clean, healthy cucumber for example will not work!
  • roguestates
    roguestates Posts: 223
    Options
    BODY WEIGHT FITNESS! I don't have access to a decent gym either, but I've been rotating cardio (walking, jump rope, jumping jacks) that can be done at home and body weight exercise routines. Check out NerdFitness or the Reddit bodyweight community. It's fantastic exercises for which you need no equipment or membership.
  • LeeM86
    LeeM86 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Sorry, english is not my first language so sometimes it's kind of hard to find the right word. By toned I only mean that, since I plan to lose a lot of weight, I wouldn't want a lack of exercise to make me have loose skin or stuff like that. I want to have some muscle definition, but much, just a little bit.

Thank you for your replies. I'm really new to all this "not dieting but eating healthy, and added exercise" thing, so I guess I have a lot of stupid questions. But I keep seeing how practically everyone I talk to goes to the gym and work outs a lot, and I wanted to know if working out at home would be effective too. :)

Question solved.
    never used a gym would like to now just cant afford at the mo :sad:

Walking,running,swimming whatever you can do will burn the cals...:drinker:

I went to a gym years ago, and loved it. It was hard at first but loved the feeling of working out a lot, but they closed that gym and the only one left in my city is veryyyy expensive. So, no gym for me. xD Can't afford it.

Already trying to do that.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    www.c25k.com
    http://www.bodyrock.tv/ (I'd go for the older workouts there, from 2009-2011 when Zuzana was still hosting the workouts)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ZuzkaLight?feature=watch
    http://www.workoutbox.com/workouts/home-workouts/

You can also look on your local freecycle for equipment. That's where I got nearly everything I own. You really don't HAVE to work-out, but you'll probably look and feel better if you do.
  • shyeban
    shyeban Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Definitely. I'd really recommend trying to get a second hand bike - great workout - but there is so much you can do with your own body weight. Look around online (pinterest, youtube, etc) for tutorials and videos on bodyweight exercises.
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I've been here for three weeks so far and I'm not using a gym (except that I do play badminton with my family and we go to a sports centre to do it -- but it would be easy to substitute tennis or basketball or something else that can be played for free in the park). I'm losing ok at the moment and have a long way to go. I'm doing cardio at home (wii games but you can find plenty of cardio videos on YouTube), plus walking in the neighbourhood, plus stairs (my house has 30 stairs in it which helps, but at any rate I'm trying to do at least 200 up stairs a day); at least half an hour in total per day which isn't that much really. Then I am doing bodyweight strength exercises (again, YouTube or google to find good ones) three times a week. I also have some dumbbells which I scrounged off a mate but I'm only using the bars at present! It's a long time before I'll know if I have a loose skin problem, but I'm feeling fitter and have more energy already.
  • ValkyrieFD
    ValkyrieFD Posts: 83
    Options
    I can't tell you how much I love Jillian Michaels DvD's. My favorite of the three I have is the No More Trouble Zones, which is a circuit work out. You get strength AND cardio all at once in 40 mins. All you need is small hand weights and you are good to go. Commit to that every couple of days, and you are set!!! <3
  • athangap
    athangap Posts: 17
    Options
    I don' t go to gym and I lost 20 pounds last year . I was 150 now down to 130. You can try a lot of home workouts with NO equipment like..

1. to start with - try turbo jam / kick - chalean is just awesome !!
    2. Turbo Fire (little Intense for beginners ).
    3. P90X - Kempo X , Cardio X... Abs..

For toning ,

chalean extreme is the best .

and you can try INSANITY , Insanity Asylum at last :smile:
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I don't have time for the gym with a toddler.
    I stick to walks, chasing him around, and at-home exercise DVDs.
  • CoachPetrina
    CoachPetrina Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have gotten far more toned and fit with home workouts than I did while hitting the gym every day. A gym isn't required to get you fit- commitment & effort are and you can give it your all in your living room. Bodyrock.tv has great free workouts. You can find stuff for cheap at Target or if you're willing & able to spend more, Beachbody has a number of great home workout programs (full disclosure: I'm an independent Coach). I've done Insanity, The Asylum, P90X, TurboFire and Les Mills PUMP. Bonus too is they come with nutrition plans that help teach you to eat right to get the absolute best results. I run Challenge Groups that have been quite successful on Facebook- you get the extra support/accountability of a group which can prove critical for some to stick to a program. If you ever want to learn more, you can PM me here or email me at coachpetrina@yahoo.com.

Best of luck to you! Your goal is within reach.
  • Kailuen
    Kailuen Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Purchase a yogaball and some weights! Also, you could do insanity, you could download it.
  • Jesse_Hunter
    Jesse_Hunter Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Strive for optimal health, not weight loss at any cost.

http://www.icallthisliving.com
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    The short answer is YES !

The long answer is just do something ..... anything ...... walking is free & you don't need to run ..... some of us DON'T run, ever :smile:

Yoga, dance, Pilates, etc ..... look for programs on your TV or computer ..... or get from your library ..... or ask your friends or neighbors ...... and you don't need to buy a new outfit LOL

Check craigslist or local yard sales for a few inexpensive handweights to tone your arms .... START SMALL ..... or use the infamous Campbell's soup cans (better than eating it LOL) or some bottles of water ......

And NO, you don't need to buy a treadmill or gazelle or whatever the heck's out there .....

Best of luck !
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Get some weights and do lunges, squats, deadlifts, etc. at home. Mix it up with a few minutes of jump rope, jumping jacks, jogging in place in between each set. Do this for 10-15 mins three times a day or 30-45 mins once a day. You will see the inches come off! (Take rest days as well.)