Help me lose weight???

Options
Hello all. I'm trying to drop 20 or so pounds and lose some body fat. I was thinking about starting HIIT. I can't go outside and run or do sprints but I can use my stationary bike or my treadmill (I'd easily prefer the bike, lol). I was thinking for now, exercising hard for about 30 - 45 seconds, then going at a slow pace for about 60 - 90 seconds, and repeat about 7 times. And then the rest of the time just go at a slightly challenging, but not too intense pace. (I plan on exercising for about 30 minutes in the morning, on an empty stomach, since that's all I have time for). As I get stronger, I'll increase the length of time to like 75 - 90 seconds of hard and 75 - 90 second of light, and make the whole workout HIIT. For now, I can only do a limited amount of HIIT...

I don't think I'll burn many calories this way, at least at first. So is it OK if I still workout in the afternoon? To see my normal afternoon workout, here's a previous topic of mine:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/670894-dance-dance-revolution

Does this all sound alright? Thank you!

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    True HIIT can only be performed for 12-20 minutes tops. If you can do more than that, it isn't HIIT.

I do 3x a week HIIT on the treadmill. Mine consists of 2 min walk 4.0, 1 min jog 6.5, 30 seconds of sprints at 9.0, 1.5 min cooldown walk at 4.0, 1 min jog repeated, etc. until I hit 20 minutes. I am BEAT after this. I cannot do it on consecutive days, and I cannot do it on the days I do legs.

I'd say if you do this in the morning, it would be ok to do another workout in the afternoon, as long as it isn't another HIIT session and doesn't involve your legs.
  • CoachPetrina
    CoachPetrina Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    kdiamonds is right - though I have done 25-30 minute sessions every once in a while as well. And never ever on back to back days. TurboFire is a pretty great HIIT based cardio program you can do at home- no treadmill or equipment required. In July, there's a free 30 day trial offer for the TurboFire Challenge Pack (workout program, Shakeology and club membership with meal plans). If you want to learn more, you can PM me here or email me at coachpetrina@yahoo.com.

Best of luck to you! Make sure you don't overdo it- no HIITs on consecutive days and only one HIIT workout on the days you do them. Take care!