Do you give yourself rewards for losing weight?

Options
I big problem of mine: before, when I used to accomplish something I wanted (a 4.0 GPA in college, and A on my final, etc) I would reward myself with food. Now, when I am losing weight, I am wanting to set rewards for myself - it's just something that works well for me.

My question:
Do you reward youself with small things?
If so, what're they?

So far, mine are these:
Goal one: bath and body trip
Goal two: nose piercing & new makeup!
Goal three: jewelry shopping spree
Goal four: belly button piercing
Goal five: brand new wardrobe!

Replies

• erin023
    erin023 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I always set up a reward system for myself but then I give in and do those things before I reach my goal. I need to try again.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    My wife usually (unknowingly/subconsciously) rewards me for losing weight... ;)
  • harliedyan
    harliedyan Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    my grandpa who was a fitness instructor when he was younger told me to never reward myself with food - that i wasn't a dog. so now every time i think of that, it makes me smile. i always like to reward myself with things i don't get often, so it makes it more special. for example, there is this little ethnic boutique my by college and its super expensive, and i like to get weird little trinkets or african beads, or a dream catcher or something like that. my biggest reward though (hopefully to come next summer) will be a cruise to the bahamas. whatever the reward it should be something good - that way it motivates you, as well as makes you feel proud of what you've accomplished :)
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Yes. I set mini goals and celebrate when I achieve each one. I am kind of a political animal, so when I reach goals, I send a contribution to one of my favorite candidates. I also buy new clothes, if needed. I like to shop at an area consignment store so I don't pay so much for "transition clothes".
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I love piercings, so my goal when I hit 150 is to get my second bellybutton piercing, on the bottom part of the navel instead of the top. (I already have the top, that was my reward for getting an interview for my current job in March 2011)
  • AlyssaWannabe
    AlyssaWannabe Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I still have a long ways to go, so my reward list is long!

The rewards are going to get bigger and more expensive as my weight gets smaller. So now all I need is to also make a goal of having a larger income once I'm thin and healthy. LOL

Current weight: 187
    First goal weight: *not obese*185 (reward- new book)
    2nd goal weight: 179 (reward- new candle)
    3rd goal weight: 169 (reward- fancy school supplies)
    4th goal weight: 159 (reward- dinner & movie)
    5th goal weight: *not overweight* 154 (reward- massage)
    6th goal weight: 149 (reward- Charmed and Angel on DVD)
    7th goal weight: 139 (reward- weekend away)
    FINAL goal weight: 135 (reward- designer jeans)
    next goal: maintain 135 for 3 months (reward- designer dress)
    next goal: maintain 135 for 6 months (reward- vacation)
    next goal: maintain 135 for 9 months (reward- designer jeans #2)
    next goal: maintain 135 for 12 months (reward- entire new wardrobe)
  • wildfire21
    wildfire21 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I do a reward system. Some good things to reward yourself with are new clothes, shoes, purses. Getting a manicure or pedi or both. New jewlery. Some things non food related.
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    my grandpa who was a fitness instructor when he was younger told me to never reward myself with food - that i wasn't a dog. so now every time i think of that, it makes me smile. i always like to reward myself with things i don't get often, so it makes it more special. for example, there is this little ethnic boutique my by college and its super expensive, and i like to get weird little trinkets or african beads, or a dream catcher or something like that. my biggest reward though (hopefully to come next summer) will be a cruise to the bahamas. whatever the reward it should be something good - that way it motivates you, as well as makes you feel proud of what you've accomplished :)

I think I like your grandpa!
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Yup! It's good to reinforce yourself! Every once in a while I'll treat myself to something :)
  • jnagy9886
    jnagy9886 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I think the best reward is being able to fit into clothes that I haven't worn in years! But before I knew that feeling I had set up the following rewards for myself::

Here are the rest of my goals/rewards:
    1st Goal: 220 <Reward: iPhone 4S> *Achieved 4.21.12*
    2nd Goal: 195 <Reward: 1 Hr. Massage Session>
    3rd Goal: 175 <Reward: Night out with my girls>
    Final Goal: 165 <Reward: Trip to Las Vegas w/ my Hubby>

Reward for maintaining goal weight: A weekend at Country Concert (2013 or 2014)

Originally I thought my goal weight would be somewhere around 145 but I'm aiming for 165 as a set goal and once I get there I'm going to work on toning. Whatever weight comes off from there will just be the cherry on top. I dont want to be super skinny...I want to be fit!

Good Luck to you all.
  • Kona2014
    Kona2014 Posts: 38
    Options
    I've just rewarded myself with some new clothes, very happy!
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I don't really reward myself with anything. I don't find buying myself something motivates me anymore than just wanting to lose the weight.
  • Ballard12
    Ballard12 Posts: 109
    Options
    I reward myself, otherwise, I get bored and have nothing exciting at the end of my tunnel. I worked extra hard to hit my first goal! I had a set back due to my father being in the hospital with brain surgery and having to travel back and forth to S.F. for a month, but im getting back on track :)

1st Goal: 260lbs- Window Tint (achieved 4/30/12)
    2nd Goal: 245lbs- New Hair Cut and Style
    3rd Goal: 230lbs- Nails
    4th Goal: 215lbs- 3 New outfits
    5th Goal: 200lbs- New Couch (I want this Bad!)
    6th Goal: 185lbs- Rachel Ray Cookware
    7th Goal: 170lbs- New Clothes, 2pc Bathing suit
    Final Goal: 160lbs- Mexican Riviera Cruise
  • LisaB55
    LisaB55 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have been debating with myself whether I should reward myself for specific weight loss goals or if it would maybe make more sense to reward myself for behavioral accomplishments. Things such as logging or working out for a certain number of days, making a good choice when I know I am going to be faced with a difficult situation (like a business trip), improving my macros, etc. I don't really have complete control over my scale moving, but I do over the choices I make everyday. Has anyone ever done this? What behavioral changes have you decided to reward yourself for? I am thinking about taking my 16-year-old daughter, who is doing this with me, on a trip to a fairly reasonably priced spa in Utah I went to a number of years ago. There is lots of hiking, so it would be even more motivating as I would have to be in much better shape to even go there. I haven't figured out what I want us both to have accomplished before then.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    i used to reward myself with food all the time! and use food to make me feel better when i was annoyed, angry, whatever. so rewarding myself with SOMETHING was a big switch for me. once i hit the 50 pounds lost mark, and kept if off for two weeks, i purchased bike shorts. i figured it would be something i could use to help me continue to lose weight. having been up and down so much over the years in losing weight and putting it back on, i figured something that would help me keep it off was a good idea.

haven't been as focused lately and losing has vertainly slowed down, so i am thinking maybe a small reward for another 5 pounds or so...

good luck.
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    There are a few things I've always wanted to do but never felt skinny enough for. Those will be my rewards when I'm finished, but I wouldn't say they're really a reward so much as... just something I've always planned on doing when I could.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I have been debating with myself whether I should reward myself for specific weight loss goals or if it would maybe make more sense to reward myself for behavioral accomplishments. Things such as logging or working out for a certain number of days, making a good choice when I know I am going to be faced with a difficult situation (like a business trip), improving my macros, etc. I don't really have complete control over my scale moving, but I do over the choices I make everyday. Has anyone ever done this? What behavioral changes have you decided to reward yourself for? I am thinking about taking my 16-year-old daughter, who is doing this with me, on a trip to a fairly reasonably priced spa in Utah I went to a number of years ago. There is lots of hiking, so it would be even more motivating as I would have to be in much better shape to even go there. I haven't figured out what I want us both to have accomplished before then.

I did this. I told myself I had to work out at home 4-6 times a week for 120 days. Well, I accomplished that finally, so this Saturday I'm getting a gym membership! I wanted to make sure I would do it every day, no matter how tired I was.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I've rewarded myself for both weight loss and (addressing LisaB's question) fitness goals. Best example was a tattoo for completing the "Couch to 5K" running program. :)
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    No, but I should. It takes me so long to lose any weight that when I lose something finally, I see that as a reward in itself. I guess my reward is that my mind doesn't take a beating that day. :/
  • vara123
    vara123 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have three rewards, one for the 1/2 way point, one for the 3/4 mark and one for the end... I am 2kg from the half-way point so looking forward to it!

Going to get a lovely piece of jewellery for the first; a full body massage for the second; and a pair of designer shoes for the end... might have to raid the piggy bank a bit for all of that though!